Until recently I couldn't buy any apps from the BlackBerry World since I didn't have a card.

Fortunately, tomorrow I am going to pick up my debit card and of course, I want to buy all the apps I sideloaded illegally from the AppWorld.

My question is if there is any way for me to keep my old application data(settings, saved games- i would hate to lose my progress in some games).

Do I need to do anything to keep that data, can I just install the app from AppWorld and it's all going to be ok or there isn't any way I can still keep my data?
    04-09-12 03:52 AM
    The way I would imagine you'd have best chance of it working is purchasing the apps and installing them over the top of the pirated ones, without deleting first, but I make no guarantees. You must be prepared to lose your data as the cost of piracy.
    04-09-12 07:00 AM
    This thread is exactly why side loading is going to be closed off. Even though the OP now would like to do the right thing now not everyone will come to that conclusion.
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
    04-09-12 07:07 AM
    Until recently I couldn't buy any apps from the BlackBerry World since I didn't have a card.

Fortunately, tomorrow I am going to pick up my debit card and of course, I want to buy all the apps I sideloaded illegally from the AppWorld.

My question is if there is any way for me to keep my old application data(settings, saved games- i would hate to lose my progress in some games).

Do I need to do anything to keep that data, can I just install the app from AppWorld and it's all going to be ok or there isn't any way I can still keep my data?

Since I got my prepaid debt card I've bought tonnes of things online. I just ordered a 10' long HDMI cable for my Playbook. It has the standard and mini connectors so no adapters. This will replace the 5' long one.

It makes using the Internet much more fun.
    04-09-12 07:40 AM

Thanks for your belated honesty. Depending on how the pirate processed and signed the bar files, you may or may not retain your data when you install your legal copies. This should not be your main concern though. You also owe it to the developers to contact them and let them know the URL of the store where you obtained your illegal copies. You do not have to admit your theft but they would like have information needed to take the illegal site down.

A lot of developers are upset about these sites and not a few of them wrote emails to RIM expressing their annoyance. Unfortunately it's too late to dissuade RIM from blocking side-loading but you must understand that they cannot and do not differentiate between sites that offer free vs. paid apps for download. But RIM may have been more inclined to look the other way if the piracy had been limited to free apps.
    04-09-12 09:12 AM
    Thanks for your replies. I just got a call from the bank and the card will get to me the day after tomorrow

But as soon as I have it and I buy the apps I'll post again here what happened and if i still have my app data.
    04-09-12 09:24 AM
    Thanks for your replies. I just got a call from the bank and the card will get to me the day after tomorrow

But as soon as I have it and I buy the apps I'll post again here what happened and if i still have my app data.
    I just re-read your first post. I don't think that you can use a debit card as a payment method in App World. You could, however set up a PayPal account and link your bank account directly to it. Good luck with your purchases and enjoy.
    04-09-12 09:49 AM
    If it is a native application, installing over should work.
    If it is an Android App, maybe not.

No judgement from me for trying to do the right thing . But if any of the apps are mine, you can install the legal copy overtop.

Ed.
    04-09-12 10:37 AM
    Pre paid gift cards work so why not a debit?
    04-09-12 10:39 AM
    I just re-read your first post. I don't think that you can use a debit card as a payment method in App World. You could, however set up a PayPal account and link your bank account directly to it. Good luck with your purchases and enjoy.
    Over $3000 was charged when my Paypal account was hacked and I had never even used it or told anyone about it. So, I no longer trust Paypal because it is so unsecured. Luckily I didn't have to pay it back.
    04-09-12 10:41 AM
    I use a debit card for all my purchases in App World, works fine, no PayPal involved.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-09-12 12:33 PM
    I use a debit card for all my purchases in App World, works fine, no PayPal involved.
    I attempted to change my payment options in PlayBook AW and was only offered PayPal and Credit Card.The Options under "Credit Card" are the usual Visa, Mastercard etc but debit card is not listed. How do you set it ti an ordinary bank debit card (not a prepaid credit card)?
    04-09-12 02:41 PM
    I attempted to change my payment options in PlayBook AW and was only offered PayPal and Credit Card.The Options under "Credit Card" are the usual Visa, Mastercard etc but debit card is not listed. How do you set it ti an ordinary bank debit card (not a prepaid credit card)?
    The ordinary Debit card should be branded to either Visa or Master Card too.
    04-09-12 03:45 PM
    The ordinary Debit card should be branded to either Visa or Master Card too.
    In Canada, debit cards are branded by the bank. Unlike prepaid credit cards branded by Visa and the like, we can't use them in App World.
    04-09-12 04:06 PM
    In Canada, debit cards are branded by the bank. Unlike prepaid credit cards branded by Visa and the like, we can't use them in App World.
    Well at least you've got Prepaid cards. Here in Qatar only Credit cards allowed and no prepaid Visas/Masters.
    04-09-12 04:24 PM
    My debit card is a Visa card, so I just select "Credit Card" and then put the type as "Visa". Chances are your debit card is one of the options, even if it isn't explicitly branded as such on the card itself. You could always try it with various types if you really want to use a debit card instead.
    04-09-12 04:36 PM
    Well, I got my card today.

The bad news is that every time i try to buy an app I get Error 11300. I searched for this error, but apparently nobody has any idea what it does...

Gonna try again later today...

LE: tried to re-enter the card info and Error 12000(The type of credit card and currency being used is not currently supported.). Dafu*k?! Visa Electron is not supported?
    Last edited by new_me222; 04-11-12 at 04:48 AM. Reason: ...
    04-11-12 04:44 AM
    Well, I got my card today.

The bad news is that every time i try to buy an app I get Error 11300. I searched for this error, but apparently nobody has any idea what it does...

Gonna try again later today...

LE: tried to re-enter the card info and Error 12000(The type of credit card and currency being used is not currently supported.). Dafu*k?! Visa Electron is not supported?
    According to my knowledge from Banks in Qatar, Visa Electron is a Debit Card allowed for use in ATMs only however some banks may enable it for Online use but most banks don't to protect the customer account. Please check with your bank if they enabled the online purchases on it. If yes but AppWorld refused it try creating a new BBID and link it to the new BBID. If it didn't work you will have to use PayPal
    04-11-12 04:51 AM
    Yes, online purchases are activated.

I just bought some other licenses online and it worked like a charm.
    04-11-12 04:52 AM
    Yes, online purchases are activated.

I just bought some other licenses online and it worked like a charm.
    Then you've got 4 solutions.
    1. Try creating a new BBID. Could be just bugged BBID as my old one.
    2. Use PayPal
    3. Search Online for Virtual Credit Card providers (Who will provide Virtual Credit Card which you can transfer a specific amount of money from your Visa Electron)
    4. If AppWorld refused Virtual Visa too, use Virtual Visa with PayPal it will be safe anyway because if PayPal got hacked the hacker will only be able to use the limited money you transfered t your Virtual Visa not the main real card.
    04-11-12 04:57 AM
    Yes, apparently bugged BlackBerry ids exist. It's plain idiotic.

Fortunately, I made another BBID and after several security wipes(no, if you have a bugged id with error id 12000, 10000 or 13000 and you wipe it won't do you any good) I managed to buy apps from the store.

I backed up all my application data, I'm gonna hit restore pretty soon and I will be back to relate here.

LE: Yes, I can confirm. All my application data(including saved games) is useless. Not compatible with the new, legal apps. I'm sure there is a way to find them(aka a special developer folder for application data), but I'm not going to pursue it anymore.
    Last edited by new_me222; 04-11-12 at 10:58 AM.
    04-11-12 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD