A work around that requires me to pay some third party app developer A SUBSCRIPTION,
    AND
    Leave my home PC burning 24/7.

Yeah, you can hold your breath while you wait for me to do that.
    Here's an idea... Why doesn't RIM pay Netflix to make an APP... And sell it in their store?
    Oh right... Because like a petulant child RIM is going to stop their feet and hold their breath until someone pays attention to them.

I had enough of these kludges and work arounds when I was in the Amiga cult.
    Yup, doesn't work for you - thats great lol. I don't see anywhere where someone said this solution is great for everyone.

Works excellent for me though - I have a home server I use for all my media servers / minecraft servers / etc etc. And I make more than enough money that 3 bux a month is not worth worrying about. So this might be a "horrible" solution to someone like you. But for people like me, this is a walk in the park - and I'm more than happy with this for Netflix .

I mean really, whats another open port on my server, a few minutes to setup, and a few dollars? I don't care about the work-around as long as it works - heck thats why I use Connect to TVersity for the PlayOn (its simpler and easier). And it does what I want as easy as I need it. So I'm not going to complain about the OP

I would prefer a free netflix app, but there isn't one, so why sit around dreaming about it? When and if one comes available, I'll start using it. Until then, PlayOn is fine with me.
    Last edited by KermEd; 04-03-12 at 10:08 AM.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    04-03-12 10:05 AM
    If memory serves this is a U.S. service only....not available in Canada.... I think it is great there is a workaround... Just a word of caution however... When something is a workaround.... those being worked around start looking for ways to stop it.... Vicious cycle.....

It sort of like all those IP changing programs on the PC... eventually the address gets black listed and next thing you know it no longer works... Was a great workaround while it lasted.....
    It works great in Canada. I use it frequently. Also, its not a high risk for any of those things. It basically watches the video on your PC as if you were sitting there and pushes the video feed to your PlayBook using Flash.

Netflix is aware of PlayOn and using PlayOn to push to your PB and has been aware of it since day one. They work closely with PlayOn - they aren't enemies secretly looking for ways to steal information from eachother lol!
    04-03-12 10:13 AM
    I can confirm that PlayOn does work with Netflix.ca in Canada. Hulu however does not. If you use a service to get around the geoblocking, then Hulu works and Netflix doesn't LOL!
    Its because Netflix in PlayOn is now pointing to the U.S store Netflix.com when using the work around. If I had a separate U.S Netflix account then it would work. You can use your Netflix.ca account to use Netflix.com only within web browsers and iOS devices for when you travel across the border. Too bad PlayOn isn't seen as a web browser. Oh and the PS3 for some reason works as well, although I don't know anyone that would travel with one of those. (no for Xbox and Wii)

**Update** Xbox works as well now. I never bothered to test the Wii
    Last edited by FreeJACLive; 05-08-12 at 09:58 AM.
    04-03-12 12:27 PM
    Nahhh, I'll just watch Netflix on my HD7.
    04-03-12 12:44 PM
    doesnt work in the UK
    04-13-12 03:19 PM
    Seem slike a big inconvience that you must have your pc on and running all the time in order for this to work.

What if your PC is off, and it's 2 floors down and your in bed and just want to watch a quick movie/tv show?

What if your PC is hooked up via ethernet? Do you have to now buy/hook it up via wifi in order for this to work?

And the paying an extra $5.00/month or $20.00/year? I understand an app developer needs to make money, but your already paying a subscription to Netflix and Hulu+. I doubt many would like to pay another.

just opinions/thoughts
    05-07-12 07:16 PM
    big inconvience....
    In the one hand yes compared to an Android device running netflix app. On the other hand no, not as bad as having to go to the basement to watch a movie.

What if your PC is off, and it's 2 floors down and your in bed and just want to watch a quick movie/tv show?
    Then your out of luck. Most of the people who want Netflix bad enough use media servers, vnc, minecraft servers, etc. For those of us this is just another server (i.e. No big deal).

What if your PC is hooked up via ethernet? Do you have to now buy/hook it up via wifi in order for this to work?
    Depends on your setup. I don't know anyone with a wired-only configuration in their homes. Even the cable modems here come with wifi 4xeth split. But if you haveno wifi at home, your PB is only working over 3g. And that means it will work it just does it over 3g vs your home connection.

And the paying an extra $5.00/month or $20.00/year? I understand an app developer needs to make money, but your already paying a subscription to Netflix and Hulu+. I doubt many would like to pay another.

just opinions/thoughts
    Yep, no one has said this is the perfect solution. But if you want Netflix and have a lifetime PlayOn acct already *or* you have plenty of funds like I do, then its peanuts for convenience .

You cant expect developers to rebuild netflix + ui + streaming + video + licensing. Netflix is closed sourceand uses Silverlight (alos xlosed source). Sorry mate

Splashtop is an idea too.

Ed
    05-07-12 09:15 PM

just opinions/thoughts
    you are just looking the small picture here, if you got playon's site you'll see there is more then just netflix and hulu involved with playon, for example i have a few scripts for playon that allow me to even watch live tv, you also get amazon prime, hbo go, pandora, nhl, foxgol, espn3 and a lot more, you can stream your own media library not just to the playbook but to any dlna enabled device.

PlayOn is more then just Netflix and Hulu+. you just need check it out, is an all in one solution for media streaming, best of all, is just one application to fit them all
    05-07-12 10:09 PM
    What might be an inconvenience
    to u might not be to the next person. For me it was the simplest solution to have Netflix and Hulu on my Playbook. Also Lifetime option is $40 and its free to try. For me this is cheap.
    This app does a lot more than Playing Netflix on your Playbook.
    I no longer have a Netflix account, but this app is still useful for a lot of other things.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-08-12 09:40 AM
    They should eliminate the need for a home server and offer computing in the cloud to do that (perhaps via Amazon EC2). We need something like OnLive, but for video content streaming rather than video games. I see they have OnLive Desktop, which could be used, but it's just iOS and Android.
    05-08-12 10:23 AM
    PlayOn is offering a 6-month subscription for $15 bucks. I finally caved and will try more than the 2-week trial. The kids have been asking about NetFlix again, so it's worth a trial. Was about to do the lifetime sub with free Roku, but this way I can get a better feel than the two week thing. Besides, I've got a Roku already that hasn't been used much lately. Not quite sure where it even is right now. Plus, I kinda like the feeling that I'm sticking it to Hulu, since they won't let us stream like a desktop browser and won't make a Hulu+ app either.

http://www.playon.tv/po/buy/
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 10-03-12 at 06:59 PM.
    10-03-12 06:57 PM
    PlayOn is offering a 6-month subscription for $15 bucks. I finally caved and will try more than the 2-week trial. The kids have been asking about NetFlix again, so it's worth a trial. Was about to do the lifetime sub with free Roku, but this way I can get a better feel than the two week thing. Besides, I've got a Roku already that hasn't been used much lately. Not quite sure where it even is right now. Plus, I kinda like the feeling that I'm sticking it to Hulu, since they won't let us stream like a desktop browser and won't make a Hulu+ app either.

Buy PlayOn Today | Watch Hulu, CBS.com, MLB.tv, Netflix, and more on your TV with PlayOn!
    I went for the lifetime with the roku. It was a second roku for me also but I keep it at the shore house. What's cool about playon and the roku is that you get hulu for free. Also I found lots of great playon scripts for extra playon channel, plus there are lots of private roku channels out there too.
    10-03-12 07:32 PM
    Use plex instead

Look here: Plex for Blackberry Playbook

For more info regarding android app
    10-09-12 09:41 PM
    Wow it looks neat
    10-09-12 09:45 PM
    Dumb question from noobie... does PlayOn use an app? If so, where do I find it? Is it an Android app I have to sideload?
    10-10-12 09:34 AM
    I think the side loaded plex works much better!! and its free!!
    10-10-12 10:47 AM
    Dumb question from noobie... does PlayOn use an app? If so, where do I find it? Is it an Android app I have to sideload?
    You access it through the browser. m.playon.tv
    10-10-12 11:42 AM
    I think the side loaded plex works much better!! and its free!!
    In what ways does it work better?
    10-10-12 11:49 AM
    Wow that is great news! When will it be available?
    10-10-12 12:43 PM
    This is kind of a stupid question but... what happens when you simply log in to Netflix using the browser on the Playbook?
    01-10-13 03:37 PM
    This is kind of a stupid question but... what happens when you simply log in to Netflix using the browser on the Playbook?
    You can login and see the movie lists, etc, but if you try to select a movie, it directs you to the page with the system requirements which doesn't list the PlayBook.

And using a different browser with a settable User ID doesn't work either. It seems to detect the platform in another way.
    01-10-13 04:27 PM
    You can login and see the movie lists, etc, but if you try to select a movie, it directs you to the page with the system requirements which doesn't list the PlayBook.

And using a different browser with a settable User ID doesn't work either. It seems to detect the platform in another way.
    Ah. Thanks for setting me straight. Can you rip a DVD or Blu-Ray onto the Playbook?
    01-11-13 11:44 AM
    Ah. Thanks for setting me straight. Can you rip a DVD or Blu-Ray onto the Playbook?
    Yes. There are a slew of threads and everybody seems to have a preference whether freeware or payware for the software that they prefer. The pb does not natively support AC3. So avoid that in any rip. But a paid pb app, Kalemsoft, can play pretty much any video you throw at the pb and it can also stream from your computer wirelessly.
    01-11-13 02:49 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD