What if you don't have BB phone?
    01-28-12 05:36 PM
    you don't need a BB phone use available wifi.
    so I did another test for those that dont have a BB phone.
    I went to a McDonald on the other side of the city and Used
    their wifi and Netflix and Hulu worked with no problem.
    so this is def a solution for those that must have Netflix.
    although I do hope an app is Available for the 2.0 release in Feb.
    01-29-12 03:07 PM
    For those who still cannot to get it to work, use the attached stand-alone installer for Silverlight *4*. Uninstall Silverlight 5 from your PC, reboot, install Silverlight 4, and make sure it does not update itself!!!

PlayOn support advised me to uninstall Silverlight, then launch a movie on Netflix to trigger the Silverlight push, but Netflix apparently pushes 5, which apparently does not work with PlayOn.

So. Silverlight 4 + PlayOn = Netflix on PlayBook. It worked for me.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 01-29-12 at 03:32 PM. Reason: attachment
    llllBULLSEYE and coppcopp like this.
    01-29-12 03:24 PM
    hi.
    seems there is only one comment from a canadian, does this playon work in canada (netflix)? hulu has never worked in canada
    thx keith
    01-29-12 04:17 PM
    I think I looked into Playon months ago ... before getting a Playbook ... but true to form, it didn't seem to work in Canada. We are limited to Rogers On Demand Online, CTV online, Showcase, etc.
    tofnow likes this.
    01-29-12 04:24 PM
    I'm about to hit the end of my 14 day free trial, and the limitation of not being able to use this outside of the house had left me on the fence. Then last night, I found out that one is able to watch ESPN live on (oddly enough) the ESPN3 channel. This rocks when you are watching a game and want to go in the backyard or bathroom.

....for your neighbor's sake, please go in the bathroom.
    gharshenin and WrightWords like this.
    01-29-12 04:52 PM
    so i have to pay an extra amount of money to watch netflix on the playbook? i think i will wait for the app to come out. I dont need to watch movies/shows that badly when im out.

But thanks for the post
    01-29-12 05:03 PM
    i have done a little searching on google and read a bit on playon/hotspotshield, has anyone from canada tried and got it working?
    keith
    01-29-12 08:20 PM
    this is bitchin!!
    It's not bitchin', it's a freaking JOKE that the PlayBook can't play Netflix or Hulu out of the gate. The only other tablet incapable of doing that is the webOS wonder......just saying. Even the $199 Kindle Fire does them both.

Ugh. Kindle is made by the same company, alot cheaper quality, yet the PlayBook can't do it.

Don't talk to me about software and all that crap, this is a tablet that should have that feature.

FAIL!
    02-01-12 04:54 PM
    so i have to pay an extra amount of money to watch netflix on the playbook? i think i will wait for the app to come out. I dont need to watch movies/shows that badly when im out.

But thanks for the post
    You're going to have seventeen hundred and forty three birthdays before this tablet has those apps.
    02-01-12 04:55 PM
    It's not bitchin', it's a freaking JOKE that the PlayBook can't play Netflix or Hulu out of the gate. The only other tablet incapable of doing that is the webOS wonder......just saying. Even the $199 Kindle Fire does them both.

Ugh. Kindle is made by the same company, alot cheaper quality, yet the PlayBook can't do it.

Don't talk to me about software and all that crap, this is a tablet that should have that feature.

FAIL!
    I wouldn't say it's a joke, let alone a "fail." They are shortcomings that matter to some people more than others. It matters to me -- both of my kids have Kindle Fires, and can watch Netflix while i cannot (at least on my PB) -- but it has value in many other, additional areas that equals, if not surpasses other tabs IMO.

Given your use of the tired term "fail," however, perhaps you might be happy with a Kindle Fire watching episodes of "Bratz Babies" with my kids on Netflix.
    KermEd and Foppa_21 like this.
    02-01-12 06:08 PM

FAIL!
    Actually, it did play Hulu out of the gate, Hulu then blocked it...
    02-01-12 07:01 PM
    Can't you use a Remote Desktop app to do the same thing? Just curious.
    02-01-12 07:30 PM
    I uninstalled PlayOn after only a few days. I never did get it to work beyond having both devices on the same WiFi, and it hardly seemed worth putting the effort into fixing it. Also, some of the other programs on my PC started acting very strangely after I installed PlayOn. Unrelated coincidence? Maybe. But as soon as I reverted back to right before the install, everything went back to normal.
    02-01-12 09:32 PM

FAIL!
    Do you know how long Android had to wait for a Netflix app? No? A LONG TIME. iOS did as well. WP7 was the only platform with Netflix supported at launch, and that's only because the Silverlight technology that Netflix's whole architecture relies on is built into the WP7 OS... so it was simple to make an app for it.

Playbook's QNX doesn't have a client yet, but I expect that it isn't too far off. They cover all the major platforms now, and the Playbook is slowly gaining more and more buyers. Also, compared to almost all other tablets, the Playbook is the ultimate media consumption tablet. Full flash support, 1080p high-profile playback over HDMI out, covers all the major video codecs, has amazing speakers for a tablet, and headphone output is as clean as possible since the Playbook uses Wolfson Audio's WM8994E.

Also, I should point out that it's not all roses with the Kindle Fire either. There's some pretty major bugs in it's current version of Netflix. Mainly audio sync. There's absolutely NOTHING that annoys me more than when the audio doesn't match the video. Instant no-go for me. All of that comes from the -poor job Amazon did in "customizing" Android for the Fire.

Your comment is the only thing I see as a fail here. It was childish, and almost rude.
    Chaddface, Foppa_21 and gharshenin like this.
    02-01-12 11:48 PM
    Can't you use a Remote Desktop app to do the same thing? Just curious.
    Yes, but it looks like you are viewing a webcam on dialup circa 1998. Kinda herky jerky, and not a pleasant viewing experience at all.

I uninstalled PlayOn after only a few days. I never did get it to work beyond having both devices on the same WiFi, and it hardly seemed worth putting the effort into fixing it. Also, some of the other programs on my PC started acting very strangely after I installed PlayOn. Unrelated coincidence? Maybe. But as soon as I reverted back to right before the install, everything went back to normal.
    I just plunked down the $20 for a year -- the live ESPN along with Netflix, Hulu Plus, and a ton of other feeds made it more or less worthwhile, given that my only other streaming option on the PB is Amazon Prime via the browser (unavailable on bridge, unfortunately -- can RIM please build a server in Buffalo or somewhere so I can stop misrepresenting myself as a Canadian online?).

The problem with Netflix on PlayOn is that it's a clumsy implementation and not at all what you get with a Netflix app on a smartphone, tab, or BD player/TV. The big problem for me is that there is no Recently Watched -- so you can't pick up viewing whatever it is that you had left off with on Netflix. And I mean at all.

You get a choice of Instant Queue, New Releases, etc. on the first menu. If you select your Instant Queue, you then get a menu with the options of browsing the queue alphabetically or seeing the "top 50" in your queue, whatever that is (and it certainly isn't what you have recently watched).

If you select Browse Alphabetically, yup, you get a list of letters. When you select the letter of the show/movie you had left and are presented with a list of titles in your queue beginning with that letter, and you scroll down to the title you had left off viewing (if it's a multi-season show like Breaking Bad or Mad Men, you have to drill down further in the menu by season and then episode), there is no indication that you have watched the title at all -- you have to start it from the beginning. It then sits there with a black screen for a while, then finally starts to buffer, and then finally starts to play. You can't (or at least I haven't been able to) move forward in the title to the point where you left off (assuming you can even remember where that point was).

But it's better than no Netflix. Still, I don't think any rational person here could argue that it doesn't matter that the PB doesn't have a Netflix app. It does, even if you don't or wouldn't use it or ignorantly believe it contains nothing but cheesy direct to video movies from the 80s. Its lack doesn't make the PB a bad device (or a "fail" in the words of people living in their mom's basement). But when you see things like billboards for LG or Samsung phones on Verizon, and the image on the billboard is of the phone with a Netflix screen, I can't believe that RIM wouldn't realize that a Netflix app is a top priority. I for one hope to be pleasantly surprised in the near future.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-02-12 06:45 AM
    i have done a little searching on google and read a bit on playon/hotspotshield, has anyone from canada tried and got it working?
    keith
    I used it without any problems. So did my sister. Not bothering to buy though, as I have tons of content to watch and refuse to pay more for a service I already pay for.
    02-02-12 08:32 AM
    For what its worth, for $5/month one could use a service like Unblock Us - unblock your favourite video and social websites and that will essentially give you a non-restrictive IP. So you can access all the free sites on PlayOn like Comedy Central and pay services like HULU, US Netflix.

Plus "I've been told" the service also allows you to access UK based sites like BBCi and US based music services like Pandora..

Enjoy!
    -GG
    02-02-12 10:15 AM
    Ok with the 6 new threads today complaining about no Netflix I think a lot of people missed this so let me give it a bump up.
    the 1 year activation now went up from $20 to $30.
    That's only $2.50 a month to have Netflix and Hulu+ working on your beloved playbook
    anywhere you go.
    02-24-12 08:45 PM
    If memory serves this is a U.S. service only....not available in Canada.... I think it is great there is a workaround... Just a word of caution however... When something is a workaround.... those being worked around start looking for ways to stop it.... Vicious cycle.....

It sort of like all those IP changing programs on the PC... eventually the address gets black listed and next thing you know it no longer works... Was a great workaround while it lasted.....
    02-24-12 08:51 PM
    So is remote access possible (through another place's wifi)?
    03-27-12 09:09 PM
    Yep as long as your home computer is on you can be in a different
    state and Netflix will work on your playbook.
    I used it in Wifi at Starbucks and McDonalds various times.
    03-27-12 10:12 PM
    How do you get it to work? I can't seem to figure it out.
    03-28-12 11:19 AM
    A work around that requires me to pay some third party app developer A SUBSCRIPTION,
    AND
    Leave my home PC burning 24/7.

Yeah, you can hold your breath while you wait for me to do that.
    Here's an idea... Why doesn't RIM pay Netflix to make an APP... And sell it in their store?
    Oh right... Because like a petulant child RIM is going to stop their feet and hold their breath until someone pays attention to them.

I had enough of these kludges and work arounds when I was in the Amiga cult.
    fbloise likes this.
    04-03-12 09:12 AM
    A work around that requires me to pay some third party app developer A SUBSCRIPTION,
    AND
    Leave my home PC burning 24/7.

Yeah, you can hold your breath while you wait for me to do that.
    Here's an idea... Why doesn't RIM pay Netflix to make an APP... And sell it in their store?
    Oh right... Because like a petulant child RIM is going to stop their feet and hold their breath until someone pays attention to them.

I had enough of these kludges and work arounds when I was in the Amiga cult.
    Ahhh yes. I have both good and sad memories of my Amiga days.
    Ratteler and fbloise like this.
    04-03-12 09:36 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD