Got a pre-paid visa and bought 50 bucks worth of apps for my PB. The only 2 that were decent were files & Folders and splashtop. The rest were a complete waste of money.

I need to learn the process of apk to bar conversion because I can't stand the lack of good apps in appworld.

Sorry to complain.
    01-27-12 01:42 PM
    What were the rest of the apps?
    01-27-12 01:44 PM
    Yeah, what did you buy? There are a huge number of good apps on App World. What are you trying to do?
    01-27-12 01:53 PM
    I'm interested in knowing what else you bought also
    01-27-12 01:59 PM
    Got a pre-paid visa and bought 50 bucks worth of apps for my PB. The only 2 that were decent were files & Folders and splashtop. The rest were a complete waste of money.

I need to learn the process of apk to bar conversion because I can't stand the lack of good apps in appworld.

Sorry to complain.
    Why are you casting aspersions on the entire community of PB app developers? I am sorry that you don't need or want my app but this is no reason for you to tell me it's crap. I know for a fact that many other consumers would disagree with your particular take on the state of apps in App World.

And why aren't all of your favourite free Android apps already in app world? You should talk to their developers if you want access to them. If you are talking about paid apps, you do realize that converting them to PB format yourself is not exactly legal, don't you?
    KermEd and CanadianThomas like this.
    01-27-12 02:00 PM
    lf you were not having any luck, why on earth did you keep spending right up to 50$?
    01-27-12 02:26 PM
    I've probably spent at least $50 in apps for my PB since Sept and most of them have been great, granted most of them were games.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-27-12 02:47 PM
    id have to echo many others' voices and ask what you were trying to do....

Good on your for helping the BB Dev cause, but in the same breath...
    01-27-12 03:00 PM
    I have over 50 apps in my "uninstalled" and have 10 installed. yeah, I've wasted a lot of money. Don't even wanna talk about my Torch 9850.....ouch! BUT, I can honestly say it is all due to my "instant gratification complex" and is not a reflection on developers. I'm learning to read reviews and google before I make a decision.....learning.
    peter9477 and FF22 like this.
    01-27-12 03:04 PM
    Well besides games, which I don't play, I was trying to do all kinds of things that people do with apps...

FTP to my computer:
    -Bought file browser, says it can ftp, it does but throws all kinds of weird characters in the folder/file name and doesn't work proper.
    -Bought liteFTP for 4 bucks, it can't. Download folders.

Music playlists:
    - Bought music skins for 4 bucks because it said you can make multiple playlists, something you can't do with the stock player.Turns out you can't make a playlists and then change the order of songs.

There were lots of others also that were pretty poor quality.

Anyhow I'm just relaying my experience. For those that believe that blackberry appworld is awesome and full of amazing apps , not trying to offend you by saying I think the appworld is lacking.

For those that see no lacking in the appworld good for you. It's just a difference of opinion.

For me, most of the apps I like the best were sideloading ones. Your experience may differ ...
    01-27-12 03:28 PM
    And by the way... I'm not blaming anyone but myself for buying these apps, I wasn't tricked or fooled into it. Like the above poster said it's just for instant gratification, I wanted to buy some apps for the first time with a credit-card.

A couple were decent... The rest were not very good, in my opiniated opinion.

Can anyone list some amazing, must have apps from appworld besides files and folders or splashtop?

I try and search appworld pretty good every few days to see what's all there.
    01-27-12 03:42 PM
    Did you try Ghost Commander, a free Android-based file manager available in App World? Handles FTP, including folders, flawlessly (although your mileage may vary).

This was reviewed recently in the forum as were most of the other "flawed" apps that you purchased. Thanks for your reviews, by the way - much more useful to the community than making a blanket statement. We would appreciate intelligent reviews of the unnamed apps that were of "pretty poor quality."
    01-27-12 03:49 PM
    Ghost commander came out after I got the others, but yah that's the kind of app I would consider a real good one... More like that would be fantastic.
    01-27-12 03:53 PM
    Simplebrowser and securebrowser are both great alternatives to the stock browsers. both are well worth the price of the apps. E-Mmanuel is the best bible reader I have seen and over the years for PB or other platforms. Comwave ePhone is great as alternative to not having Skype. I would suggest you spend time reading here on the forums when you have questions about apps, especially if the app is more than a dollar or two.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-27-12 04:15 PM
    Not sure if you're into games but, Lexitron, SnowBomber, Yahtzer and Shuffleboard are a few fun, not so well know, games.
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    01-27-12 04:40 PM
    That's why you must use your money wisely. Last week I received my $20 rebate card which I was originally going to spend on BB Apps or a case, but I wasted it on something else. Now I regret it very much. I'm not going to buy any apps until 2.0 comes out. Applications are the same as other things, think before you buy. It's easy to use $50 on apps (that you may not even like) but working to get that much is annoying and tiresome depending on what you do for work
    01-27-12 06:01 PM
    First I wanted a music player that could have multiple playlists and move songs around within the playlists (for DJ'ing as well as home listening). The stock music player is pretty good, but is limited so I bought music skins for 2 or 3.99, because it said it had multi-playlists. Turns out you cannot move songs around in playlists , only create a new playlists.

Then I sideloaded the android app Winamp and it did all of the above with bells and whistles.

Next I wanted to ftp into my pc so I could transfer files remotely and especially move folders of ebooks, split into authors sections onto my PB when I'm out and about.

First I bought file browser, which said it did ftp transfers. I install it and ftp into my pc, only problem being is the folder and file names are all cut off or gibberish , some kind of bug.... Oh well so I only spent a buck.

Then I move on to liteFTP, which looks decent. I pay 3.99 for that and when I run it, I like it, but it doesn't let me download folders, only individual files. Not so great for lots of ebook transfers...

Meanwhile I sideloaded an android app named AndFTP and low and behold it transfers whole folders perfectly. Works great.

Then came ebook readers. I bought and tried at least 3 of them, that I didn't like very much for my needs.I'll keep them because some read formats that others don't such as .mobi etc, but without a doubt the best ereaders for my needs is Sideloaded Gobooks reader.

So in each of those cases, appworld let me down, or couldn't offer what I needed, but sideloaded android apps were exactly what I wanted/needed. I'm patient though and my expectations are low, just frustrated because I know lots and lots of ported android apps work, and many of them won't be coming to appworld any time soon.

I'll keep shopping in berryworld app store, I'm not trying to be overly critical, just relaying my experience. Everyone has different needs & wants for their PB, this is just how it's been going for me.
    Last edited by aloon69; 01-27-12 at 06:34 PM.
    01-27-12 06:25 PM
    I am confused. Are you playing some sort of lotto and buying apps, hoping you come accorss something that you might find a use for?
    01-27-12 07:02 PM
    No, I was trying to do basic things like have an audio player that could make playlists and move tunes around the playlists and ftp into my computer and move whole folders. Of course I read the reviews and looked around.In many cases it didn't say oneway or the other whether it did the function wanted.

I already stated that it's my fault, newbie exuberance...
    01-27-12 07:57 PM
    And by the way... I'm not blaming anyone but myself for buying these apps, I wasn't tricked or fooled into it. Like the above poster said it's just for instant gratification, I wanted to buy some apps for the first time with a credit-card.

A couple were decent... The rest were not very good, in my opiniated opinion.

Can anyone list some amazing, must have apps from appworld besides files and folders or splashtop?

I try and search appworld pretty good every few days to see what's all there.
    Good that you explained it.
    01-27-12 09:02 PM
    Why did you buy games if you knew you were not going to play is beyond me...

GeeReader (free and pro available) is a great Google Reader app.

ProInsights is an infographic app for LinkedIn, if will create an IG for your account and allow you to get some info on your connections, still, there is very few you can do but that. It's great for showing off thou.

Tip: Stay away from anything "launcher".
    01-27-12 09:29 PM
    Didn't buy any games... Don't play games on the PB.

Just talking about apps and buying crappy ones in your excitement and impatience for 2.0 update.
    01-27-12 11:36 PM
    No, I was trying to do basic things like have an audio player that could make playlists and move tunes around the playlists and ftp into my computer and move whole folders. Of course I read the reviews and looked around.In many cases it didn't say oneway or the other whether it did the function wanted.

I already stated that it's my fault, newbie exuberance...
    Although your going to get a lot of resistance (your first message in hid thread comes across bad) I think we can benefit from the experience. To expand upon your experiences, I think the problem is you were looking for things that aren't the most reliable on the PB - in a large part do to the SDK limits that have been about.

Now I have to say, if an app doesn't do as advertised - ask the developer about it . Maybe somethings changed - you are using the developer build os2. Stuff will bug for you because it's not a released os.

But don't be afraid to ask for refunds. As the development for Secure Browser, lots of people buy my app and find it doesn't meet their needs. I'm happy to help them refund through [email protected]. No developer (that is passionate about their apps) wants a person to feel ripped off

But I think you picked some bad apps. Winamp (I'm the one who originally signed it for everyone) has some major stability problems on the PB. Now don't get me wrong, Android has 50 times the apps - so odds are good you can find one. But that's what os2 will be for .

I recommend, and purely from an objective perspective here, but build some of the apps you think are missing. And you can make some more money back while improving the community. I can even help you get started.

Ed
    Last edited by KermEd; 01-27-12 at 11:39 PM.
    01-27-12 11:37 PM
    Thank you for posting that. I appreciate the words.

I've only had my PB for a month, and got it super discounted 64gig style , sometimes I picture being someone who bought a PB for over $500 back in april and had to wait several months for 2.0 update.

Thanks for Winamp-signing by the way.... One of my favorite apps !

My expectations were low, and I really wanted an ebook reader on steroids, fortunately PB is just that at a good deal... That is getting it for 2.99 not 600 or higher as it was intended.,

It's a fantastic unit for traveling and even around work & home. Sorry if I came across as whiney, i do love my playbook.
    Last edited by aloon69; 01-28-12 at 02:11 AM.
    01-28-12 02:01 AM
    Why are you casting aspersions on the entire community of PB app developers? I am sorry that you don't need or want my app but this is no reason for you to tell me it's crap. I know for a fact that many other consumers would disagree with your particular take on the state of apps in App World.

And why aren't all of your favourite free Android apps already in app world? You should talk to their developers if you want access to them. If you are talking about paid apps, you do realize that converting them to PB format yourself is not exactly legal, don't you?
    I just bought What's Up and can't wait to use it now that you have the magnetometer working!
    01-28-12 02:31 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD