Yeah, I think the problem is that the Dev listed both versions in one listing then. I mean, one would think it shouldn't matter, but if App World is seeing both the BB and PB versions as one app, I could see why it wouldn't allow you to purchase both the PB and BB version. It looks like a bug that RIM is going to have sort out with it's transition to BB10. I would recommend asking the Dev to split the two versions with each having it's own listing in App World.
    05-14-12 02:30 PM
    Seems it may be the OP issue.... I too bought a Playbook when it first came out and have been using the same ID between the two devices.... gotta love technology.....
    05-14-12 02:39 PM
    His answer would make sense if it were two bbos phones but considering it's a phone and the Qnx playbook I don't see why anyone should need a different bbid.

Could be RIM's policy to tell us to use two bbid because it's better for business that way.

Another thing...If I go to appworld on my pc and sign in, it gives me an option to select my playbook or my phone. Both under the same bbid. Why would they build this feature into the website if one bbid could be used for only one device??
    I agree. I think it is intended to work this way, regardless of what support told the OP. Same thinking for me as in the quote above. Why would you be given the option to choose from two different devices under the same BB ID if not intended. I prefer it this way.

On my 9930, when I go to AppWorld Myworld, open Uninstalled, every app I have loaded to my PB is there with a subtext "not available for this device" . I prefer it this way, having a listing of all apps, free or purchased, for both devices in one location. I see no problem with separate IDs for each device, but I prefer to have mine under one.
    05-14-12 03:23 PM
    If this is true, then RIM seriously needs to move away from using email as id and rather let you as 1 person have 1 email registered by RIM, but can have different user names (ids) for different devices. Is this something we can ask the CB gurus to investigate and maybe post a blog about it? I do not have the problem 'express man' is talking about, but this put some doubt in my mind.
    05-14-12 03:25 PM
    Me too, same ID for 9800 and PB. Some issues initially with apps from one showing on the other, but resolved now.

When in the Web Page, I see the option to switch from my PB to my BB phone. You still need to use a different ID if you have more than 1 BB phone.

Edit: I have a 9000 too on a different ID
    05-14-12 03:26 PM
    Who told you, you needed an idea for each device??? I've used the only one i.d. For both my torch and playbook. Something seems odd. Are you getting any errors??
    05-14-12 03:31 PM
    Who told you, you needed an idea for each device??? I've used the only one i.d. For both my torch and playbook. Something seems odd. Are you getting any errors??
    didn't you read his posts? He said the RIM customer support.
    05-14-12 03:37 PM
    I use one ID for my phone and 2 PlayBooks and i don't have a problem with that. The PIN is the distinguishing factor and not your ID.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    i have one BBID for my smartphone and PlayBooks with no issues. Besides app world asking you to verify your pin before each purchase, there haven't been any issues for me.
    everything ive downloaded availible for both work fine, but i can see that its possible that a developer may lock an app down for a single device. I dont think its going to be a wide spread issue, but if it does occur to me ill just apply for a refund.

I tend to use the mobile and Playbook for different purposes though, so chances of me hitting this issue are slim indeed.
    05-14-12 03:39 PM
    I bought if for my 9900. now when I go to app world on my playbook and find Carcassonne, its there but the purchase button is not.
    Its all silly to me. I only have one playbook (my wife has one but she has her own ID)

Like I said this is the first time I have had a problem with it.

Is there a way to download it and then side load? I may have to search this topic I know. A lot of work though when it shouldn't be.
    That's how the app developer intends it to be. When posting apps to app world, the dev has an option to indicate how the purchase license works.
    05-14-12 03:42 PM
    I've used the same bbid for years with different devices..dud must just have bad luck..
    05-14-12 04:10 PM
    LOL, predictive text strikes again
    05-14-12 04:18 PM
    It was something that is pretty much isolated to a few users.
    05-14-12 04:28 PM
    Well, called again and you are NOT supposed to use the same ID.
    He said you are supposed to have a different email addy for every device you buy from RIM.
    His words, not mine (and this is the 2nd guy from RIM support to say this today)
    If you are faithfully relaying to us the true meaning of what these RIM support techs are saying to you, then I'm afraid that you have been unfortunate enough as to speak to two complete morons. The assertion that you must use a different BBID with each distinct device is flatly incorrect. Repeat: THESE MORONS AT RIM SUPPORT ARE WRONG. As others have pointed out in this thread, App World even has an option available to filter the app list to show only those apps installed on the current device, so that those with multiple devices sharing the same BBID don't have to slog through their phone's apps when managing the apps on their PlayBook, and vice versa. If you call back, you might want to ask them why this feature is there, if you're not supposed to do it that way?

The problem you're having seems to be an issue with the specific app. You should contact support for that app. It may be that they simply tell you that they don't license the app cross platform, and you will have to choose one either your phone or your tablet on which to install this app.
    05-14-12 04:36 PM
    I too have always had one BBID for my pb and bb. Can't imagine why you're getting this ridiculous response from a RIM tech.
    05-14-12 04:40 PM
    If you are faithfully relaying to us the true meaning of what these RIM support techs are saying to you, then I'm afraid that you have been unfortunate enough as to speak to two complete morons. The assertion that you must use a different BBID with each distinct device is flatly incorrect. Repeat: THESE MORONS AT RIM SUPPORT ARE WRONG. As others have pointed out in this thread, App World even has an option available to filter the app list to show only those apps installed on the current device, so that those with multiple devices sharing the same BBID don't have to slog through their phone's apps when managing the apps on their PlayBook, and vice versa. If you call back, you might want to ask them why this feature is there, if you're not supposed to do it that way?

The problem you're having seems to be an issue with the specific app. You should contact support for that app. It may be that they simply tell you that they don't license the app cross platform, and you will have to choose one either your phone or your tablet on which to install this app.
    Thats what I thought all along. I assumed the first one was a moron, but when the second guy said the same, well.....

support from the app creator said it was a known app world bug and to contact Rim support. and thats what I did. Oh well.

Thanks for all the responses. I was pretty sure you were supposed to use the same ID for all.
    05-14-12 05:50 PM
    Nah. Not true. I use one for both. No issues.

It makes thing a little messy if you view your "uninstalled" apps on the phone it also shows the ones for the playbook. That is really just cosmetic though.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-14-12 06:00 PM
    I have been using one ID for the past 4 years and eventhough I have not used 2 BB phones at the same time I have used 1 ID. Also when I purchased my PB still I have been using the same I'D but I have found compatibility problems with apps between the devices. I had a couple apps purchased on my 9650 that won't work on the 9930. I have maybe a dumb question unless I missed something but if we are required to use 2 different Id's how would an app such as bridge know which user to connect to? As mentioned earlier when logging into myworld on the phone you can see the PB apps but not available so they must be unique somehow. Would not having different accounts completely separate the devices?
    05-14-12 06:03 PM
    Just curious, have you checked the uninstalled apps on the PB?
    chrispipe likes this.
    05-14-12 06:07 PM
    I just went into myworld on the phone and there is a tab for other devices which shows the apps on my PB so I would think in order for this to happen they need to have the same account.
    05-14-12 06:11 PM
    Yep...have used the same BBID with several past BB phones.....still use the same one on my Torch & 2 PlayBooks......
    05-14-12 06:37 PM
    If the purchase button is not showing up it's because you already purchased it. Like one of the other posters pointed out, you filter "uninstalled" apps it should appear there with the option to reinstall. When I bought my 9790 recently, I didn't create a new BBID and all my old apps (including playbook apps) were showing up as "uninstalled", so i just had to reinstall them without paying again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-14-12 06:48 PM
    One ID for my 9810 and my PB here.
    05-14-12 07:04 PM
    I never had this issue. All apps etc work just dandy on whatever. Suggest you contact RIM to sort out the problem
    05-15-12 03:58 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD