So I got an upgrade notification for Need For Speed app about 291 mb. I got the 16 gb at launch so don't have a lot of storage. I had 1.8 gb of memory left and after.the update now I have1.5 left.
    I have used other devices where updates are incremental, or it purges and replaces the initial app. The os or maybe its the apps on the playbook seems to be a add on. So everytime I got on update for NFS it kept on adding to the existing versions and Inprobably have wasted 1gb on one game.
    i don't know why the hd space occupied by the old versions of the game are and deleting the game doesn't free up space....
    So much for the QA process for apps on appworld which ignores this and is fu*****g over the whatever space I had on the pb for updates that doesn't do crap.

Therefore make sure you really need the apps before you hit that update button.
    01-23-12 10:34 PM
    Why don't you add this to a review for that game in App World. That's the only way you will get some feedback about the large updates from the developer.
    Toodeurep and rotorwrench like this.
    01-23-12 10:38 PM
    You may have done this already, just in case, restarting may fix this.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-23-12 10:38 PM
    I didn't get a notification for such update. Is a new version out for NFS?
    01-23-12 10:40 PM
    Never mind. Got it now.
    01-23-12 10:41 PM
    mines updating right now.
    01-23-12 10:42 PM
    So I updated mine and after it was done, there was indeed about 300MB missing, but a reboot put it back to 10.7GB free like before. So just reboot it and you,re back where you were before.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-23-12 11:02 PM
    I always wait till I have two or three updates to do, do the updates and do a reset. My memory stays pretty consistant to pre-update capacity.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-23-12 11:17 PM
    I did this;
    -Restarted the PB, 6.7Gb free
    -Installed NFS update 2.1, 6.4GB free
    -Restarted the PB, 6.7GB free

As mentioned, there should be no issue at all. Just restart and it will take care of the memory allocated during the install.
    01-23-12 11:47 PM
    How do you find the amount of memory left?
    01-24-12 12:27 AM
    Try not to be so quick to throw blame around the next time you perceive a problem. Simply start by coming here and asking a simple question. It's better than acting like a 8 year old with a melting icecream cone and you'll get better results. I have never seen an issue that has not been figured out and resolved around here.
    Lhendr, d18, Spencerdl and 7 others like this.
    01-24-12 04:58 AM
    Settings>About>select hardware from drop down list on the right side
    artie likes this.
    01-24-12 05:08 AM
    What's weird in my case is, the OP mentioned an update notification for NFS. I didn't get one until I opened App World.
    01-24-12 06:34 AM
    Like many people said, you have to restart it. Thats what I did and that memory came back. Although the OS doesnt specifically tell you, which i think it should, some apps do require a restart after installation or even deletion sometimes, as is common with virtually all pc's on this earth.
    01-24-12 02:47 PM
    I've got an error when trying to install the update (usually around 94%). Tried restarting it but have had no success.
    01-24-12 02:55 PM
    any error messages? Does it fail to update during the download process or the install process?
    01-24-12 03:31 PM
    A developer on here, sorry forgot his name, said that playbook doesn't release the deleted items until 10 or 15 minutes go by or you reboot.
    01-24-12 03:35 PM
    I always do the uninstall first and then the reinstall to update an app. In the past, some updates install the new versions and left the old versions untouched and you end up with 2 icons on your desktop.
    01-24-12 03:44 PM
    When you delete an app and re-install (say NFS) do you lose your game data? This is what I usually do, but I was reluctant to do it with NFS as I did not want to lose my game data and my progress.
    01-24-12 04:06 PM
    Yes, restarted fixed this for me as well.
    01-24-12 04:09 PM
    I always do the uninstall first and then the reinstall to update an app. In the past, some updates install the new versions and left the old versions untouched and you end up with 2 icons on your desktop.
    I contemplated doing this but, like apengue, I wasn't sure what would happen to my save data. I did, however, finally get it to work.

Each time I tried installing I received an Install error [0008] late during the installation process. What I think was my problem was that I didn't have enough storage space. I thought I had enough (671mb, update is 291) but apparently it needs a little more wiggle room.

I noticed after deleting a movie -thus giving me 2.9gb free- the free space dipped as low as 2.2gb during installation (this difference is greater than my total free space during my initial install attempts).

I also kept the screen active on the myworld screen throughout the whole process, but I think the storage space was the issue.
    01-24-12 04:29 PM
    Like many people said, you have to restart it. Thats what I did and that memory came back. Although the OS doesnt specifically tell you, which i think it should, some apps do require a restart after installation or even deletion sometimes, as is common with virtually all pc's on this earth.
    I don't believe that's actually the case. Unlike virtually all PC's on this earth, the PlayBook is running a particular sophisticated and well-designed operating system, and it has near perfect insulation of the OS itself from all mysterious side effects of installing and uninstalling apps.

Can you give any examples where you believe you must restart after installation before using the app, or after either installation or deletion for the OS to work properly?

When you delete an app and re-install (say NFS) do you lose your game data? This is what I usually do, but I was reluctant to do it with NFS as I did not want to lose my game data and my progress.
    Yes, you will lose all saved data in most apps when you uninstall. Only those which save to the shared folders, and few games do (nor are they supposed to), or those which save your data "in the cloud" (i.e. on a remote server) will preserve the data across an uninstall/reinstall.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-24-12 04:31 PM
    Well in the case of NFS, a restart rids the 'old' version. Its not like this with all apps, and I assume knowing that I do not know 100% what happens behind the curtains of QNX, I generally use this method when I feel I need to, which is sometimes, as is the case for NFS. Thanks for answering my question

rmah - I'm glad it is what it was, just insufficient space
    01-24-12 05:02 PM
    quick question on the update. Does the update erase your profile or does it maintain your race progress and history?
    01-24-12 05:51 PM
    Well in the case of NFS, a restart rids the 'old' version. Its not like this with all apps, and I assume knowing that I do not know 100% what happens behind the curtains of QNX, I generally use this method when I feel I need to, which is sometimes, as is the case for NFS.
    Okay, well if that's all you're talking about, it's basically universal to all apps. As kbz1960 pointed out (quoting me, I suspect), when you uninstall an app the space is not immediately reclaimed but appears to be in use, briefly, until either you restart or some periodic housekeeping is done a few minutes later. I believe it's just more obvious with NFS because of the size. (I observed this while experimenting with installing and removing the Recipe Box app while investigating the backup timeout issue, where after an uninstall an immediate backup attempt failed, but it would work if I waited 10-15 minutes first.)

Chances are good that this is no different than how when an app exits from memory, the free memory doesn't necessarily return instantly to the amount it had prior to you running the app. Between caching, temporary files, and other such things in a complex OS, you often can't count on 100% determinism, at least not over a short time span. I think it's safe to say, however, that even if the display of "space free" hasn't gone back up immediately, that space is actually available when needed.

So I'm pretty confident in saying that, although a restart may alter the timing of this sort of cleanup, it is not necessary, ever, to restart after installing or uninstalling an app on the PlayBook.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-24-12 06:32 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD