I loved BOX.net
    I love the playbook app. I love the touch friendly web interface - I love that I got 50g free because I use the Playbook app. I recommend it to anyone I have a chance to recommend it to even on here. I was so happy being able to easily view all my docs from anywhere...

I uploaded my life, my business docs, everything. Thought I had a great backup plan.

Now when it was time to do some downloading (not often the case) I discovered it does not maintain the timestamp when the file was last modified! PLUS if you want to download more than one file at a time - its time to pay up! You cant download a folder.

Instead it replaces it with the date and time it was transferred to BOX.net?

wtf is this ??? and no warning. If you relied on this as a backup your files will be a mess!

Then they respond with THIS to ticked of users who discovered this gem:

"Thanks for your question Paul. Right now, maintaining file timestamps (for Web upload or sync) has not been an highly requested feature. As with any customer requests, we will consider this feature if there's enough user demand for it. "

With no further reply as more and more ticked off users accumulate..
    Worse then RIM!
    See
    Does Box.net support timestamps?

They are acting like there is no demand to fix this problem???
    This canNOT be used as a business tool like this - with multiple collaborators.

Any recommendations for an alternate playbook friendly solution?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-24-11 at 03:45 PM.
    lotuslanderz and KQ17 like this.
    11-24-11 02:38 PM
    Dropbox, way better then Box.net. Or you know, you could just get your domain and web hosting, download FTP Lite and never have to rely on those services again.
    11-24-11 02:58 PM
    Dropbox, way better then Box.net. Or you know, you could just get your domain and web hosting, download FTP Lite and never have to rely on those services again.
    Thanks I will have a look at Dropbox. Is there an app for playbook? Free storage space? What are the limitations for free?

True about FTP, but BOX.net was good for collaborating with others because of the nice interface and sharing files and directories selectively. I will look at FTP Lite, but then I need a server that is safe (off site) and that I will have to maintain and backup... was hoping to avoid all of that with some kind of box..
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-24-11 at 03:18 PM.
    11-24-11 03:16 PM
    Thanks I will have a look at Dropbox. Is there an app for playbook? Free storage space? What are the limitations for free?

True about FTP, but BOX.net was good for collaborating with others because of the nice interface and sharing files and directories selectively. I will look at FTP Lite, but then I need a server that is safe (off site) and that I will have to maintain and backup... was hoping to avoid all of that with some kind of box..
    dropbox is good, the app for use on the PB is bluebox.
    as for enabling access to individual directories, thats possible too. this can of course be done through normal webhosting too with a password which you`d have to use a .htaccess file to setup (its actually very easy). but yea dropbox is better if thats the kinda thing your after
    11-24-11 03:27 PM
    If maintaining timestamps isn't crucial, give Files & Folders a try. It supports both Box.net and Dropbox in addition to your PlayBook files, Google Docs and zip files. It will also allow you to copy and paste multiple files & folders from anywhere to anywhere.
    11-24-11 03:41 PM
    If maintaining timestamps isn't crucial, give Files & Folders a try. It supports both Box.net and Dropbox in addition to your PlayBook files, Google Docs and zip files. It will also allow you to copy and paste multiple files & folders from anywhere to anywhere.
    Thanks for the shameless plug but clearly maintaining time stamps is crucial or I would not have started the thread. Are you saying this is a problem with dropbox also, or with your app or both?
    11-24-11 03:47 PM
    dropbox is good, the app for use on the PB is bluebox.
    as for enabling access to individual directories, thats possible too. this can of course be done through normal webhosting too with a password which you`d have to use a .htaccess file to setup (its actually very easy). but yea dropbox is better if thats the kinda thing your after
    Great! Thanks I would not have known to look for bluebox. Why didn't they just call it dropbox lol
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-24-11 at 03:52 PM.
    11-24-11 03:48 PM
    Great! Thanks I would not have known to look for bluebox. Why didn't they just call it dropbox lol
    Because it's not made by Dropbox.
    11-24-11 04:05 PM
    No official PlayBook app, but you can use Bluebox (I havent used Bluebox so cant comment on it). You get 2Gigs for free, but also the opportunity to get others to sign up using your referrals. That gives you and them an extra 250Mb. You can pay for extra space. I actually love Dropbox. My most important files are synced on all my devices (desktop, laptops and iPhone). My tablets have access to these files via the web interface for Dropbox.

For Box, I just use it as an ftp server for sharing documents (photos, documents). My collaborators add their initials after they update and version numbers too. This helps keep track of things. I do not use Box as a back up system.
    11-24-11 04:17 PM
    Because it's not made by Dropbox.
    Ahh kinda makes sense then Why would it be free? I don't understand what these devs get by giving their apps away.

OK scary news - I signed up for dropbox, uploaded a file from my PC as a test. While my dropbox folder on the PC shows the correct mod date - I looked at it with bluebox and it shows today's date - went to the dropbox folder onthe playbook and it shows todays date as well whats going on? et tu dropbox/bluebox?

Is this just a bluebox thing?

What about files and folders Innovatology?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-24-11 at 05:07 PM.
    11-24-11 04:58 PM
    No official PlayBook app, but you can use Bluebox (I havent used Bluebox so cant comment on it). You get 2Gigs for free, but also the opportunity to get others to sign up using your referrals. That gives you and them an extra 250Mb. You can pay for extra space. I actually love Dropbox. My most important files are synced on all my devices (desktop, laptops and iPhone). My tablets have access to these files via the web interface for Dropbox.

For Box, I just use it as an ftp server for sharing documents (photos, documents). My collaborators add their initials after they update and version numbers too. This helps keep track of things. I do not use Box as a back up system.
    can I refer you?

so you always use the web interface onn the playbook and not an app?

I like the BOX.net app because when you download a document it automatically opens the doc in docs to go. Plus more touch friendly than the web.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-24-11 at 05:03 PM.
    11-24-11 04:59 PM
    Yep confirmed, dropbox changes the timestamp also, when you download to the playbook it's not bluebox doing it. Can someone confirm before I change the warning to dropbox also?
    11-24-11 05:05 PM
    I challenge anyone to take a file round trip from PC to cloud to playbook and back without getting the stamp modified - If so tell me how and you will get several likes. Email is cheating. FTP is cheating. Must be via collaborating service.
    11-24-11 06:18 PM
    why dont you zip the file? it is an extra step but i mean it will keep your timestamps intact pretty sure

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-11 07:05 PM
    Thanks for the shameless plug
    Just trying to offer a possible solution to your problem downloading more than one file at once...

Are you saying this is a problem with dropbox also, or with your app or both?
    Both.

For uploading, Box.net and Dropbox ignore timestamp info we send them. Have not yet checked Google Docs. Correction: in the Box.net and Dropbox API's there is no way to set the timestamp, either on an extisting file or while uploading.

For downloading, there is no way for us to set the timestamp on a PlayBook file when we create it.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 11-24-11 at 07:42 PM.
    11-24-11 07:26 PM
    why dont you zip the file? it is an extra step but i mean it will keep your timestamps intact pretty sure

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I suggested in his other thread on the main forum. I don't know if he replied but I think me might collaborate and so that would require others to do that step, also. Still it might be better than nothing or the wrong time stamp.
    11-25-11 12:08 AM
    Another great free one is SugarSync, I use this on BB,PB & PC

https://www.sugarsync.com/
    11-25-11 04:19 AM
    how about share point portal as backend collaboration service? MS offers cloud base share point with office 365, share point keeps track of time stamps, check-out, check-in, version udpates etc, for PB a browser will do everything for you better than an app, also there is a BB client too,
    11-25-11 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD