View Poll Results: Would you rather wait for BBX or put Android on your Playbook?

74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have faith in RIM. I'll wait it out.

38 51.35%
  • I want a usable tablet now, give me Android. If RIM ever comes through, then I'll put BBX back on.

12 16.22%
  • I want both, but keep them separate. Let me dual-boot.

9 12.16%
  • Upgrade the Android Player & let me install Android Apps natively.

14 18.92%
  • What's this Kindle Fire? It looks like my Playbook. Can I put that on this?

1 1.35%
    Given the choice, would you rather wait for an unknown amount of time for RIM to release BBX or put a fully baked version of Android on the Playbook?
    10-23-11 08:32 PM
    How about, "If I cared about Android, I would have bought a Lenovo". I'd much rather RIM focuses their efforts on getting a few key apps on PlayBook such as Skype, NetFlix, Kindle and Silverlight support. Android might have more quantity but I want no part of it.
    10-23-11 09:13 PM
    Given the fact that Honeycomb tablet is also a complete sales disaster --- it doesn't matter.
    10-23-11 09:19 PM
    tight poll. I think repackaging full android to pb via ndk as a bar is the easier way. We could create a new runtime system as well that allows for internal app downloads inside the app via app storage. Thus bypassing a need for appalled. Thinking something like preware. But hard to get any real good access at the pbs power.
    10-24-11 12:45 AM
    This is a pretty stupid poll i think.

If I wanted an Android tablet, i would of bought one... Pretty simple.. We all made a choice to by a blackberry tablet (bridge, bes, email (waiting....)) vs buying the ipad or playbook. Personally i already have an ipad 1 and i never use it.

Not to sound like an ***, but if someone rather have android on their tablet, there are alot of other tablets that you can buy that will give you a great experience with apps etc.. Sell your playbook on or Craiglist in the states or fleabay.

You don't have to keep the playbook.. Infact i know a few people that are looking to buy used/cheap ones!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    10-24-11 10:10 AM
    I dont want an Android tablet, I bought a PB, I do however want native email etc, I do not bridge, I do not have a BB phone, those who say it doesnt need native email are talking mince in my humble opinion
    The Android email/contacts/calendar integrates perfectly with work, its what I want, its what I need, so when BBX or OS2.x comes out with the above I'll happily bin android
    Yes I know it wasn't advertised with email and I've got by with webmail, which isnt a patch on the android job IMHO, but 6 months on I was hoping, I guess like many that email would be here

50% of my 'expensive' games now dont work but I'm happy to put up with that to get mail, I'm sure they'll start working again one day soon
    10-24-11 01:45 PM
    I don't know if I agree with people saying its a stupid poll, if you've been reading posts on crackberry several people have said they want to try to port android to the playbook. Now personally I like the QNX os and the ability to have android apps running is phenominal. I think it can only get better from here. Stupid poll no, did people have the option to buy the lenovo yes but if people didn't port and figure out loopholes we would be stuck with whatever corporate gave us and probably be restricted even more.
    technomensch and KermEd like this.
    10-24-11 01:52 PM
    Stupid poll? Of course not, saying that if you want Android apps, get an Android tablet, now that's stupid. If I can have 1 tablet that will run QNX and Android apps, why not?
    technomensch, Erandhawa and KermEd like this.
    10-24-11 02:40 PM
    Well, when I bought the PB, I was not even thinking of the possibility of an Android app working on it. I did keep an older version cause I was using the APlayer, I have since upgraded to the current version. I was using it basically for e-mail, but I can live without Android apps IF they can fix the PlayBook. I would like to see a native e-mail client at some point in the near future. Sooner the better, maybe before 2012? Who knows. So I guess I can wait for RIM to fix whatever they need to. Not interested in having my PB dual boot with any other OS. If I can also use a few apps from Android that I simply cannot get from app world, then I'll take it as a bonus.
    10-24-11 05:05 PM
    Stupid poll? Of course not, saying that if you want Android apps, get an Android tablet, now that's stupid. If I can have 1 tablet that will run QNX and Android apps, why not?
    I agree... If I can get both in one tablet why not get both? Like the post on the front page of the website said: the android player solves the short term need for apps. However, in the long run, RIM needs to seriously do something to address the shortage of BlackBerry developer interest.
    10-24-11 05:33 PM
    I'm not sure how to answer the poll. I'd like to wait and see what's coming soon, I think. But I'd also like to see it done so if RIM doesn't come thru I'd have an option even though I bought the playbook because of QNX and of course bridge. If I wanted android I would've bought an android.
    10-24-11 05:38 PM
    There's too many Android tablets already. You need to go in a way that would make this tablet unique:

technomensch likes this.
    10-24-11 05:45 PM
    I'm curious how many of those "30" who've said they have faith in RIM would change their votes now that OS2 has been pushed back till Feb.

I was one of those who likes the Playbook hardware, but disappointed with the OS. I'd be satisfied w/ a fully functional, latest version of the Android Player with OTA installation w/o BAR files.

BUT NOW, there is a small part of me that wants to rip the guts out of the OS and just completely replace it with Android.

By Feb, Apple will be releasing iPad 3 the next month (March), all the manufacturers will be debuting second, or even third, generation hardware at CES the month before.

I've been a strong advocate and 'superfan' of RIM for the last 3-4 years, but part of me feels like this was the last nail in the coffin; at least for me.

MAYBE, if RIM had shown off a BBX phone at DevCon, with a release date, I'd feel differently.

OS2 at DevCon was RIM's CES Pre moment, and I'm one of the last people who'd be willing to admit it.
    10-25-11 06:15 PM
    If someone manages to port Android to the Playbook you can count me in 100%
    10-25-11 06:32 PM
    I think I'd take some android if I could put it back to QNX if wanted.
    10-25-11 07:25 PM
    lmao. yeah, either way NOT gonna happen

Posted from my CrackBerry at
    10-26-11 01:51 AM
    Isn't this really a moot point? Technically I don't think theres anyway we could install Android, it might have the same hardware as the Fire but I believe the bootloader etc on the Playbook is super locked down.
    10-26-11 02:57 AM