I am looking for a VNC Server to run on my Playbook. My idea is to use the HDMI cable to attach to my TV. I don't want a big long hdmi cable running between the sofa and my TV. So I would like to leave the playbook beside my TV (attached with the hdmi cable.) Then use my laptop's VNC client for controlling the Playbook.

Anyone know if there's a VNC Server that works on the Playbook ?
    12-09-11 11:23 PM
    I have the same question - did you come across a solution?
    I haven't found one. Seem to be no shortage of vnc viewers
    for the playbook, but I haven't been able to find a vnc server.
    02-26-12 02:28 AM
    isn't that what theblackberry bridge can do for you if you have a bb phone?!
    02-26-12 04:10 AM
    Yes, it looks like blackberry bridge would work fine - if I had a
    blackberry phone...

I have a playbook and an android phone.
    The playbook looks like it would make a great media server,
    just need a remote for it so it can sit under the HDTV.
    A bridge app for android, a vnc server or RDP support for the
    playbook would work fine.

I am thinking when there are a bunch of people over everyone
    is going to want to be able to control the media server
    from their phone.

Seems like all the RDP apps think of the playbook as the viewer,
    not the server...
    02-29-12 12:43 PM
    The problem is that the Playbook (and most other tablets) take a "walled-garden" approach to app/os design.

What does this mean? If I had an app that was running a VNC server (assuming no root) on the playbook, it would only be able to live within the constraints of that app.

Unless you made a VNC Server/Video Player app (that is all in one) that the TV could display over HDMI, I suspect that you will have issues making this work.
    02-29-12 01:09 PM
    You can use any bluetooth mouse and keyboard with the playbook (it doesn't have to be a blackberry). There was an app in app world that let you access your pb from your computer(an rdp or vnc-like server), I can't seem to find it or remember the name.. But wouldn't it make more sense to use your pb to control the computer and have the computer act as the media server? Even if the media is stored on the pb its still a simple task.

For example
    Movie/music is stored on the playbook
    Turn on wifi sharing on the playbook
    Connect to the share from your computer
    Hook computer up to tv
    Use rdp/vnc or an app like compremotelite to control the server/pc, either from your phone or the playbook, or even a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.. I'd prefer phone or playbook tho..

There's no apps let your android device act as a HID bluetooth profile?(Bluetooth mouse&keyboard)

Personally I'd rather control my server from the smaller device and I'd prefer my server to have the larger storage, ie server=pc+control=playbook/phone/keyboard&mouse or server=playbook+control=phone/keyboard/mouse
    02-29-12 01:28 PM
    Although a laptop is a good option to have as a media server, I would prefer to have the PB act as my media server. It's smaller and is almost invisible under my TV. Also a lot easier to take to your friends house to watch movies on a big screen instead of lugging around a big laptop.
    zethaaron likes this.
    03-16-12 12:41 AM
    Plus (and I don't have an HD TV, so I'm going from the video demos here), HOW GOOD DOES PLAYBOOK OS LOOK ON A BIG SCREEN!? Looks freaking awesome from what I've seen, I'd almost wanna use it just because of how gorgeous the interface looks on an HD TV. :P
    03-16-12 01:27 AM
    Although a laptoeep is a good option to have as a media server, I would prefer to have the PB act as my media server. It's smaller and is almost invisible under my TV. Also a lot easier to take to your friends house to watch movies on a big screen instead of lugging around a big laptop.
    The good option exists, where you control your laptop or desktop with your PB. Two free programs exist, IMT VNC and Freemote Control, both available for free in APP World. I think Freemote Control is a little easier to set up and use. There is another App, CompRemote lite, also free, which allows your playbook to be used as a remote mouse for your laptop.
    03-16-12 02:41 AM
    The good option exists, where you control your laptop or desktop with your PB. Two free programs exist, IMT VNC and Freemote Control, both available for free in APP World. I think Freemote Control is a little easier to set up and use. There is another App, CompRemote lite, also free, which allows your playbook to be used as a remote mouse for your laptop.
    Thanks! I honestly thought the only apps that showed you your pc screen were Splashtop and Remote Desktop, IMT VNC looks great!
    03-16-12 02:59 AM
    I use android vnc!! Works good!
    03-16-12 06:47 AM
    Hi Manuelino,

I use android vnc!! Works good!
    Thanks for mentioning this one. I have Apple Remote Desktop and would like to give assistance to someone with PlayBook VNC Server. Because of your post Android VNC seems to be the way to go for.

Can I assume that the VNC Server needs to be installed in the usual sideload way?
    Could you let me know what client you use?

Thanks a lot.
    05-21-12 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD