Hey guys,

I just came across this and koodos to the one that built this from scratch..! From your experiences, think when this is completed or whats currently offered something that could work with the Playbook 2.0?

Here's the link towards the XDA Dev that built it!

[APP][27FEB][GB|ICS] VLC Media Player Beta *unofficial* - xda-developers
    03-03-12 11:01 PM
    VideoLAN - VLC media player source code

There is already a version of VLC that is native to QNX, it may just need to be recompiled against the NDK to run on the PlayBook.
    03-03-12 11:08 PM
    I asked this in the BlackBerry Beta PlayBook forums and was told it might be a matter of missing QNX libraries to run the linked version of VLC for QNX and to take my concerns to the development forums.
    03-03-12 11:37 PM
    If you ever get VLC working on the Playbook I will shower you with my tax return money.
    bluetroll, joski, dave1701 and 1 others like this.
    03-04-12 12:18 AM
    yeah, id donate a few bucks
    03-04-12 09:38 AM
    id lick you from head to toe, and not metaphorically speaking
    dave1701 likes this.
    03-04-12 11:26 AM
    The linked app is built with the Android NDK, which is not (and never will be) compatible with the Android Player. Android NDK apps should be ported to the PlayBook NDK.

In the case of VLC it already supports QNX, no need to port the Android version. It's waiting on a dev to do the work of compiling it with the PlayBook NDK and releasing it.

However, you probably don't want it. VLC has no support for the PlayBook's hardware accelerated decoding. As a result any VLC app would only be capable of SD decoding, and even then it would significantly reduce battery life when in use.

Getting RIM to add more codecs to the hardware accelerated decoder is a MUCH better way to go. With the addition of just AC-3 and DTS audio codecs the PlayBook would play virtually any file. Rather than begging devs to port VLC, beg RIM (Twitter, BetaZone, etc) to support AC-3 and DTS. I'd say lobby for AC-3 first, it's used in way more videos than DTS.
    03-04-12 07:01 PM
    This is a sad news indeed, so does anyone which vdo player can play all format? or at least most formats?
    03-04-12 11:21 PM
    Brings me back to the days of PalmOS (on my Tapwave Zodiac) thinking about how things were before TCPMP (Core Pocket Media Player) was released. Out of the blue we got a totally free player capable of playing tons of formats...at perfect speed on a 200mhz arm based processor! I hope we see one of these "super players" released for the PB one day. Till then, the default player does a very nice job provided you stick with the file restrictions.
    icepearl likes this.
    03-04-12 11:31 PM
    So it has source code support for QNX and no one has done anything to make it work on Playbook?

Come on RIM, hire someone to get it work!
    03-09-12 12:24 PM
    Getting RIM to add more codecs to the hardware accelerated decoder is a MUCH better way to go.
    What do I have to sign? Or kiss??
    03-20-12 03:50 AM
    please get this to work!!

- Charles
    03-27-12 03:39 PM
    I am having AC3 all others seem to work. Will BB support ac3 any time soon. Tried many sideload like arch media and rock player but none seems to work.
    06-02-12 07:45 AM
    You guys do NOT want VLC.

There's nothing special about the VLC app itself. It's not suited to tablets.

It's the back-end codecs you want. Many of which are already working on QNX.
    06-02-12 07:49 AM
    You guys do NOT want VLC.

There's nothing special about the VLC app itself. It's not suited to tablets.

It's the back-end codecs you want. Many of which are already working on QNX.
    Could you please provide a list of working codecs already working on QNX vs VLC?

It looks like the codec-pack of years ago. Embedding the codecs into the application rather than the OS proved better on the desktop, why should it be the opposite for tablets?
    06-03-12 11:35 AM
    Embedding the codecs into the application rather than the OS proved better on the desktop, why should it be the opposite for tablets?
    I would also like to know why but from taylortbb's post above it appears to be a matter of efficiency which strongly impacts battery life.........more important in a tablet
    06-03-12 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD