It's the same reason face time requires wifi. It would be awful without it. Then you would have more complaining that it doesn't work. Not sure that falls into the epic fail category.
    or you could use skype which works over cellular data.

but you're wrong on that point anyway. jailbroken iphones can use facetime over 3g. i've used it. works fine. but that obviously depends on your carrier speed. i hear at&t in the US isn't that great.
    Last edited by nada_surf; 12-27-11 at 11:44 AM.
    12-27-11 11:37 AM
    It's the same reason face time requires wifi. It would be awful without it. Then you would have more complaining that it doesn't work. Not sure that falls into the epic fail category.
    +1, epic burn!
    12-27-11 11:38 AM
    It's quite simple really---whenever an app REQUIRES WiFi, it brings the PB down to the level of the Kindle Fire. VC could easily recognize the slow bridge connection speed, and then use lower res imagery, or even audio only.

You people who always enjoy the PB in its full WiFi-bathed glory, please understand that for some of us, the nearest hotspot could be twenty miles away.
    Disparishun likes this.
    12-27-11 11:53 AM
    Ha! Rumours, rumours; and nobody saw Angry Birds coming at all.

Anyway, I just tried ReelPortal. So, all you folks scratching their heads trying to videochat with your iOS/PC buddies, tell them to get the app. There is even a client for Mac (Adobe Air required). It does the job, not as crisp as Skype or PB Video Chat, but there it is to be used.

The PB will be a hit if Skype arrives soon. It's almost begging for it with that better-than-ok dual webcam.
    Did you know that you can adjust the video quality in ReelPortal? It's designed to be flexible, that the viewer (receiving side) can adjust video quality on each incoming stream independently. I don't think any other app allows the viewer to do that.

See more here: Reel Talk - www.ReelPortal.com: Video Quality Adjustments

At the highest settings, the quality of the stream should be almost like the original.
    12-28-11 08:23 PM
    Great hint about AOL video chat. Now I'm able to VC with OS2 beta. Thanks!!!
    12-28-11 11:42 PM
    Can use playbook video chat connect to msn or yahoo?
    06-06-12 05:15 PM
    I have to agree with OP,the video chat on the PB is top notch Im able to keep in touch with my wife on it and it sorta makes the playbook users special since we have playbook only video chat. The playbook is one smooth piece of equipment. Like I said when i first got the playbook I thought id never use it, and now I use it more than my PC LOL. So basically if the PB cant do it then people should boycott the skypes, netflix(YUCK) etc and really support the people supporting us instead of beggin these jerks to bring their preicous suckflixs to pb
    06-07-12 05:38 AM
    Ta for the AOl tip! I would never have found that, and now its a permanent bookmark on my homescreen. Easy to email home if I am away to set up a video chat!

I'm glad I have switched to an all BB setup, after selling the Touchpad and (soon) the N9. These are little things that RIM should have been highlighting, like easy to use chat via Flash that is built in to the browser.
    06-08-12 12:11 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD