"umm...why would 'apple cult members' care about video chat. they've had facetime forever now."

Facetime works across the same number of platforms that BB vid chat does, which is exactly one....some people are better at getting to the crux of an issue than others are, I spose and others utterly refuse to see when they are being "played".
    12-26-11 06:02 AM
    Hope my relatives and co-worker own playbook as well.......but they all Skype..
    12-26-11 09:52 AM
    I'm with the OP, the vid chat is the bomb. I, my mom, & my brother bought PB32s on black Fri, and we've been vid chatting since. I walked all over the house on Christmas day showing the family off to them. Nice post, and I can live without Skype - been living without for quite awhile in fact. The PB doesn't have to be all things to all people.
    AggreX likes this.
    12-26-11 10:50 AM
    Whoever said technology doesn't help bring people together hasn't used Video Chat ...
    I'm not sure that anyone actually said this. It's hard to say that Alex Graham Bell didn't leave a big mark in our last century. Not to take away from your point, but electronic communication exists to bring people together. Sorry for the counterpoint, just felt it needed to said. With that, happy Boxing Day from the USA (delivered electronically to all who read it).
    12-26-11 10:58 AM
    a lot of new PB owners are using the "search" feature to look for skype, which is EXACTLY what they are supposed to do....and this thread comes up top. So deal with it.

Yes, it sucks that the PB does not have Skype. I was kinda shocked when I read through this thread. Laptops don't work in every Skype situation, especially when you don't have it with you.

I carry my PB everywhere. For RIM to make an app that is only good for other playbooks is a great example of why they are struggling now. And yes, I am a BB fan boy. I have the 9930 and the PB, but the lack of a cross platform video chat is just lame.

When I read the title of this thread, it looked like it implied the PB video chat is a PB killer...and it very well could be for a lot of people. maybe it will work with 2.0 through android.
    12-26-11 11:37 AM
    Thanks to everyone (and, seriously, everyone) for a good discussion. Please note that I was never trying to make the point that the PlayBook's own video chat is inherently superior to the alternatives, that Skype is bad or anything (it's not, and I want to see it come to the platform as well since I still have many friends on it), or that we've got something no other platform has. (Yes, in spite of the title of the thread...)

I was primarily making the point that a 7" tablet with excellent video and performance characteristics makes a really kick- way to stay in touch, to share a more intimate form of contact than phone calls (or any text-only or voice-only medium) provides. The video adds a real extra dimension, far more than I imagined it would, but it's not just that.

The highly mobile form factor of the PlayBook, and the front and back cameras, makes a big difference in how you use it. I think everyone who has used it, and who realized you can flip between the front and rear cameras, has experience the feeling of surprise when they saw how novel and effective it is to walk around showing off the view of the snow on the front yard, or a close-up view of the Christmas presents or snack tray or whatever it was, and without having to do a weird point-the-screen-awkwardly-at-the-target as you'd have to with only a front-facing camera.

Now, if Skype with video ever shows up here, that will be even better... but for now, this is what we've got, and I'm pretty impressed with it.
    jivegirl14 and John.P like this.
    12-26-11 12:38 PM
    Now, if we could use it and Android player at the same time ...
    12-26-11 12:47 PM
    Facetime works across the same number of platforms that BB vid chat does, which is exactly one....
    Video chat is excellent on the PB and is indeed one of its killer apps, at least for us -- motivated my wife and I to get together with my brother and buy, between us, something like 11 PlayBooks as gifts to family members. We told them we were basically giving them videophones to keep in touch with family and, oh yeah, there's a bunch of other pretty cool features if they want to explore them.

However, the statement above is not quite right. Facetime may work for only one operating system, just like BB Video Chat, but it runs on three platforms -- smartphone, tablet, and laptop/desktop.

Here's hoping BB Video Chat matches it. We can certainly expect to see BB Video Chat to come to two platforms, since the new BBX phones will run the same OS as the PBs. But the logically awesome move would be to see BB Video Chat integrated into BBM, and for the souped-up BBM to be rolled out to a laptop/desktop version (i.e. a Windows app) as well.
    12-26-11 01:02 PM
    Skype mobile

Its for verizon phones only though and since there are no dual cameras on blackberry yet its sort of pointless....
    12-26-11 01:34 PM
    Skype is in beta on PB 2.0! SO y'all be patient for a few weeks more and good things will .

Also, try this site: AV by AOL - Let's video chat! --- it's flash based and does great PB video chat, you can have up to 4 peeps and no app is req'd. you can even have participants from a PC join in!

ADD ME IF YOU WANT TO TRY IT OUT!!!! or msg me via CB
    Yorkies62 likes this.
    12-26-11 06:20 PM
    Skype is in beta on PB 2.0! SO y'all be patient for a few weeks more and good things will .
    I hope you really know this is happening and not just blowing smoke. Hopefully 2.0 will bring all the apps we've been waiting for.
    12-26-11 07:18 PM
    Dude, you just broke news on the forum with the Skype comment. Tread carefully.
    12-26-11 07:35 PM
    How do you know that?
    12-26-11 07:52 PM
    Ha! Rumours, rumours; and nobody saw Angry Birds coming at all.

Anyway, I just tried ReelPortal. So, all you folks scratching their heads trying to videochat with your iOS/PC buddies, tell them to get the app. There is even a client for Mac (Adobe Air required). It does the job, not as crisp as Skype or PB Video Chat, but there it is to be used.

The PB will be a hit if Skype arrives soon. It's almost begging for it with that better-than-ok dual webcam.
    12-26-11 08:06 PM
    This great little device was still born and I think we all want to see it have a fighting chance to live... But alas without Skype I believe it's likely to remain a dead donkey..with Skype it has a chance..
    12-26-11 11:34 PM
    By way of comparison to other ecosystems, Apple Facetime only works with Apple Facetime, and only on the latest Apple devices. PB Video Chat is similarly a closed network, just like Facetime.
    thats not true at all. facetime works on my iphone, on my ipad and on my macbook. does the playbook video chat work with blackberries? i have no idea.
    12-26-11 11:37 PM
    I find the title of this thread a little problematic. Killer app suggests a competitive advantage. If the OP was suggesting that vid chat on the PB gives it a competitive advantage, I can see why others would chime in to vigorously argue the point. Other platforms have multiple ways of doing vid chat through multiple apps. iOS has FT as well as at least two others. That is why talking about vid chat as if it were a big deal makes people scoff, laugh, or yawn. Welcome to 2010.

However, I think the OP may have just been saying that he has discovered vid chat to be useful for him. Congrats. To many, it is a little like someone just discovering the usefulness of texting. Glad you like it. But don't make the mistake of thinking that it will change the fortunes of the PB once the world knows it's there.
    12-27-11 07:26 AM

Also, try this site: AV by AOL - Let's video chat! --- it's flash based and does great PB video chat, you can have up to 4 peeps and no app is req'd. you can even have participants from a PC join in!

ADD ME IF YOU WANT TO TRY IT OUT!!!! or msg me via CB
    I agree with you about AOL video chat. It is very easy, no login, no joining with passwords etc etc just straight ahead video chat for everyone.
    12-27-11 08:01 AM
    Just saw reference to AOL video chat. set it up, and started a video chat with my wife upstairs from my PB to her laptop in less than a minute. Very cool, works fine with a bit of a lag. She was startled by the high quality of the video from the PB camera.
    12-27-11 08:28 AM
    As stated before, ReelPortal is an alternative that is easy to use as well.....and worked great for a family chat with me in the US on my PB, my brother in Holland on his PC, and my brother-in-law in Hong Kong.
    12-27-11 08:41 AM
    I find the title of this thread a little problematic. Killer app suggests a competitive advantage. If the OP was suggesting that vid chat on the PB gives it a competitive advantage, I can see why others would chime in to vigorously argue the point. Other platforms have multiple ways of doing vid chat through multiple apps. iOS has FT as well as at least two others. That is why talking about vid chat as if it were a big deal makes people scoff, laugh, or yawn. Welcome to 2010.

However, I think the OP may have just been saying that he has discovered vid chat to be useful for him. Congrats. To many, it is a little like someone just discovering the usefulness of texting. Glad you like it. But don't make the mistake of thinking that it will change the fortunes of the PB once the world knows it's there.
    I believe the OP is suggesting the Video chat on the PB is done well and is a kill app within the platform. I would suggest that FT is a killer app within iOS also! HOWEVER as others have pointed out other options ARE available on the PB and other platforms. Reel Portal for example and AV, plus just about any web based video chats. Even MORE will work once we have Android support in version 2.0.
    12-27-11 09:36 AM
    That's [very] true. Facetime [only] works [with] my [Apple Facetime app on my Gen 4+] iPhone, on my [Apple Facetime app on my Gen 2+] iPad, and on my [Apple Facetime app on my OS X+] Macbook, [and is - exactly as you stated - a "closed" system - meaning proprietary to (recent) Apple hardware.]. Does the PlayBook video chat work with Blackberry [phones]? I have no idea.
    There, I fixed it for you. :-)

PB video chat (as far as I know), doesn't work with BB phones.

Facetime doesn't work with 60% of the Apple products in this house.

We can all agree that a ***cross-platform*** video chat system would be best. Some like Skype, others like Yahoo, there are many others.

Season's greetings.
    12-27-11 10:11 AM
    Well, I finally found a friend (actually, a relative) who got a PB this xmas. I got his BlackBerry ID and was all set to Video Chat with him, when I got the message "The network is disabled or not connected".

Apparently, VC does not work with BB Bridge---only WiFi. Now, I understand why WiFi would be preferred, but it shouldn't be REQUIRED. Epic fail, RIM. I am sorry, and hate to complain about this otherwise wonderful device, but this does not a "killer app" make.
    12-27-11 11:22 AM
    Well, I finally found a friend (actually, a relative) who got a PB this xmas. I got his BlackBerry ID and was all set to Video Chat with him, when I got the message "The network is disabled or not connected".

Apparently, VC does not work with BB Bridge---only WiFi. Now, I understand why WiFi would be preferred, but it shouldn't be REQUIRED. Epic fail, RIM. I am sorry, and hate to complain about this otherwise wonderful device, but this does not a "killer app" make.
    It's the same reason face time requires wifi. It would be awful without it. Then you would have more complaining that it doesn't work. Not sure that falls into the epic fail category.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    12-27-11 11:30 AM
    There, I fixed it for you. :-)

PB video chat (as far as I know), doesn't work with BB phones.

Facetime doesn't work with 60% of the Apple products in this house.

We can all agree that a ***cross-platform*** video chat system would be best. Some like Skype, others like Yahoo, there are many others.

Season's greetings.
    first of all obviously gen 4+ is required since thats when front facing cameras were starting to appear on the iphone. same with the ipad 1 which didn't have a camera. so of course you'd need the versions of products WITH cameras to use facetime. i mean if backwards compatibility is something you're clamoring for, then the playbook fails even more in that regard because it doesnt work with ANYTHING else at all.
    12-27-11 11:36 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD