Does the video quality +/- actually do anything? I can tell with framerate adjustments, but those +/- buttons dont seem to do much at all. Is there any way to increase video quality, to a noticeable extent? (I dont know if its being held back by development tools, but I was a bit disappointed in image quality from a 1080p camera like this.

Also, I cannot seem to get P2P rooms to ever open. They just sit and attempt, but nothing. Is there something I should look into on my Network? (not the most network savvy.)
    09-06-11 11:56 AM
    Here's an explanation of the video quality adjustments:

Reel Talk - www.ReelPortal.com: Video Quality Adjustments

You can even play with it, by calling yourself (echo your own video back from the server). Note that the original video from your webcam doesn't change, but the video echoing from the server changes. At the highest setting, the encoded video should look almost like the original, at the expense of very high bandwidth usage.

For now, I would suggest only use the max resolution of 640x480, since ReelPortal main window is that size. Any higher resolution will be scaled down to that size. Also, higher resolution will consume lots more CPU and bandwidth, and I'm not sure the Playbook can sustain that.

P2P is just a connection method (direct connection between 2 users), as opposed to going thru the server (which is slower, but would be needed if the internet provider blocks P2P). I am not sure what you mean by "sit and attempt". If you get a msg "Connecting to Server..." forever, then something is blocking port 1935 (which is used by ReelPortal to connect to the server).
    09-08-11 04:28 AM
    I used Reelportal playbook app to chat with my friend, my friend was using a mac and for some reason i could'nt see her video, but she could see me. Her mac cam did'nt work but mic worked. Is reelportal.com dependent on flash. I cant figure out why this is happening, please help.
    09-08-11 04:41 AM
    Thanks for the response.

Is there some indication I didn't see for the video quality setting? Like how many levels and where its currently at? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything. I was just messing around with it on my own, with a laptop next to me.

For not connecting to a P2P connection, yes, it says "connecting to my IP" and hangs for a long time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 08:09 AM
    I used Reelportal playbook app to chat with my friend, my friend was using a mac and for some reason i could'nt see her video, but she could see me. Her mac cam did'nt work but mic worked. Is reelportal.com dependent on flash. I cant figure out why this is happening, please help.
    ReelPortal.com uses Flash. Odd that her mic worked, but not cam. When she turned on the cam, did button 10 go Green, and did she see her cam video? I would suggest have her do the echo video test like I mentioned above. Also, make sure no other software is using the webcam.

If it works, then perhaps it's a connection problem, which may be resolved by turning P2P off.

BTW, I also use a Mac and hadn't seen that problem.
    09-08-11 11:48 PM
    Thanks for the response.

Is there some indication I didn't see for the video quality setting? Like how many levels and where its currently at? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything. I was just messing around with it on my own, with a laptop next to me.

For not connecting to a P2P connection, yes, it says "connecting to my IP" and hangs for a long time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You are correct about no visual feedback on those buttons, because the target video you are adjusting doesn't send back the info. I suppose I can add that in. Keep in mind that multiple users can be viewing the same video source, and any viewer can make adjustments to it, and everybody will see the change.

I'm still not clear with your issue on P2P. Did you select a Server other than the <default>? You should always use <default> Server, unless you actually run your own ReelPortal server software (which is available). But this is not related to the P2P mode. That's why I'm confused here.
    09-08-11 11:58 PM
    ReelPortal.com uses Flash. Odd that her mic worked, but not cam. When she turned on the cam, did button 10 go Green, and did she see her cam video? I would suggest have her do the echo video test like I mentioned above. Also, make sure no other software is using the webcam.

If it works, then perhaps it's a connection problem, which may be resolved by turning P2P off.

BTW, I also use a Mac and hadn't seen that problem.
    She told me that she turned cam on button 10 was green, but she could'nt see her cam video. She mentioned that her mac does'nt support flash, i think this could be the issue.

This is an awesome service that you're providing, I've recommended it to my friends and also made a video on this

Keep up the good work.
    reelportal likes this.
    09-09-11 02:44 AM
    @limetrip thanks for making the video. i haven't had time to make an indepth video for it, to show that u can do both public and private rooms, which some app world reviewers didn't seem to know.
    LimeTripBlog likes this.
    09-11-11 03:43 AM
    Its a very wise decision that you did'nt include any registration. Many of my friends loved the website as it did'nt involve any login id and password, now they don't use skype, instead they prefer Reelportal.
    09-11-11 04:07 AM
    @reelportal, just ran into this thread today, really looking forward to using your software, sounds great.

After reading most of the posts and replies, it is awesome to have a developer so hands on and have such passion for their software.

I going to install in a few and give it a whirl.

Best of Luck and count me in as a client.
    09-11-11 09:14 AM
    I tested this app at home on wifi and it works great. When I'm out and using bridge with the app (no wifi or firewalls about), I get the 'connecting to server' message forever and it doesn't go any further. Any ideas?
    09-11-11 04:40 PM
    People have to remember that video requires a lot of bandwidth and the bridge is limited to bluetooth limitations... so I usually avoid using any video apps (youtube, vevo, etc) over the bridge. Probably this is what is limiting reelportal over the bridge.
    09-12-11 09:37 AM
    I just tried reelportal for the first and man it worked so sweet!!!

2 questions.

1. after I pressed exit, there was still some sound coming thru that sounded like the background noise I could hear during the reelportal chats I had. I assume the mic/speaker link takes a few extra seconds to disconnect?

2. after using then exiting reelportal, I went to use the PB videochat and could neither place nor receive a call ...I restarted my PB and then the PB videochat started working just fine. I assume this means that reelportal hadn't released its hold on the cam/mic/speakers?

Comments anyone?
    09-12-11 11:48 AM
    @limetrip thanks, i approached it from the user's point of view. i made it for my own use first and foremost, unlike other software which were designed to collect user data. btw, is your friend running Flash 10.3? that is required to work properly.

@jose thanks! looking forward to hear your take on it.

@scuba did u try a couple times, in case there's some network glitches? if it's still the same problem, then i'd suspect the internet provider is blocking port 1935 (which is standard for Flash video). usually, folks get connected via bridge fine, but had to turn off P2P in order to get audio/video thru. curious, who is your provider?

@patrick u r right about the bandwidth, but there had been a couple folks that actually was getting reelportal working via tethering (at least a few months ago). regarding your issue, did u reboot the playbook after installing? does the problem still persists after u have rebooted? some users reported having problems before rebooting. anyhow, that's definitely not a normal scenario.
    Last edited by reelportal; 09-13-11 at 12:53 AM.
    09-13-11 12:42 AM
    well i have a question for crackberry users: how do u get the crackberry staff to do a review for an app?

i tried emailing the editor, but that goes no where. perhaps if enough users request, then they'd do it?

i had a user on the other day asking where's my marketing skills. i must sadly admit i have none.
    09-13-11 03:22 AM
    ull have my support if u want numbersss
    09-13-11 04:08 AM
    I do not know if the MODS have any influence or way to pass on that information so that it come to their attention. I like the reelportal app and with it I am content without having skype on PB
    09-13-11 07:06 AM
    I'm with Rogers. Regarding P2P and turning it off, that's done from within the app, right? So if you can't get into the app, is there another way to turn it off before it tries to connect to the server?
    09-13-11 07:09 AM
    @rsx & rcab thanks.

@scuba actually the connection to the server is not P2P. i'm inclined to believe the port is blocked or the RTMP protocol itself is blocked. can you try to run ReelPortal from the browser and see if it's the same problem?
    Last edited by reelportal; 09-13-11 at 10:03 PM.
    09-13-11 09:06 PM
    Reelportal if you want to make your website known to the public, create a page in facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/LimeT...561112?sk=wall

Every time when someone "Like" your page, the information is automatically shared with his friends, so a lot of people would know about your website thanks to a Like button.
    09-13-11 10:27 PM
    @LimeTrip Thanks for the idea!

Here is the ReelPortal Page:

ReelPortal Video Chat | Facebook

Hope you all Like it
    09-14-11 01:46 AM
    @LimeTrip Thanks for the idea!

Here is the ReelPortal Page:

ReelPortal Video Chat | Facebook

Hope you all Like it
    Nice Page that you setup, looks much better than mine. lol
    4th person to like it.
    09-14-11 03:28 AM
    Any chance of having your app posted in iTunes App Store for outside the Canadian and US markets (i.e. UK)? Will love to video-chat with my wife between my playbook and her ipad. Thanks
    09-14-11 04:37 PM
    @LimeTrip cool!

@Enri69 it will be available as soon as i can figure out all the paperwork required for exporting outside the U.S. (it's quite confusing to me).
    09-15-11 12:05 AM
    Thanks for the app! It's very good.
    09-15-11 12:23 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD