Application name: VCMS
    Application author: i-Mentalist
    Application credits: i-Mentalist

Download Link(s): Buy VCMS - Download VCMS - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    Price: 2.99$

As you already know... We recently started with new brand... i-Mentalist... what we wanted to do is to provide great graphics from HedoneDesign and combine it with great apps! now... the first PlayBook app is here!!!

VCMS � Vehicle Counters and Monitoring System is graphicly unique application with all the functions and informations you�ll ever need on the road, water or in the sky (including compass, odometer, latitude, longitude, altitude, speed meter, accelerometer, day / night mode) and it�s designed by HedoneDesign.

Features:
    - Compass
    - Odometer (dual (A, B) counter with reset function)
    - Latitude and Longitude (Where am I)
    - Altitude (How high am I)
    - Speed
    - Angle (left / right � forward / backward) � when not driving!
    - Accelerometer
    - Day / Night mode
    - Calibration for angle meter
    - Speed units (km/h, mph, knots)
    - Trip units (km, mi, nmi)
    - Altitude units (meter, feet)
    - Override device backlight timeout
    - Clock
    - Date

XtH description: �VCMS provides, in stunning, airplane cockpit style, compass, odometer, attitude, altitude, speed, and your exact latitude and longitude. It�s the information that�s been sitting in your BlackBerry� Playbook�, unnoticed, all this time, now presented to you in one fiendishly clever app!
    Nobody does beautiful dials and gauges like HedoneDesign, nobody. I used to wake up my Storm screen just to admire those on the Vault theme. Now there�s an app that gives you ongoing useful information on Hedone�s unique dials so you can just stare at them.
    The compass spins with elegant slowness (clearly modeled after oil-damped compasses). The attitude dials on either side will have strangers looking at how BlackBerry� Playbook� got the large balls into such a thin device. The altitude (adjustable to read in feet or meters), speed (kph or mph, and Knots, yeah that�s right), latitude and longitude, distance traveled (dual trip) are easily read on a beautiful, creamy light green or deep blue and black (day and night modes) screen. The time and date are subtly included on the dial which somehow never appears crowded. You can easily reset the calibration anytime so changing the position or your BlackBerry� Playbook� from lap to dashboard is no problem.
    Best of all, unlike your phone, you need no wireless connection for any of these, so take your BlackBerry� Playbook� out to play in your boat, plane, mountain, or arboretum.�

Night Mode:

Day Mode:

Video:

Last edited by hedone.hawker; 10-25-11 at 03:29 PM.
    Dr.Deebs likes this.
    10-25-11 03:25 PM
    This app is a blast! Looks great on my dashboard and is more useful than the standard gauges in my car. Love the day and night modes. Aquires satelites quicker than i can get my car started.
    hedone.hawker likes this.
    10-25-11 10:14 PM
    That is a well done app.

It locks my GPS position in seconds. Tried it this morning on my way to work. Haven't had any problems. Graphics are really well done. Works fast and without any issues!

Well worth the 2.99$!
    10-26-11 04:33 AM
    This app is a blast! Looks great on my dashboard and is more useful than the standard gauges in my car. Love the day and night modes. Aquires satelites quicker than i can get my car started.
    That is a well done app.

It locks my GPS position in seconds. Tried it this morning on my way to work. Haven't had any problems. Graphics are really well done. Works fast and without any issues!

Well worth the 2.99$!
    thanx guys!!! i'm glad you like it!!!

I would really love to hear from other users who got it too... is there someone with nay idea for an upgrade? is there any information missing?
    10-26-11 08:21 AM
    Does the compass use the fluxgate compass in the PlayBook or does it just use the COG from the GPS?

There was mention of GPS status messages. Do these messages show satellite signal strength so you can test if the GPS is working?
    10-26-11 09:14 AM
    Wow you got up to 200 km/h? lol Thank God the cops weren't out. Great application!

Question, and please pardon my ignorance: How does the application acquire a "GPS fix" when the device is only WiFi capable and does not have a radio? What happens to this "GPS fix" acquisition if a WiFi network is not available? Does it do this through bridge? I can't wrap my head around this...
    10-26-11 09:26 AM
    Does the compass use the fluxgate compass in the PlayBook or does it just use the COG from the GPS?

There was mention of GPS status messages. Do these messages show satellite signal strength so you can test if the GPS is working?
    Hey Rob... as you may know all APIs are not out yet. Compass is working trough GPS... (for now?)

Also when you get GPS fix you know you're connected and you have GPS signal. Information shown as meter is not available.
    10-26-11 09:32 AM
    Wow you got up to 200 km/h? lol Thank God the cops weren't out. Great application!

Question, and please pardon my ignorance: How does the application acquire a "GPS fix" when the device is only WiFi capable and does not have a radio? What happens to this "GPS fix" acquisition if a WiFi network is not available? Does it do this through bridge? I can't wrap my head around this...
    hey bounce!!!

GPS fix is not something you would need internet for. GPS fix is something you get trough internal GPS of your Playbook. you dont need WiFi or bridge for it!

oh and yes... i was a bit lucky when police is in question...
    bounce007 likes this.
    10-26-11 09:33 AM
    hey bounce!!!

GPS fix is not something you would need internet for. GPS fix is something you get trough internal GPS of your Playbook. you dont need WiFi or bridge for it!

oh and yes... i was a bit lucky when police is in question...
    Thanks very much, and all the best with your app!
    10-26-11 10:13 AM
    Thank you!
    10-27-11 07:37 AM
    Nice looking app, but guy in video....stupid!

11-07-11 03:36 PM
    is there someone with nay idea for an upgrade? is there any information missing?
    What about a HUD feature...?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 04:39 PM
    What about a HUD feature...?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    We where thinking about it, but there is not enough light from display to project it good enough. Also you need to securely mount your device in a car and by putting it on to the flat surface you didn't really do much... that is why we didn't include it in to application. Maybe we will later on, but for now we don't really plan to.
    11-07-11 04:45 PM
    by turn instruction. (I am willing to pay more for these features.)
    11-07-11 05:01 PM
    Hey Rob... as you may know all APIs are not out yet. Compass is working trough GPS... (for now?)

Also when you get GPS fix you know you're connected and you have GPS signal. Information shown as meter is not available.
    another developer here, buzzstarfield and other hackers are developing access the pb's magnetometer to be used as a digital compass.. perhaps you could monitor and even join the discussion. who knows, maybe you can add compass support without the API from RIM
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-07-11 06:32 PM
    another developer here, buzzstarfield and other hackers are developing access the pb's magnetometer to be used as a digital compass.. perhaps you could monitor and even join the discussion. who knows, maybe you can add compass support without the API from RIM

no i may be wrong since i missed a few pages of that thread but what they were doing was using an android app to stream data from the magnetometer to a "native" playbook app (2 apps need to be running). This is only so that he can get a headstart with coding the logic for the compass part of his app. however, he still has to wait until the native APIs are released and use those. They are not developing APIs that can be used by other developers as your post suggests.
    11-07-11 07:04 PM
    no i may be wrong since i missed a few pages of that thread but what they were doing was using an android app to stream data from the magnetometer to a "native" playbook app (2 apps need to be running). This is only so that he can get a headstart with coding the logic for the compass part of his app. however, he still has to wait until the native APIs are released and use those. They are not developing APIs that can be used by other developers as your post suggests.
    in the last few posts, it was stated that he code works on 1.0.7, hence, I assumed they have found a way to mimic the android coding for the magnetometer using the ndk.. they even got a bar file there that, if I'm not mistaken, could download raw magnetometer data.

It would be awesome if pb developers could figure how to use the magnetometer without RIM's help...
    11-07-11 09:20 PM
    in the last few posts, it was stated that he code works on 1.0.7, hence, I assumed they have found a way to mimic the android coding for the magnetometer using the ndk.. they even got a bar file there that, if I'm not mistaken, could download raw magnetometer data.

It would be awesome if pb developers could figure how to use the magnetometer without RIM's help...
    ok then i stand corrected. that is great news maybe i should familiarise myself with their progress.
    11-07-11 10:33 PM
    ok then i stand corrected. that is great news maybe i should familiarise myself with their progress.
    if you have a phone with a magnetometer (9900) and pb os 1.0.7, maybe you could help out by comparing raw data..

here's the link for quick reference

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...29/index6.html
    11-07-11 11:28 PM
    by turn instruction. (I am willing to pay more for these features.)
    its idea we are thinking about for quite some time now, but not in this application. we are looking forward to get some response from companies using navigation maps but for now we cant give any more information about this.
    11-08-11 03:13 AM
    we'll check that too!!!
    11-08-11 11:56 AM
    Really like the UI. Simple and elegant. Good work.
    11-08-11 12:50 PM
    Some performance-analyzer functions would be great! Time from 0 to a user-determined speed? The ability to collect a series of lateral-acceleration measurements, even if they're not calibrated, and plot them later (along with speed) over time can be useful. Maybe record a route with GPS and offer a way (again, after the fact), to allow the user to look at speed/accel info at different points along that route.

Okay, this last might be ambitious. Also, if the GPS engine is slower than 10Hz or so, acceleration times might not be useful enough to bother with.

Just some ideas...but it's a great app as it is! 'Can't wait to see what the future brings...
    11-10-11 09:23 AM
    Really like the UI. Simple and elegant. Good work.

Thank you Blacklac!!!
    11-11-11 06:43 AM
    Some performance-analyzer functions would be great! Time from 0 to a user-determined speed? The ability to collect a series of lateral-acceleration measurements, even if they're not calibrated, and plot them later (along with speed) over time can be useful. Maybe record a route with GPS and offer a way (again, after the fact), to allow the user to look at speed/accel info at different points along that route.

Okay, this last might be ambitious. Also, if the GPS engine is slower than 10Hz or so, acceleration times might not be useful enough to bother with.

Just some ideas...but it's a great app as it is! 'Can't wait to see what the future brings...
    we are looking in to some functions you've mentioned, but we cant say at this moment if and what of those will be included.

but copy function will be included, so that you can copy and paste your position in to email or BBM... or you'll be able to share it on FB or Twitter
    11-12-11 06:27 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD