Does anyone TRULY use their PB for in-car navigation? And if so, what apps are you using? And since the app obviously needs an internet connection, does it work over Bridge, or do you need to tether?

Thanks all!
    06-25-12 03:32 PM
    Osmand (App World) doesnt need internet for maps or navigstion. it works quite well but has a few memory issues.

i would love to see anative navit port for the playbook.
    06-25-12 04:22 PM
    Would like to find an app that does not require being connected to the wifi or 3g. Any free ones?
    06-25-12 04:24 PM
    Osmand (App World) doesnt need internet for maps or navigstion. it works quite well but has a few memory issues.

i would love to see anative navit port for the playbook.
    I'm working my way through Osmand as we speak. It's not very user-friendly... and you CAN download the apps in advance... But I'm getting various error messages when trying to do a Navigation.
    06-25-12 04:34 PM
    Magellan works well when you preload the maps into the cache over wifi before hand. I have all of Pittsburgh at the street level and most of the tri state area at the community level. Works great and requires no internet connection for navigation. The Yelp feature is slow to respond over Bridge, but I rarely use it anyway. For the price I find it to be rather impressive, and will only improve with updates.
    06-25-12 05:32 PM
    I looked at doing that but was unable to locate a holder that would be secure and work well with vehicle interior. Been using my Bold 9930. If they made a decent car unit I would. If you find a good car unit please let me know.
    06-25-12 06:49 PM
    I've been using Navigator which is an Android app (in App World). It can use downloaded maps and has turn-by-turn voice directions. Somebody thought it was the same as Osmand, which is free, but Navigator sounds like it's more stable. I think it works quite well since the last update.
    06-25-12 11:50 PM
    I've been using Magellan. Just remember to cache the tiles that you want to use and you can store however much you want. It works pretty good. The biggest shortcoming I have found with it is the location search needs to be an actual address, but i believe they are working on that.

I got the igrip windshield holder from crackberry. Also quite good but it is based on a suction cup system and it sometimes falls off if there are large temperature fluctuations (direct sunlight, cold snap in the winter)

They have been quite active updating it so I am optimistic that it will continue to get better.
    06-26-12 12:09 AM
    Magellan is best with map cache and then a app called "Map search for Google" works the best when using bridge. From my experience anyway.
    06-26-12 01:19 AM
    I am in the UK using Google Maps sideloaded as an Android app. It appears on the PB in the Android apps folder as Latitude. Find it on the Good E Reader site. The PB is tethered to my BB Storm 9500. I used it yesterday to drive into London and back and it works perfectly, although it did lose the GPS connection at one point.

Later in the day I used it to drive 400 miles from Essex to Land's End. I knew the route as I do it often but I wanted to find out if the Google app worked. It does. I was amazed. Turn by turn directions through the BB speakers, and it even tells you when to change lanes at motorway junctions. It has a bird's eye view of the route, and it goes into close-up when you slow down for roundabouts etc. Map movement is smooth and fluid.

Based on yesterday's experience, I recommend this app. The only downside was that after six hours of driving my PB the battery died, so I now need to get an in-car charger and a suitable mounting for the PB on my dashboard or windscreen. It also hammered my Storm battery, normally I have an in car charger but for some reason it is not charging my Storm. I swapped batteries after 5 hours and after the phone had rebooted Google/Latitude picked up where we had left off.

I'm not sure if my carrier (Vodafone, monthly contract) charges extra for tethering, if so I might get a surprise bill, but the system works very well and I recommend it.

I also have Magellan loaded on the PB, this app works very well too but does not (as far as I have discovered) have turn by turn spoken guidance nor the bird's eye view to the horizon, just vertical map views. That works very well and is a good alternative if you just want to "follow the blue line" route worked out for you.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    06-26-12 05:31 AM
    Osmand works fine for me . Stay away from Magellan (as far as off line nav is concerned) - their tile caching is unreliable , most of the time works half a**ed , and is not worth the hassle/aggrevation to make it work.
    06-26-12 08:27 AM
    Osmand works fine for me . Stay away from Magellan (as far as off line nav is concerned) - their tile caching is unreliable , most of the time works half a**ed , and is not worth the hassle/aggrevation to make it work.

Yikes! Thanks for the tip!
    07-01-12 09:50 AM
    I must also recommend Google Maps, especially in combination with OS 2.1. The new version (6.9), which I downloaded as an apk and converted myself, makes it easy to take an entire map region offline for use without a data connection. I did this for the entire island of Mauritius and now I have a complete map with GPS tracking/positioning for when I'm out and about. In the future, when I travel to Europe or back to the States, I'll precache the major metro areas I'll be visiting and go from there.

Note: I really don't need offline turn-by-turn since, unlike some people, I can still read a map - especially one that shows me where I am (GPS) in relation to where I want to go.

RCK
    Last edited by rkennedy01; 07-01-12 at 10:19 AM.
    07-01-12 10:09 AM
    I must also recommend Google Maps. The new version, which I download

RCK

Sideloaded, and the navigation works well on it? Doesn't it need internet connection?
    07-01-12 10:12 AM
    Sideloaded, and the navigation works well on it? Doesn't it need internet connection?
    Broken post - see completed version above.

RCK
    07-01-12 10:21 AM
    I know last am slow, but I cannot figure out how to give Osmand
    a destination and get directions from a known location.
    07-01-12 10:56 AM
    I'm using Wisepilot on my Playbook. I downloaded and bought the app when my Playbook was rooted. I have been using Wisepilot on my 9900 for quite some time (it's in Appworld) so I already had an account. It works great, almost as well as Garmin. You can still sideload the bar file but unless you have an account you can't use it. If however you do have an account it's work a try. Good luck!
    07-01-12 11:11 AM
    I know last am slow, but I cannot figure out how to give Osmand

a destination and get directions from a known location.

ditto that! Trust me, you're not slow. I can't figure it out either.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-01-12 11:48 AM
    I must also recommend Google Maps, especially in combination with OS 2.1. The new version (6.9), which I downloaded as an apk and converted myself, makes it easy to take an entire map region offline for use without a data connection. I did this for the entire island of Mauritius and now I have a complete map with GPS tracking/positioning for when I'm out and about. In the future, when I travel to Europe or back to the States, I'll precache the major metro areas I'll be visiting and go from there.

Note: I really don't need offline turn-by-turn since, unlike some people, I can still read a map - especially one that shows me where I am (GPS) in relation to where I want to go.

RCK
    6.9 runs fine? It doesn't crash when you open settings?
    07-01-12 02:17 PM
    6.9 runs fine? It doesn't crash when you open settings?
    It does, but you don't need to open settings. All the main features work fine, you can even cache an area to offline without going to settings because there's a button for that Both map search and navigation work fine.
    07-01-12 02:57 PM
    It does, but you don't need to open settings. All the main features work fine, you can even cache an area to offline without going to settings because there's a button for that Both map search and navigation work fine.
    Ok, I'll give it a try.
    The next feature I'd like Google to implement is to cache the map segments along a route from start to end...
    07-01-12 03:32 PM
    Navigator in App World works pretty well. Also, AlpineQuest Lite for the Android, converted to the Playbook, works quite well I find. If you like it you can buy the full version.
    07-01-12 04:56 PM
    Update: Google Maps worked fine when I tested it at home, but I suspect it got its position by WiFi router. Yesterday I took my PlayBook with me on a little walk, first it wasn't able to catch a GPS signal at all, then I tried to turn WiFi on, after a few moments it showed my position in a house nearby, but the arrow didn't move when I walked further and then disappeared again. Also tried Locus, didn't catch a signal at all. So did I do something wrong, or do I have to set something up in order to get GPS in Google Maps working?
    07-06-12 08:25 AM
    How simple is the UI of Navigator. I am hesitant to buy another program with an impossible UI.
    07-06-12 10:21 AM
    When using osmand, how do you prevent the screen from shutting down? I already used the ''stay on'' app, but it's icon must be seen on the screen or the screen will still shut down. I have the same issue with google navigation.
    07-06-12 10:41 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD