Bookmark management? Sucks. Chrome SpeedDial? Rocks. Can we get this experience on the playbook? Yes (kinda).

Basically, create a page in html with widgets, links to all your favourite web destinations, and whatever else you fancy. Put it on your playbook, type "file:///" into the Playbook Web Browser, find your start page (/accounts/1000/shared/whereveryouputit), open it, and set it as the home page. Voila.

Currently, I'm using a modified version of this lovely piece of work by Gocom...
    Estacado start page by *Gocom on deviantART

... but this little piece by flatmo1 also looks amazing as the start page of the Playbook Web Browser.
    EIGHT - start page - UPDATE by ~flatmo1 on deviantART

Good luck have fun.
    05-03-12 11:55 PM
    I checked this out and the page as EIGHT is wonderful. Downloaded to my playbook and had to do some renaming of the files and whatnot to get it to pull up correctly, but this is a really neat concept. It is MetroUI like Windows 8 which is pretty cool. I like how it comes default with 3 screens you can swipe through so there are PLENTY of bookmark space to create.

Yes, I do think it would take a bit of time and care to set up because if you want to change the bookmarks/tiles, you have to download an icon and edit the folder.

But I really like this and plan to use it in full!
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    05-04-12 10:18 AM
    I use Speed Dial 2 on Chrome, and have it synchronized online so I can access it from the PB as my home page (the online sync costs less than $2 once off). It works very well, but I have to say that the UI of Eight is very nice.

I posted a few screenshots a while back: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...gement-713248/
    Last edited by zynks; 05-04-12 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added screenshot link
    05-04-12 12:13 PM
    Any specific version/root required for this. Or is it pretty straight forward with anything?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    05-04-12 02:10 PM
    Any specific version/root required for this. Or is it pretty straight forward with anything?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Nope. Just get an HTML file, put it on your playbook, and load it.
    05-04-12 03:33 PM
    I was actually looking into it a bit more and was wondering how tough it would be to possibly expand into 4-5 pages. Heck, with a bookmark management feature that is this elegant, might as well plan for expansion. I'm not sure how easy that would be to possibly add in another page or two.
    05-04-12 04:03 PM
    mine says when i type in the file path "error this file could not be opened check that you have the correct permissions" its in my downloads folder any suggestions?
    05-04-12 04:22 PM
    How easy is it to edit either of them to reflect my choices for images and/or urls?

Okay, oddly, I opened the second example with the colorful boxes. And I can scroll right and then back left manually. BUT if I use that little arrow at the top right of the choices (not the Search arrow), I canNOT get back to the left panes again. Java, flash, etc are all ON.
    Last edited by F2; 05-04-12 at 07:33 PM.
    05-04-12 07:21 PM
    How easy is it to edit either of them to reflect my choices for images and/or urls?

Okay, oddly, I opened the second example with the colorful boxes. And I can scroll right and then back left manually. BUT if I use that little arrow at the top right of the choices (not the Search arrow), I canNOT get back to the left panes again. Java, flash, etc are all ON.
    To edit the url is very easy, just open the correct .js file and edit away
    To edit the image is a little harder. Inside the zip file is a "guide" which shows the recommended dimensions for each logo/thumbnail.

You would then hunt down whatever image you want, convert/edit/resize accordingly and then stick it in the folder with all the other thumbnails. Go back to the .js file and type the file name of the image you just edited for it to show properly.

I am having the same issue as you when i press the arrow.
    Also, im not really "feelin" the way the sliding works. If it had a stop with a bounce effect on each "page" it would be excellent.

Any html5 pros in here?
    05-04-12 09:48 PM
    I used the config.htm. It created the content of the js file in a very WYGIWYS way. All I had to do was paste it into the js.

EDIT: Ok, I like this thing!

Last edited by diegonei; 05-04-12 at 10:15 PM.
    05-04-12 10:09 PM
    Bookmark management? Sucks. Chrome SpeedDial? Rocks. Can we get this experience on the playbook? Yes (kinda).

Basically, create a page in html with widgets, links to all your favourite web destinations, and whatever else you fancy. Put it on your playbook, type "file:///" into the Playbook Web Browser, find your start page (/accounts/1000/shared/whereveryouputit), open it, and set it as the home page. Voila.
    LOL because this is exactly what my App which I released some time ago called Start in Style does.

On top of creating the custom page it actually gives you decent UI where you can manage (add, edit, move up and down) your bookmarks.
    The problem is my start page is somewhat simple and not as nice as the one you pointed at at DeviantArt which is AMAZING....

I will do some poking and see if the DeviantArt license allows me to use it in my app - that would be awesome...
    05-04-12 10:33 PM
    mine says when i type in the file path "error this file could not be opened check that you have the correct permissions" its in my downloads folder any suggestions?
    05-04-12 11:45 PM
    I used the config.htm. It created the content of the js file in a very WYGIWYS way. All I had to do was paste it into the js.

Click to view quoted image

EDIT: Ok, I like this thing!

Click to view quoted image
    Ah, I see, using the Config.htm file, it sets up the number of screens (does hover work on the pb?) and then give a GEAR/Settings symbol as you hover over each "colored link box" so you can change the name and the actual url/link.

Have you worked out the "forward" and "back" arrows? I am guessing the panels are slightly too wide for the pb display making the back arrows off the page and not clickable???

edited to add: anybody know how to make the "transparent" png logo files.
    Last edited by F2; 05-05-12 at 12:22 AM.
    05-04-12 11:49 PM
    I extracted the contents of the zip file to my computer and kept the folder hierarchy. Then I moved all of it, keeping its folders and files intact, to my pb under my documents/html folder. Then I used Files&Folders (or other manager app) to open it. I have not set it as my homepage but might if I tweak it for my sites.
    05-04-12 11:51 PM
    here's mine!

Zyzomys likes this.
    05-05-12 04:43 PM
    For all of you using the EIGHT design, here are a couple of logos I've reworked for it, which I use for Crackberry and Gmail. Enjoy.
    05-05-12 07:39 PM
    For all of you using the EIGHT design, here are a couple of logos I've reworked for it, which I use for Crackberry and Gmail. Enjoy.
    Do you mine explaining how you create these transparent or semi-transparent PNG files? Thanks.
    05-05-12 07:48 PM
    Do you mine explaining how you create these transparent or semi-transparent PNG files? Thanks.
    I use Photoshop. You can save *.PNG files with transparencies in Photoshop. Just paste a logo on a transparent canvas and erase whatever you don't want, leaving only the transparent canvas.
    05-05-12 08:19 PM
    Ill go into a little more detail on how i do it

Open photoshop obviously

File>New
    It asks for dimensions, i type in the dimensions for the logo i want to replace. You can find the dimensions in the main folder of the zip file. Its sketch.jpg

The I do the following
    Image>Size - and reduce the width by 5-10 pixels. The reason i do it now and not while creating the file is to let photoshop constrain the dimensions, which saves me from having to calculate the height. The REASON I do it is it just ends up looking cleaner.

Next, on my "Layers" Window i create three new layers by clicking the small folding page icon three times. One will be the new background, one the new foreground, and one will temporarily be a black background to make it easier to work. The original "Background" layer will be white and have a lock on it. You may drag this to the trash can to get rid of it.

I usually have my icon by now, but if you dont, go to google and find the largest example of the icon you want to use. Preferably this icon will have a solid or even transparent background.

Save the icon/logo file somewhere easy to find such as the desktop. Open this file in photoshop (File>Open).

If it has a solid background i use the magic wand tool to select the entire background. I then go to Select>Similar to automatically select like colors such as the inside of an O B A Q and so on

Once i have that selection I go to Select>Inverse which should make it select only the logo itself.

Next I use Edit>Copy
    Next i go to the new file i created and make sure i have the topmost layer active
    I then use Edit>Paste to get the logo into my new file
    It may be necessary to resize and center your logo. The black background should make it easy to see if the logo is clean with no artifacts or jaggies

If the logo is multi colored and you dont want it to be, you can ctrl+click on the small thukbnail image beside the Layer name. This will select the logo itself. Make white or whatever your desired logo color your foreground color (top left in the two little square thing) and press ctrl+backspace to fill the logo with your selected foreground color.

Finally, delete the black background layer, leaving a transparent background layer. Save your file as a .png (File>Save As...>Drop Down box under file type and scroll to .png), name it whatever and move it to your start pages thumbnail folder

Done.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-05-12 08:42 PM
    I use Photoshop. You can save *.PNG files with transparencies in Photoshop. Just paste a logo on a transparent canvas and erase whatever you don't want, leaving only the transparent canvas.
    Ah, beyond my normal pay grade but I found a tutorial that showed me how:

Create a Transparent Image with Alpha Channel - Tutorial
    05-05-12 09:05 PM
    Ill go into a little more detail on how i do it

Open photoshop obviously

File>New
    It asks for dimensions, i type in the dimensions for the logo i want to replace. You can find the dimensions in the main folder of the zip file. Its sketch.jpg

The I do the following
    Image>Size - and reduce the width by 5-10 pixels. The reason i do it now and not while creating the file is to let photoshop constrain the dimensions, which saves me from having to calculate the height. The REASON I do it is it just ends up looking cleaner.

Next, on my "Layers" Window i create three new layers by clicking the small folding page icon three times. One will be the new background, one the new foreground, and one will temporarily be a black background to make it easier to work. The original "Background" layer will be white and have a lock on it. You may drag this to the trash can to get rid of it.

I usually have my icon by now, but if you dont, go to google and find the largest example of the icon you want to use. Preferably this icon will have a solid or even transparent background.

Save the icon/logo file somewhere easy to find such as the desktop. Open this file in photoshop (File>Open).

If it has a solid background i use the magic wand tool to select the entire background. I then go to Select>Similar to automatically select like colors such as the inside of an O B A Q and so on

Once i have that selection I go to Select>Inverse which should make it select only the logo itself.

Next I use Edit>Copy
    Next i go to the new file i created and make sure i have the topmost layer active
    I then use Edit>Paste to get the logo into my new file
    It may be necessary to resize and center your logo. The black background should make it easy to see if the logo is clean with no artifacts or jaggies

If the logo is multi colored and you dont want it to be, you can ctrl+click on the small thukbnail image beside the Layer name. This will select the logo itself. Make white or whatever your desired logo color your foreground color (top left in the two little square thing) and press ctrl+backspace to fill the logo with your selected foreground color.

Finally, delete the black background layer, leaving a transparent background layer. Save your file as a .png (File>Save As...>Drop Down box under file type and scroll to .png), name it whatever and move it to your start pages thumbnail folder

Done.
    Done and WELL done. Thanks for the complete tutorial. Now to find logos for sites I would like - the tedious part.
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    05-05-12 10:22 PM
    can i set this up on my computer and then transfer it over to the PB?

it seems like it would be a lot easier to do that.

Also, I can help create some logos in photoshop so why don we start a list of 'wanted' logos and then people can create them and post them here...

I will be making one for TSN.ca and MLB.com when I have time

WANTED LOGOS:
    (list will be updated)
    05-06-12 01:53 PM
    can i set this up on my computer and then transfer it over to the PB?

it seems like it would be a lot easier to do that.

Also, I can help create some logos in photoshop so why don we start a list of 'wanted' logos and then people can create them and post them here...

I will be making one for TSN.ca and MLB.com when I have time

WANTED LOGOS:
    (list will be updated)
    Yes, You can set it up on your computer. I did that first, and then just copied the folder over to my Playbook via wifi file sharing.
    05-06-12 02:00 PM
    Sharing icons would be nice. I've got a rough one because areas of the logo were not "captured" by the magic want. I guess that's where additional selections would be needed.
    05-06-12 11:39 PM
    Sharing icons would be nice. I've got a rough one because areas of the logo were not "captured" by the magic want. I guess that's where additional selections would be needed.
    I tried at first with the Magic wand and had similiar issues. Its rather painful to use. What I found that worked the best was to use the Magic Eraser. If you right click the eraser tool, it shoudl give you the option for the magic eraser. To explain how it works, look at the Crackberry logo above. If you just click once on the orange part with the magic eraser, it will/should erase all of the orange around the "CB" in just one click. Then just click once inside the "C" and for each orange space inside the "B" and you should now have a White Transparent "CB" logo.

Hopefully that works. I'm not at my computer with photoshop right now, but I am pretty sure that's how I did it.
    05-07-12 09:14 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD