Why does the playbook app world charge tax for non US citizens / Residents?
    07-15-11 07:54 AM
    They are probably charging tax as per the rules/laws of the country you reside in. If they didn't the country could try to collect it from RIM and tell them they were responsible for collecting taxes in their country.
    07-15-11 07:59 AM
    No such 'sales tax / VAT or Goods and service Tax' in the UAE...
    07-15-11 08:11 AM
    What country is your BlackberryID set up in? Are you using a proxy server to get a non UAE ip?

If it isn't either of these causing the problem, you should try the AppWorld support and see what they can do for you.
    07-15-11 08:14 AM
    Blackberry setup in UAE, no proxy or vpn to other country. (hoping for the pptp vpn soon...)

Not to worried as im leaving here soon, just wondering why im getting hit by 15% tax each time.
    07-15-11 08:20 AM
    Interesting - wonder who they remit the tax to ultimately - rim's coffers?
    07-15-11 09:53 AM
    The US doesn't have any form of national sales tax or VAT. Canada (RIMS home country) has a GST. Are you sure you aren't being charged Canadian tax? Not that that makes any sense either.
    07-15-11 10:33 AM
    App World charges me 9% tax on everything, which is the Washington State sales tax rate and Washington is where my plan is based. I've lived the last several years in Utah/Idaho though.
    I emailed their support, maybe they'll refund the few dollars in tax I've spent lol ($50 says they won't).

Update: Digital River is based in Issaquah, Wa. They process they payment, so they charge sales tax to Washington people.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 12-14-11 at 11:46 PM.
    12-14-11 11:40 PM
    App World charges me 9% tax on everything, which is the Washington State sales tax rate and Washington is where my plan is based. I've lived the last several years in Utah/Idaho though.
    I emailed their support, maybe they'll refund the few dollars in tax I've spent lol ($50 says they won't).

Update: Digital River is based in Issaquah, Wa. They process they payment, so they charge sales tax to Washington people.
    Interesting. That explains, kind of, why I'm being charged sales tax. The question I have is that I am NOT purchasing from Digital River. I'm purchasing from Rim. Digital is just their processing center. When I purchase other products from the internet (other than WA based Amazon), my credit card company (doing business everywhere) does not collect sales tax on those purchases.

I wonder if everyone is paying sales tax?????
    12-14-11 11:59 PM
    I get charged sales tax on all my playbook purchases...i'm in charlotte, nc
    12-15-11 07:22 AM
    Interesting. That explains, kind of, why I'm being charged sales tax. The question I have is that I am NOT purchasing from Digital River. I'm purchasing from Rim. Digital is just their processing center. When I purchase other products from the internet (other than WA based Amazon), my credit card company (doing business everywhere) does not collect sales tax on those purchases.

I wonder if everyone is paying sales tax?????
    Not the same with credit cards. While they are processing a payment, it's on your behalf, not the merchant, in regards to loaning you money for a purchase. There are no sales tax for a loan, AFAIK. Generally, the online merchant must collect sales tax if they have a physical presence in your state. I'm not sure if Washington state makes a distinction between the processing center and the actual merchant, seems as though they don't.
    12-15-11 08:17 AM
    My curiosity is aroused a bit. If I remain interested, I guess I have to see who I'm buying from. I know the physical presence aspect, that's why I "lose" each time I purchase from the home team, Amazon!!!! I just purchased a camera and while the price was cheaper on Amazon, it was ultimately cheaper from Adorama as the tax (or lack, thereof) definitely made a difference.
    12-15-11 08:55 AM
    I haven't figured it all out either, either as a user or from the vendor side of things (where we'll have different taxation issues to cope with).

I do know that one thing that matters more than whether it says "BlackBerry" at the top of the page somewhere, is what the fine print says. In this case, at the bottom of the emailed receipt I see "All Products sold by Digital River S.a.r.l. ("DR")."

I'm in Canada, using a USD PayPal account, and I've never been charged any tax on my purchases.
    12-15-11 09:38 AM
    Odd, I don't get charged tax on purchases from AppWorld. I live in FL.
    12-15-11 10:09 AM
    I'm in Canada, using a USD PayPal account, and I've never been charged any tax on my purchases.
    I'm in Canada too, and I'm actually shocked we don't get charged taxes on app purchases. I know that Apple charges taxes when I purchase apps on iTunes.
    12-15-11 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD