One thing I dislike about the PlayBook UI is that you're unable to minimize or hide a running app without actually having to close it.

So let's say you're playing Slacker but just want to keep it in the background you have to have the app visible at all times. After a couple of windows and apps open everything begins to look cluttered. I don't mind the WebOS-like cards and swipe up to close aspect but will it really be that difficult to add an option to minimize or hide apps?

I hope by the time BlackBerry 10 phones come out this option will be available, at least for phones.
    12-29-11 09:09 PM
    I dunno - it really doesn't bother me - I like the activity especially in showcase mode. I like the thrill and excitement of knowing I am truly multitasking and all those apps are actually running and visible and not suspended. I am a control tyrant and like to know that all my subjects are working for me at all times. Besides, I get bored and impatient and love to swipe to another app often, and like to be reminded of the available options at all times. If I don't want clutter I simply maximize one app. I don't see the problem here.
    jafobabe, Megacharge and kbz1960 like this.
    12-29-11 09:20 PM
    i hide my running apps by have the all tab fully opened so it doesn't bother me much. though I can see what you mean, i like it as it reminds what I have going on.
    Megacharge likes this.
    12-29-11 09:28 PM
    Well if you think about it, seeing all your apps open is kind of a precaution. That way you'll never forget you have an app running in the background and never blame the playbook when battery runs down in 4~5 hours.
    jafobabe, Megacharge and Mr.Monty like this.
    12-29-11 09:35 PM
    Well if you think about it, seeing all your apps open is kind of a precaution. That way you'll never forget you have an app running in the background and never blame the playbook when battery runs down in 4~5 hours.
    RIM can easily implement a special tray or bar (like current BlackBerry's, iPhone or Android) running all your running Apps and have the option to close certain ones or close all.

The current BlackBerry's have this and battery life isn't really an issue.
    12-29-11 09:57 PM
    I do a lot of multi-tasking both on my Windows desktop and the Playbook. I like the "up-from-the-bottom-bezel" minimization. It's a simple matter to see exactly what is open with the thumbnail view - and easy to maximize too. It works well for me. In fact, the toolbar type of minimized window makes it difficult to differentiate between windows depending on the file name.
    12-29-11 10:46 PM
    Laugh Out Loud.
    Playbook interface IMO is very easy to use and works perfectly for multitasking. having everything visible and at your fingertips.. Just how many apps can you effectively use at once? Why would you want to not be able to see at a glance everything your currently running?
    IMO Sell your playbook and move on.
    12-29-11 10:54 PM
    RIM can easily implement a special tray or bar (like current BlackBerry's, iPhone or Android) running all your running Apps and have the option to close certain ones or close all.

I'm not really up on the OS2 beta, but you might want to post your query in the following forum and see if what you want can or will be done.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-tablet-os-f228/

Hopes this helps!
    12-29-11 10:57 PM
    I actually think it's pretty cool. I like being able to see what's running & quick swiping to change from one task to another. But everybody's different & I can appreciate your point.
    12-29-11 11:19 PM

Problem is out of sight out of mind...sure they could do like the phones... but I can't tell you how many times i have not realized I had certain memory and battery sucking apps open on my phone. Besides on playbook you can only practically have 5-6 apps open.

I'd rather have them open and visible to prompt me to do housekeeping once in a while...too bad that philosophy doesn't work in my living room...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-29-11 at 11:40 PM.
    12-29-11 11:30 PM
    I quite like the PlayBook's management of open application windows and the carousel of running apps.

It's about as slick as it gets and I hope it doesn't get ruined like the rest of the OS2 interface.
    12-30-11 02:26 AM
    I'm with David on this. I like listening to podcasts on the PB (the thing could really benefit from a proper podcast aggregator by the way) but do not particularly need to see it open.
    12-30-11 06:18 AM
    i think the swipe up was a slick idea and works great for me ane the multitude of things i happen to be doing.Fast, easy swipe up,and boom open programs are there to swap to.
    12-30-11 06:31 AM
    I hope it stays. I love it. The only time it looks cluttered or whatever is when you have everything minimized. I can't stand the way iOS and android handle it.
    Innovatology likes this.
    12-30-11 06:51 AM
    I do a lot of multi-tasking both on my Windows desktop and the Playbook. I like the "up-from-the-bottom-bezel" minimization. It's a simple matter to see exactly what is open with the thumbnail view - and easy to maximize too. It works well for me. In fact, the toolbar type of minimized window makes it difficult to differentiate between windows depending on the file name.
    I hadn't noticed before but with the carousel open a swipe from the bottom hides the open apps by pulling up the app icons. Another swipe from the bottom brings back the carousel. Doesn't this achieve your purpose of hiding running apps?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-30-11 at 07:20 AM.
    12-30-11 07:14 AM
    Like everything else, options would be nice. I would not mind a mode where you could see 4 windows in the four quads but I have no real issues with the current method.
    12-30-11 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD