According to this thread the App World prices were supposed to be updated on 8 December to reflect exchange rates but I'm still seeing 1 = $1 on all apps. 5 for Angry Birds, for example, is just a little over my 'impulse purchase' level, and I suspect it is for others too, so RIM and the publishers are probably losing sales because of it. Do publishers get paid more if an app is sold in the UK or do RIM pocket the difference?
    Berrimad likes this.
    12-28-11 02:00 AM
    See my thread over @ http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...roblem-682151/

Watch that thread, I'll update it soon with a link to a quick guide to pay with a different currency.

Answering your question - yes, the developers get more money depending on where the buyer is purchasing from which in my opinion makes no sense... again, I'll explain this all soon.

Edit: posted article @ http://emtunc.org/blog/12/2011/the-f...ther-currency/
    Last edited by emtunc; 12-28-11 at 05:41 AM.
    12-28-11 04:43 AM
    Do publishers get paid more if an app is sold in the UK or do RIM pocket the difference?
    I'd certainly like to know the answer to your last question.

I'm afraid that the 1 = $1 conversion rate has ever been thus, and will probably always be so, but I'd also be interested to know what price is paid by those folks whose currency is worth less than a dollar.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those folks will pay a price based on the official exchange rate rather than simply the same numbers with their local currency sign in front as we do in the UK.

Edit: Interesting post emtunc. Thanks, and good luck.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-28-11 at 04:52 AM. Reason: crossed with later post
    12-28-11 04:48 AM
    I'll move in japan then.
    12-28-11 05:09 AM
    12-28-11 05:40 AM
    Many thanks emtunc, I shall give that a go. Having read the other thread, any cost of living argument goes straight out the window when you see that Austria and Belgium pay 0,75 and Greece pay 0,99. RIM may well even be breaking EU laws by charging different amounts in different EU countries.
    12-28-11 07:17 AM
    See my thread over @ http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...roblem-682151/

Watch that thread, I'll update it soon with a link to a quick guide to pay with a different currency.

Answering your question - yes, the developers get more money depending on where the buyer is purchasing from which in my opinion makes no sense... again, I'll explain this all soon.

Edit: posted article @ The Flaw In BlackBerry App World Pricing – Get BlackBerry App World Apps Cheaper by Paying in Another Currency | emtunc's Blog
    followed your guide but prices are still uk based. i tried to turn off my wifi and back on but nothing?
    12-28-11 02:07 PM
    I had to clear my browser cache and local files for it to work.
    12-28-11 02:25 PM
    just tried that and still no luck! are you using a proxy from hidemyass? if you could pm me the proxy your using id be grateful.

have no idea why it isnt working
    12-28-11 02:44 PM
    Sorry, I cleared the details when I finished so I don't have it. The other thing I did was change the language to US English but I don't know whether that made any difference.
    12-28-11 02:46 PM
    i need to get this working!!
    12-28-11 03:15 PM
    i need to get this working!!
    After setting the proxy and re-connecting to the network, can you visit whatismyip.com and tell me whether the IP you see there is the same as the proxy server IP?

update: also I noticed that even if the prices show in , if you click pay and go up to payment process page, it will be in $.
    Last edited by emtunc; 12-28-11 at 05:29 PM.
    12-28-11 05:23 PM
    Works. Thanks!!
    12-28-11 05:56 PM
    I tried this last night, using an IP address that turned out to be from Hong Kong. Some of the app prices were half that of those in the UK!

I didn't go through with the purchase due to security concerns. Would you have to change your paypal password as well?
    12-28-11 06:06 PM
    I tried this last night, using an IP address that turned out to be from Hong Kong. Some of the app prices were half that of those in the UK!

I didn't go through with the purchase due to security concerns. Would you have to change your paypal password as well?
    Note the security concerns nearer the end of the article

You would not need to change your PayPal password as App World is authorised to make purchases on behalf of App World so your PayPal credentials never touch the proxy server.

I would however, recommend changing your BBID password after making purchases as this is the one you enter and passes through the proxy server... in plain text or in a secure format I am not sure... better safe than sorry.
    SuperAxino and kenneth2008 like this.
    12-28-11 06:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD