Mirrored from Run two stock RIM browsers on your PlayBook; Open Source BlackBerry – OSBB

If there weren't already enough awesome third party PlayBook browsers out there for you (such as Simple Browser, Simple Browser+, Secure Browser, and Android ports such as Dolphin and Maxthon), you can now have another browser on your PlayBook: a second version of RIM's air based Browser.

Air Browser is the browser that RIM included in the most recent Developer Alpha.
    Thanks to some sniffing done by Sacha, you can download AirBrowser directly from RIM here: http://cdn.fs.sl.blackberry.com/fs/q...airBrowser.bar and sideload it onto your PlayBook using DDPB or another sideloading tool.

So there you go, if you wanted yet another web browser on your PlayBook, you can now have it.

Note: AirBrowser cannot easily be uninstalled; be sure you want it before you install it.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 07-27-12 at 12:21 AM.
    KermEd likes this.
    07-27-12 12:19 AM
    Why can't it be easily uninstalled? Does that mean it can't really be uninstalled?
    07-27-12 12:26 AM
    Why can't it be easily uninstalled? Does that mean it can't really be uninstalled?
    No, it means this is how you can uninstall it:
    You can uninstall sys bars (with privilege permanent).

Just remove signing, use a debug token on it and remove the permanent in MANIFEST. Install. Then uninstall.
    07-27-12 12:28 AM
    OK. I installed it. Everything seems to be working OK. I figure that I'll set up one browser so flash and java are turned off for faster page loads and general browsing, while I'll leave them turned on on the other browser when I want to visit sited where I know I'll need them.
    07-27-12 12:44 AM
    So is there any benefit to having this browser over the standard one that comes with the system?
    07-27-12 01:08 AM
    So is there any benefit to having this browser over the standard one that comes with the system?
    Nope. It's the same browser with a different name (afaict).
    07-27-12 01:14 AM
    As SCrid said, thereis no difference between the browsers, other than the name. The main benefit, as I see it and as I said, is that you can run each browser with different settings. Turning off flash and java significantly speeds up webpage loading times. For example, with flash and java turned off, the main page for the Crackberry PB forum fully loads in 2 to 3 seconds. With them turned on, the same page takes 7 to 10 seconds to load. The problem, though, with turning flash and java off is that some content, mainly video, cannot be accessed. So by running two browsers, you can generally surf with flash and java off, and pages will load very quickly. When you want to go to Youtube or some other vid site, then you can use the other browser. You can accomplish the same thing with one browser only, but that requires you to go into settings and reconfigure things, which, in my opinion, is a PITA.
    07-27-12 02:15 AM
    Edit....mispost
    samson47 likes this.
    07-27-12 02:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD