Sorry if it's been answered before, I can't find an answer on here.

1) How do I end an android app? I downloaded and sideloaded a few anndroid apps, they all work fine, but I cannot figure how to quit when I finish. Just quit like normal app, by up swipe and close? All my android apps show on the bottom tray in the adroid player, is that normal?

2) Within android player, is there a option menu? some suggested bottom left swipe, but I do nothing on mine.

Any help appreciated!
    saescott likes this.
    02-24-12 04:15 AM
    Anyone know the answer?
    02-24-12 01:39 PM
    The player itself has no options. A swipe down from the top will show any app specific options. You can choose to have that bar at the bottom show or hide by hitting the little slider on the far right. It looks like the slider for the browser.
    You would close the app by choosing another android app or closing the player.
    clem1604 likes this.
    02-24-12 02:06 PM
    The player itself has no options. A swipe down from the top will show any app specific options. You can choose to have that bar at the bottom show or hide by hitting the little slider on the far right. It looks like the slider for the browser.
    You would close the app by choosing another android app or closing the player.
    Are you sure about closing the player? When I played around with dolphin hd and overdrive I noticed that even after closing the player the apps were still taking a chunk out of my RAM. I had to reboot.
    clem1604 likes this.
    02-24-12 02:18 PM
    02-24-12 02:23 PM
    Are you sure about closing the player? When I played around with dolphin hd and overdrive I noticed that even after closing the player the apps were still taking a chunk out of my RAM. I had to reboot.
    I'm not sure I'm even awake right now.
    There is nothing else we can do to close the apps. Is there?
    02-24-12 02:54 PM
    OP, if you're familiar with installing BAR files, find and install the Android settings.bar file.
    02-24-12 03:07 PM
    All my android apps show on the bottom tray in the adroid player, is that normal?
    I think it shows last 6 android apps that have been run, so it is normal I guess

I'm not sure I'm even awake right now.
    There is nothing else we can do to close the apps. Is there?
    Is that why QNX beats down android???

Anyway, from my experience with few hours sideloading/sideunloading with some apps, I found out that:

1. if the app runs natively, then I can close it as I normally do (swipe up, close).
    2. if the app runs with QNXAndroidPlayer, then swipe down to have the bottom options toolbar, then hit Back (bottom left corner) to exit. (OR open new android app).
    3. some apps has exit button (some games, or File Expert etc...)
    02-24-12 03:08 PM
    OP, if you're familiar with installing BAR files, find and install the Android settings.bar file.
    What's does that do?
    02-24-12 03:09 PM

Anyway, from my experience with few hours sideloading/sideunloading with some apps, I found out that:

1. if the app runs natively, then I can close it as I normally do (swipe up, close).
    2. if the app runs with QNXAndroidPlayer, then swipe down to have the bottom options toolbar, then hit Back (bottom left corner) to exit. (OR open new android app).
    3. some apps has exit button (some games, or File Expert etc...)
    Not quite. with the android OS, when you "back button" out of an app, this does not close it. It places it in a suspended pause state, ready for recall. The Android OS is designed to automate closing of apps in the background as resources are needed for other things. If the OS decides it doesn't have enough for what you're currently doing it will begin to shut down those recently "exited" apps completely to free up more.

Also, those apps that have an "exit" button aren't really doing anything differently than the back-button method. In fact, google has been trying to tell developers to quit using that method for a year now.

The question here is whether the android runtime on QNX also allows the android apps to continue to run in a suspended mode in the background like the android OS does, or whether QNX over rides that behaviour when you swipe-up and press X like you do with regular apps.
    02-24-12 03:16 PM
    Not quite. with the android OS, when you "back button" out of an app, this does not close it. It places it in a suspended pause state, ready for recall. The Android OS is designed to automate closing of apps in the background as resources are needed for other things. If the OS decides it doesn't have enough for what you're currently doing it will begin to shut down those recently "exited" apps completely to free up more.

Also, those apps that have an "exit" button aren't really doing anything differently than the back-button method. In fact, google has been trying to tell developers to quit using that method for a year now.

The question here is whether the android runtime on QNX also allows the android apps to continue to run in a suspended mode in the background like the android OS does, or whether QNX over rides that behaviour when you swipe-up and press X like you do with regular apps.
    Really? I dont know that since i just got familiar with android apps on QNX. Interesting...

Anybody familiar with Android knows if they have app like process manager? If there is such, we just need to sideload it, right?
    02-24-12 03:30 PM
    What's does that do?
    A pretty good bit. You can force close apps, uninstall them, etc.
    02-24-12 03:37 PM
    Where can one find

Settings.bar? I've looked over two lists and don't see it.

Thanks.
    02-24-12 03:44 PM
    . . .The question here is whether the android runtime on QNX also allows the android apps to continue to run in a suspended mode in the background like the android OS does, or whether QNX over rides that behaviour when you swipe-up and press X like you do with regular apps.
    My guess is, yes it can run in a suspended mode. I sideloaded Yahoo Messenger, logged in, then closed the app by swiping up from bottom and closing the window. I still got notifications when I got a message. Only problem was, I couldn't get it to load the message. Might be a wi-fi only thing and I was just bridged. But it did give me the notifications even with the app closed.
    02-24-12 03:57 PM
    I sideload Android Task Killer, not sure how effective it is, but it closes my Android apps.
    02-24-12 04:05 PM
    can't find it either
    02-24-12 04:07 PM
    Where can one find

Settings.bar? I've looked over two lists and don't see it.

Thanks.
    Hmph... I just downloaded it yesterday. I can't find it now, either. Weird. Anyway, here it is. Just delete the .pdf extension. The PlayBook limits the type of files you can select for anything, and the site limits file sizes by type. The only thing that both agreed on was .pdf.
    clem1604 likes this.
    02-24-12 06:15 PM
    Thank you, I may ask bb support for a definite answers, and will download the file or kill task apps but does it mean I still have at least one android app running at all time until reboot.
    On trip right now for a week, loving my pb replacing the laptop.
    02-25-12 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD