The App is awesome, but map sucks. Anyway, It's not o2 interactive fault. Mapquest has good road/street coverage, but SEARCH FOR option really suck. Doesn't recognise Cyrillic letters, gives completely random places and even says not found (but it's town with 50k population and it's present on your f*ckin map, with complete street coverage).
    OSM does not suffer from these issues, but map is not as nice as mapquests'. Many streets are missing and looks like hand-drawing in paint.
    05-06-12 04:34 PM
    The App is awesome, but map sucks. Anyway, It's not o2 interactive fault. Mapquest has good road/street coverage, but SEARCH FOR option really suck. Doesn't recognise Cyrillic letters, gives completely random places and even says not found (but it's town with 50k population and it's present on your f*ckin map, with complete street coverage).
    OSM does not suffer from these issues, but map is not as nice as mapquests'. Many streets are missing and looks like hand-drawing in paint.
    I haven't used the release version yet but during Beta testing I did report on the Search feature on the Map screen. When you first navigate and it stores the Country, State, Town as your default search area. A good idea, however the Town in some countries is actually the Suburb, which narrows the following search by default to only a few square kilometers. Not enough area to find the next address in a different Suburb. Not sure if the change was made but I asked the default search area to be a minimum of the default country's State.

The alternative method is through main directions section, where you can enter multiple addresses, way points etc. This method isnt effected as you manually enter each field (or select from previously used), state, Town, etc.
    05-06-12 05:21 PM
    you guys are going to be rich as eff.
    05-06-12 05:46 PM
    What's the name of the app? And when is coming out?,
    05-07-12 07:56 AM
    It is out now.

Magellan Compass
    Bairdo likes this.
    05-07-12 08:08 AM
    The main thread on this is at
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...leased-721909/

It should have probably been posted under apps and games, but that was my mistake.
    05-07-12 10:59 AM
    Not excited about this at all.

Unless you have offline maps then it is never going to be a decent sat nav...

also you need a data connection so you will have to have your bridge on and drain the battery from your phone if you use it for a few hours..

Osmand is the closest we have to real a satnav and that is as buggy as ...

So the wait continues.
    05-07-12 12:26 PM
    Size? About 5 MB pre-production. I would guess possibly less in the final release, but that remains to be seen.

Maps can take up as little as no space, if you keep an internet connection going and disable caching. Otherwise, as much space as you allow for caching. I allow up to 2 GB (the max allowed). My current total is 357 MB cached, and that's caching pretty much everywhere I travel locally.
    357MB?

My Tom Tom has offline maps for the whole of the UK and fits on a 60GB chip!..
    05-07-12 12:32 PM
    357MB?

60GB is ALOT of space. Of course the whole map of UK will fit. You could probably put a very detailed map of the world and it won't dent 60GB.
    05-07-12 03:03 PM
    357MB?

As the poster after you noted, 60gb could cover much of the world. My Tomtom 920 has NorthAmerica and Western Europe. It fits on either the internal 4gig or maybe 8 gigs with a 4gig card. I don't recall at this time. So, yes, this app would easily store the entire US on a 16gig depending on how efficient the map storage format is.
    05-07-12 06:08 PM
    I already have turn-by-turn that came free on my phone with maps/navigation for about 150 countries (?). Takes up 5GB and it's quite detailed with public transport, 3D maps, dashboard, nearby local shops (works in all countries, unlike Yelp). That includes all the voices for about 40 languages, many of which include street names.

The turn-by-turn on Playbook is a joke in comparison
    05-07-12 06:26 PM

05-12-12 01:47 PM
    60GB is ALOT of space. Of course the whole map of UK will fit. You could probably put a very detailed map of the world and it won't dent 60GB.

sorry i meant 60mb

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    05-12-12 03:18 PM
    I've been playing with the free trial. Seems very sluggish, not able to find some things that should be easy. Not sure if I can justify getting it, especially with the TomTom announcement the other day that should bring a player that has been doing this for years to the Playbook.
    05-12-12 05:01 PM
    The only problem I am running into us a non-specific error message when I try to get directions. I am starting from my gps location and pick another address. I have a good 3g signal and solid bridge connection.
    Any ideas?
    05-21-12 07:27 PM
    played around with free trial, no POI for my part of world, no 3D perpective, ... overal I consider OK, but will I keep my Navigon dedidacted GPS.

Noticed that PB got hot using as GPS turn-by-turn, which makes me wonder if it is a good idea to use it as GPS navigation tool. Has anyone experienced the same problem?
    05-22-12 05:21 AM
    fake
    05-28-12 05:46 PM
    Seems useless and worthless for those that want to use it offline. I tried the cache feature thinking I could cache where I needed to go before hand at least but it just doesn't work that way. It's limited to only 50mb cache as well. It's a waste for 6 bucks unless you tether or have 3g.
    06-04-12 09:08 PM
    Seems useless and worthless for those that want to use it offline. I tried the cache feature thinking I could cache where I needed to go before hand at least but it just doesn't work that way. It's limited to only 50mb cache as well. It's a waste for 6 bucks unless you tether or have 3g.
    06-04-12 09:14 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD