Any chance we can install TuneIn Radio in our Playbooks now?
    02-27-12 07:54 PM
    nope it doesnt work...
    you should use nobex radio its free in the app world and its a natvie pb radio app
    it allows you to listen to any radio station in your country for free but if you want to listen outside your country theres a fee...
    i love it it works great check it out you wont be disappointed
    Free Nobex Radio for BlackBerry PlayBook - Download Nobex Radio for BlackBerry PlayBook - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    raulmantel likes this.
    02-28-12 03:08 AM
    or you can just go to tunein.com and use it thru the browser. works good.
    02-28-12 09:57 AM
    Second for Nobex. I have it on my PB and my phone. Great app and even better is that it's free.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-28-12 09:01 PM
    How did you guys get the premium edition for Nobex? Anytime I click on an international station, I receive a message saying that I need a premium edition. There is a link that opens up App World and then I receive an error message. I wrote to Nobex who were, in all honesty, less than helpful and rather complacent in providing support.

As for TuneIn; dont bother waiting for a Playbook app from them - they have indicated to more than a few people that they are no longer interested in bring one out.

There's a thread on the Winamp official forums petitioning a Winamp app to come in that would provide an app for Shoutcast so maybe something will happen on that end.

Iceberg Radio is also working on a Playbook app but is not sure when it would be ready.

And Digital Imports has said that they have no intention of supporting the Playbook via an app.

That's about all the radio/internet radio companies that I've contacted. Not sure if anyone else is doing anything.
    taylor96 and shawnmobile like this.
    02-28-12 09:30 PM
    or you can just go to tunein.com and use it thru the browser. works good.
    I use the TuneIn app on my Android smartphone all the time and was bummed when I couldn't find it in App World for my PlayBook. But after I saw your comment and used tunein.com with the PB OS2 browser, it was another reminder that apps are not always necessary. Rhapsody and Pandora are additional examples where the browser works (and looks) better than the sideloaded Android app.
    02-28-12 11:20 PM
    The only problem with the TuneIn website is that: (i) there are no options to set a sleep time or a wake timer as there are with an app; and (ii) when you have a long list of presets that you need to scroll through, depending on where you click in the list, you start moving one radio station above/below the other instead of actually scrolling down the list.

The latter isn't that big of a deal. The former, I suppose, could be rectified with a simple app (not sure if one exists) whereby you could set a time that the Playbook will go into suspend mode or shut off and then set a time.
    02-29-12 12:33 AM
    Tunein stated that they made an app for the Playbook. Last year. RIM held it back so they could release it with OS2. Since OS2 is out and theres no app Im guessing they either got fed up with being messed about with RIM or were asked to make some modifications and decided it wasn't worth it. Cant really blame them, if their story is true, and lots of developers have similar stories.
    MTL likes this.
    02-29-12 08:38 AM
    Tunein stated that they made an app for the Playbook. Last year. RIM held it back so they could release it with OS2. Since OS2 is out and theres no app Im guessing they either got fed up with being messed about with RIM or were asked to make some modifications and decided it wasn't worth it. Cant really blame them, if their story is true, and lots of developers have similar stories.
    Maybe after Tunein, "tune in" to the fact that so many PB users are inquiring about it and want it, they will deceid that, it is worth their while to make one available to us.. who knows....
    02-29-12 01:27 PM
    I love tunein radio because you can record, turn the sound down, and play it later like a DVR! None of these other apps do that. I still have it on my 9900, but would also like it on PlayBook.
    WrightWords likes this.
    03-01-12 11:23 PM
    Wrote 'em - again
    03-02-12 05:21 AM
    I just spotted TuneIn on my Playbook App World, only to find that "This item is not supported by your current device profile". Strange.
    07-07-12 04:26 PM
    The only problem with the TuneIn website is that: (i) there are no options to set a sleep time or a wake timer as there are with an app; and (ii) when you have a long list of presets that you need to scroll through, depending on where you click in the list, you start moving one radio station above/below the other instead of actually scrolling down the list.

The latter isn't that big of a deal. The former, I suppose, could be rectified with a simple app (not sure if one exists) whereby you could set a time that the Playbook will go into suspend mode or shut off and then set a time.
    The other issue I find is that the browser does now show what is currently playing on your list of presets. In the App, when you view your presets it shows you what each station is currently playing (at least in iOS). Which is incredibly useful. Plus the interface in the app is just better than the web site. The web site is an ok solution, but the app is superior.

I don't agree that Nobex is an alternative. It requires a monthly subscription fee, which is ridiculous for an internet radio application. On any other platform there are dozens of apps that range from free to $5 with the exact same functionality. Paying a subscription fee is nonsense.

Tunein is one of the apps I miss most on my Playbook for sure. It's a fantastic app.
    07-07-12 05:21 PM
    The other issue I find is that the browser does now show what is currently playing on your list of presets. In the App, when you view your presets it shows you what each station is currently playing (at least in iOS). Which is incredibly useful. Plus the interface in the app is just better than the web site. The web site is an ok solution, but the app is superior.

I don't agree that Nobex is an alternative. It requires a monthly subscription fee, which is ridiculous for an internet radio application. On any other platform there are dozens of apps that range from free to $5 with the exact same functionality. Paying a subscription fee is nonsense.

Tunein is one of the apps I miss most on my Playbook for sure. It's a fantastic app.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I have TuneIN app on my Ipad and it runs circles around the web browser version on the Playbook. The ability to set sleep timer and wake timer alone is worth it. It irks me to no end to see that TuneIN refuses to develop their app for the Playbook. Playbook sounds so much better than my Ipad though.
    07-08-12 10:12 PM
    Couldn't agree with you more. I have TuneIN app on my Ipad and it runs circles around the web browser version on the Playbook. The ability to set sleep timer and wake timer alone is worth it. It irks me to no end to see that TuneIN refuses to develop their app for the Playbook. Playbook sounds so much better than my Ipad though.
    It's nice to find someone else who has used the iOS app. I don't shun the idea of using the browser instead of apps. It's just that when people advise that approach on here and make a blanket statement that it's a 'better' approach, I think in some cases they haven't used the apps available on all platforms. The browser version of Tunein is nice to have, but is not a replacement for the app in any way if you have used the iOS version.
    07-09-12 04:04 AM
    Still, did anybody manage to get TuneIn app installed?
    We need to wait for 2.1 or maybe even 10 in order to have a supported configuration?
    07-09-12 04:38 AM
    Still, did anybody manage to get TuneIn app installed?
    We need to wait for 2.1 or maybe even 10 in order to have a supported configuration?
    My Radio App has no Subscriptions fees or silly jokes like 'cant work on Sunday' click for more details >> link

07-09-12 11:25 AM
    I don't mean any offense because I appreciate anyone working on any type of media apps for Playbook. But your app is not comparable to Tunein. You don't have to buy a different app for different cities for Tunein. You can use the local option, or get tens of thousands of other stations.

Your app fills a cool niche for someone wanting a local radio app, and I know you work hard to fill requests in that regard. But it doesn't fill the void left by the lack of an app like Tunein. It's a different type of application.
    07-09-12 02:02 PM
    I found a sideloaded app for TuneIn; it loads but everytime you want to to listen a radio station it shows an error.
    Have anybody tried it?
    07-10-12 10:10 AM
    I just spotted TuneIn on my Playbook App World, only to find that "This item is not supported by your current device profile". Strange.
    I noticed this as well this afternoon lol I wonder if its compatible with 2.1 maybe? Has anyone running the 2.1 Beta tried to download TuneIN from the App World?

Frustrated with the sideloaded version not working
    07-10-12 02:18 PM
    I noticed this as well this afternoon lol I wonder if its compatible with 2.1 maybe? Has anyone running the 2.1 Beta tried to download TuneIN from the App World?

Frustrated with the sideloaded version not working
    I haven't tried sideloaded on latest 2.1 beta, but I can say I can't find tunein on appworld anywhere.
    I emailed them today and they said "Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue. As we continue to improve our vast selection of products, we are not actively developing a Blackberry Playbook app. We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your continued support of TuneIn!"

Seems they had a version for playbook about a year ago then pulled it for some technical reasons and never re-released. I'm using Nobex at the moment and it seems to be working fairly well.
    08-19-12 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD