Taking a trip 5000 km trip thru the USA in January and I was looking for an app for the Playbook that will do the following:

- Utilize the GPS for mapping/GPS turn by turn routing etc.
    - camera access for placing photos into map with GPS coordinates.
    - have access to hotel accommodations.
    - have access to email for hotel confirmations, etc.
    - have access to sights and entertainment in the areas being visited.
    - have access to the weather for the areas visited.
    - manage expenses for the trip.
    - Manage gas mileage ( not high priority)
    - have access to the the calendar (tracking)
    - social media access(Facebook, Twitter, 4 Square, etc)
    - calculator for currency, tips, etc.
    - ability to document the trip.

This would not be for air travel but could have it. Was thinking more on the ground travel with one's own vehicle.p

I see there are a few apps out there, but haven't really see anything I like.

Will the apps that are made for the phones be ported over to BB10/Playbook? I see Blackberry Travel is out there

If there is something in AppWorld, I must be searching with the wrong words.

Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by PowderJockey; 10-14-12 at 11:11 PM.
    10-14-12 10:53 PM
    Yea - would be great on the PB,..

But - using the BB Phone instead you can get most:

*)BB Travel is my best companion on trips - intercepts incoming confirmations from airline, hotel and car rental, - let me manually edit and override if needed.

*)BB Traffic

*)FourSquare is also a good app to carry - let you discover restaurants and other places reported by users,

*)Yelp ... for all those local things the other apps miss out on

IMHO BlackBerry Travel is one of the best apps there is - it just works, and I would be surprised if it was not available for BB10 upon launch ...
    PowderJockey likes this.
    10-15-12 06:06 AM
    yeah I agree with that. I rely heavily on bb travel for business and personal flights and scheduling. I really hope that bb travel wanders over to bb10. I would love to have it on my pb, but at least I have it on my 9800.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    10-15-12 10:00 AM
    First, I suggest you change that to a 3,000 MILE trip in our antiquated Imperial system! (boy, do I hate buying gasoline up there and watching those wheels fly using liters)

I think your needs will need more than one app.
    Folks seem to like Osmand for gps.
    The web will provide access to a lot of other stuff you mention. The pb can geo-stamp its photos and there may be web services that can map them. Eye-fi cards might be able to help if you use another camera and want to transfer photos to the pb.

I don't know your phone data plan or hotspot wifi sharing - but cross-border trips can get pricy if you use a phone's data versus relying on wifi along the way.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    10-15-12 11:59 AM
    I kind of thought I was shooting for the moon with this App and kind of figured there would be more than one App to do the trick.

We can get pay a flat fee for "x" amount of time for unlimited texting, etc for the phones, but was going to rely on the wifi at the hotels and condos we would be staying in for the other updating.

Is WorldMate for the Android a good fit if converted for the PB? I see this is kind of what BB Travel is.

Edit: what is the difference between Osmand and Nogago Maps?
    Last edited by PowderJockey; 10-15-12 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Additional question
    10-15-12 12:07 PM
    I have made several extended trips using Osmand, Navigation, Magellan, etc. None of them even start to stack up to BB Traffic - even without having visual maps. My last trip I just set Navigation to follow so I could see what was coming up and used BB Traffic on my Bold for voice. I sure hope that BB Traffic is the basis for the new BB10 mapping system. There is no elegant system for the Playbook.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    10-15-12 02:09 PM
    Since you are from Cranbrook you probably don't need to be warned about not blindly following gps maps into the various foothills where forest service and/or county roads may be deadends in Winter. Tragically, this has now happened a few times in Oregon and Calif where the gps routes over low-use roads even in the coast range and folks have been trapped.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    10-15-12 04:59 PM
    Since you are from Cranbrook you probably don't need to be warned about not blindly following gps maps into the various foothills where forest service and/or county roads may be deadends in Winter. Tragically, this has now happened a few times in Oregon and Calif where the gps routes over low-use roads even in the coast range and folks have been trapped.
    Yes heard of this problem before. We will be careful.
    10-15-12 05:22 PM