Just a quick question to the developers on these forums, why is there not that many apps that offer a free trial.
    I have no idea if the app is brilliant or complete junk and have to wait or ask on these forums to see what it's like.

Is a trial hard to implement on playbook apps?.
    06-04-12 06:31 AM
    Agreed,

Would be nice to at least have a 3 day trial where possible.
    I have bought a lot of apps just to find out that they will not do all that I would like it to do, I'm sure that if developers would add in a trial, more of their apps would be sold.
    06-04-12 09:31 AM
    I agree with at least an 1 day trail ! But, the reason the MIGHT don't do it, is that every developer wants to make a cool app, very understandable and easy to use. So you don't have to think about it twice !
    06-04-12 09:43 AM
    Hi twdawson,

As a small developer I did find it a challenge to produce a free trial version of my app. I do have a trial version of my main app now, but there are a couple of challenges with releasing a trial version:

1. Designing the trial app so that it doesn't lead to easy pirating of the app.
    2. Managing the different versions on App World. RIM's documentation is sadly lacking in this area.
    3. Deciding how long the trial should be. My trial is 30 days, but some apps only need a shorter time to get a sense of what it does.

I have seen multiple business models for using free trials. Deciding which model to follow can be a challenge as well. Some of the models include:

* the free trial is exactly the same as the paid version, except time-limited
    * the free trial has a limited subset of features of the paid version ('freemium')
    * the free trial is exactly the same as the paid version, except has ads

My two cents,
    Last edited by squished18; 06-04-12 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Added comment
    06-04-12 09:43 AM
    Hi twdawson,

As a small developer I did find it a challenge to produce a free trial version of my app. I do have a trial version of my main app now, but there are a couple of challenges with releasing a trial version:

2. Managing the different versions on App World. RIM's documentation is sadly lacking in this area.
    3. Deciding how long the trial should be. My trial is 30 days, but some apps only need a shorter time to get a sense of what it does.

I have seen multiple business models for using free trials. Deciding which model to follow can be a challenge as well. Some of the models include:

* the free trial has a limited subset of features of the paid version ('freemium')

My two cents,
    Hi squished18,

I'm sure that it is a challenge trying to work around all the rules and regulations on app world and the worry of the pirating would be hard on any developer.

It is nice as a purchaser of an app. to try a full version for at least a couple of days, that way we can see if it will do what we think it should do, and gives a bit of time to contact the developer to ask for help or to get a question answered.

Just my openion though
    06-04-12 10:17 AM
    I would like to know whether they are android ports or not. They should be labeled to let people know.
    06-04-12 10:52 AM
    As a developer I can also chime in here, I use a 7-day fully functional trial for my apps. Basically, my license key authentication code will (in the absence of a valid key) allow the app to function as long as it was installed less than 7 days ago. This really wasn't hard to implement.

I know that some developers go the route of creating a completely separate build for the trial, however, I don't personally think this is necessary. I would not launch a paid app without a license key protection system, therefore, it is a small amount of work to add the trial code into that. Trials allow my customers to experience my app in full working order before they spend their hard earned money, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Russ.
    sam81, darmarat and anon(4262895) like this.
    06-04-12 12:12 PM
    Hi squished18,

I'm sure that it is a challenge trying to work around all the rules and regulations on app world and the worry of the pirating would be hard on any developer.

It is nice as a purchaser of an app. to try a full version for at least a couple of days, that way we can see if it will do what we think it should do, and gives a bit of time to contact the developer to ask for help or to get a question answered.

Just my openion though
    Yup, I agree with you, which is why I provide a full 30-day trial. I wasn't giving excuses to not provide a free trial, just providing an explanation to non-developers as to the challenges involved.

Cheers,
    06-04-12 12:36 PM
    I agree with the sentiment here about the difficulties associated with trials, but I'll say this:

If you want to try any of my apps, just e-mail me, and I'll happily send you the .BAR. Try it for as long as you like, and buy it whenever you like. Of course, it won't show up in App World, and you won't get notifications of updates. That's usually enough to get people to buy a decent app.

If I don't get your sale, then my app wasn't good enough to get you to purchase. Which means, you weren't going to purchase anyway, so I didn't really lose a sale now did I?

My $0.02.
    06-04-12 12:45 PM
    Trial versions need a little effort, but for a good developer are by no means difficult. There are no facilities provided by the OS, so the dev has to reinvent the wheel. But they make a lot of sense for our users.

For some reason the latest App World has blocked new try & buy apps and updates, claiming try & buy is "depreciated". We're still waiting on RIM for details, are assuming that this is a temporary oversight, and would be shocked if this change is actually on purpose.

From what we're seeing, users want more try & buy apps. Feel free to chime in here if you agree.
    06-04-12 06:54 PM
    This is very interesting. I always loved the idea of trials but I didn't think too much about how trial versions affect a developer. Good post.

Hi twdawson,

My two cents,
    06-04-12 07:04 PM
    If they have blocked this then it's a massive mistake.
    The reason i bought the apps i have are because of a trial, files and folders offered 3 days but to be honest all i need is 24 hours to decide if an app is what i expected it was.
    06-04-12 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD