So i was originally thinking about this in regards to the full touchscreen BB10 devices, but seeing the app suggestion thread i figured it would be pretty useful on the PB as well. (oh and sorry for not posting this in the app suggestion thread, but it seemed a bit cluttered )

So basically i was thinking a virtual trackpad would be pretty sweet when talking about a full touchscreen device. More often then not i find myself clicking links i dont want, or accidentally clicking on an ad cuz my giant thumb is well...giant. Its so hard to be accurate, and i hate having to pinch and zoom every single time. This is particularly frustrating when im trying to click the fullscreen button on flash videos and end up clicking a link instead....then i have to reload the entire thing, and all through my slow, encrypted bridge connection >.>.

If any of you have Doom on your playbooks, you'll notice that you can scroll on the right side of the screen to walk and on the left side to shoot.....so i figure, taking that same basic principle and refining it so that you can control a pointer by using just one small area of the screen as a trackpad can't be too difficult.

Am i completely off my meds, or is something like this actually feasible?

If it is, it would also be freaking awesome when the BB10 devices come out....no one would have to complain about the lack of a 5 button configuration cuz (to quote the old apple commercials) 'there's an app for that'.

thoughts? criticisms?
    Last edited by Knightcrawler; 01-07-12 at 05:15 PM.
    01-07-12 02:59 PM
    I like the idea! Of course, everything is in execution. But I guess if it is designed neatly and this area would sit in one corner (bottom right comes to my mind, but perhaps this is because I am right handed...), it would be quite practical.
    01-07-12 04:23 PM
    At the moment there is no way for one app to control another app like this.
    01-07-12 04:31 PM
    I like the idea! Of course, everything is in execution. But I guess if it is designed neatly and this area would sit in one corner (bottom right comes to my mind, but perhaps this is because I am right handed...), it would be quite practical.
    i was thinking you could enable it anywhere on the screen, by pressing and holding. that would allow ease of use regardless of being left or right handed.....one could place the virtual trackpad where ever was most comfortable.

@innovatology: that sucks....you think this is something rim could implement at the base os level? it cant be entirely impossible right?
    01-07-12 05:24 PM
    Of course it's not impossible, but this sort of facility would probably be part of a larger can of worms set of functions: ability to send keystrokes to other apps (3rd party popup keyboard?), to be able to grab the screen (remote displa?y) etc. And those have security implications - the 3rd party keyboard could, for instance, get your password when you type it.
    01-11-12 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD