Ive recently started to learn app development and Ive written 4 apps in the last 4 days! (It is THAT easy!)

Going with the RIM's slogan tools not toys, I was wondering what tools people would like on their PlayBook. The criteria that I have is that it has to be something that is simple - the apps that I may or may not make will be ugly - (Im just using this as an exercise so I do not intend on making them beautiful but I intend of fulfilling the function.) So send me your ideas - note dont share your ideas if you're afraid of someone stealing it.

Ps Sorry Im not making skype or netflix...

PPS Im looking for 'day' projects... glorified fart apps that will enhance /ease something simple you may do daily that would be easier with technology. An idea would be something like a flashing detour sign (for construction workers to use) <- Im sure this is already out there If not im going to do this one tonight and publish it
    Last edited by ignites; 04-06-12 at 02:52 PM.
    joaosousa likes this.
    04-06-12 01:20 PM
    What are you writing in and what are the app's difficulty?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    04-06-12 01:59 PM
    Are you capable of creating a PPTP VPN?
    04-06-12 02:21 PM
    What are you writing in and what are the app's difficulty?

Im doing simple stuff using HTML5/javascript.. I can move on to more complicated stuff if the need arises. Once again, this is jsut for fun / to learn. If you share your ideas here someone else may pick it up and run with it... Or I may twist it. I just found a fwe things Ive been donig manually can be done into 1 feature 'dumb' apps using html5/javascript combination. Ive worked with Java/C and other languages before (like a few years back.. just picking up where I left off since I have a bit of free time now)
    Chaddface likes this.
    04-06-12 02:40 PM
    Are you capable of creating a PPTP VPN?
    Nope sorry, but I know there are a few apps available that can do something similar (to my knowledge - if its not that / if im wrong im sorry i dont know that much about pptp vpn).
    04-06-12 02:42 PM
    How about a time clock app. I would love to have a nice app that tracks clock in and out times as well as showing total weekly hours per employee with another value to show the total man hours per week amongst all employees.

I'm in the middle of moving a small business into 2012 and they are liking the playbook.
    04-06-12 04:46 PM
    How about a time clock app. I would love to have a nice app that tracks clock in and out times as well as showing total weekly hours per employee with another value to show the total man hours per week amongst all employees.

I'm in the middle of moving a small business into 2012 and they are liking the playbook.
    hmm this sounds easy... do each employeee use their own playbook or do you want them registering all on one playbook?

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook #BeBold 2012
    04-06-12 05:15 PM
    Im doing simple stuff using HTML5/javascript.. I can move on to more complicated stuff if the need arises. Once again, this is jsut for fun / to learn. If you share your ideas here someone else may pick it up and run with it... Or I may twist it. I just found a fwe things Ive been donig manually can be done into 1 feature 'dumb' apps using html5/javascript combination. Ive worked with Java/C and other languages before (like a few years back.. just picking up where I left off since I have a bit of free time now)
    I know how you feel, what little spare time I have I'm usually coding! Also, if you are using HTML and JS, you can try teaching yourself CSS! (To make the app's prettier!)

Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 04-06-12 at 05:34 PM.
    04-06-12 05:31 PM
    How did you got started? i'd love to do it too. Thanks in advance.

Btw, an app like SocialScope for the PlayBook would be awesome, multi-social networks + multi-accounts, prolly not that easy but its something.
    04-06-12 05:48 PM
    I know how you feel, what little spare time I have I'm usually coding! Also, if you are using HTML and JS, you can try teaching yourself CSS! (To make the app's prettier!)
    I do a bite of style sheet (css stuff) but no graphics.. I m awaiting my vendor approval in appworld but you'll see its almost like a webpage from the late 1990s lol

Btw, an app like SocialScope for the PlayBook would be awesome, multi-social networks + multi-accounts, prolly not that easy but its something.
    ya i think i'll need to get premissions for apis and stuff .. bit of a bigger project. I am thinking about twitter though (even though lemma is great) but this is a bit longer project cause id have to read up on their apis
    04-06-12 07:38 PM
    how about a timer app that gives you information about how long the PB has been in standby for/playing games/surfing internet to track battery life better
    04-06-12 08:07 PM
    I do a bite of style sheet (css stuff) but no graphics.. I m awaiting my vendor approval in appworld but you'll see its almost like a webpage from the late 1990s lol

ya i think i'll need to get premissions for apis and stuff .. bit of a bigger project. I am thinking about twitter though (even though lemma is great) but this is a bit longer project cause id have to read up on their apis
    I still don't think you answered his question about how you got started! ;P

04-06-12 08:24 PM
    I still don't think you answered his question about how you got started! ;P
    opps sorry - one question at a time i get distracted too easily jkjk

here you go! https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/api
    iSin likes this.
    04-06-12 09:07 PM
    I also have some idea's for productivity and would love to get started making some apps. How do you get started?
    04-06-12 09:55 PM
    I also have some idea's for productivity and would love to get started making some apps. How do you get started?
    here you go! https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/api
    04-06-12 10:44 PM
    How about an app for timing parts on conferences or shows or events, show total time elapsed, how far is the schedule ahead or behind.

So basically you have a time limit for each major segment, start times etc, and then how long each little part or speech or presentation is, and it's displayed visually. Each of those segments make up a day or even a multi-day program, so you can see where you may need to make up time etc.

It would be very useful for keeping events or weddings on schedule.
    04-06-12 11:05 PM
    How about an app for timing parts on conferences or shows or events, show total time elapsed, how far is the schedule ahead or behind.

So basically you have a time limit for each major segment, start times etc, and then how long each little part or speech or presentation is, and it's displayed visually. Each of those segments make up a day or even a multi-day program, so you can see where you may need to make up time etc.

It would be very useful for keeping events or weddings on schedule.
    I could do this.. this would take me not very long at all hahaha.. I think a lot of people (ie long winded people) would get mad at me though for making such an evil app though
    OttawaGabe likes this.
    04-06-12 11:15 PM
    hmm this sounds easy... do each employeee use their own playbook or do you want them registering all on one playbook?

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook #BeBold 2012
    Right now the plan is to use this just on my playbook. Let everyone log time on it so I can look over it all and write out their weekly checks. But I'm sure they would like a copy to keep track of time for individual projects. Some of the guys collect extra pay on certain projects.
    04-07-12 05:15 PM
    To take the time clock a step further, it could also be used by freelance people who need to bill various hours to specific clients. Add a "notes" field and you have a customized time tracker with a detailed project/job explanation. It could make billing easier, particularly if the data could be exported.
    04-07-12 05:55 PM
    To take the time clock a step further, it could also be used by freelance people who need to bill various hours to specific clients. Add a "notes" field and you have a customized time tracker with a detailed project/job explanation. It could make billing easier, particularly if the data could be exported.
    you are describe the app called Punch In Punch Out
    mellisdesigns and hpjrt like this.
    04-07-12 06:09 PM
    How about a simple flow chart app? Basic text boxes, lines, etc.
    04-08-12 02:07 PM
    A good and tabbed free file manager with archive support... Mostly thinking of a nicely skinned port of 7-zip which seems impossible with html5.
    04-08-12 04:51 PM
    How about a simple flow chart app? Basic text boxes, lines, etc.
    How would u get the data?
    04-08-12 04:54 PM
    A good and tabbed free file manager with archive support... Mostly thinking of a nicely skinned port of 7-zip which seems impossible with html5.
    theres html5 file stuff on the developer resources at rim. I'll look over it and see if i can do somethign like that
    04-08-12 04:55 PM
    How would u get the data?
    I'm thinking basically a white board, add a text box, draw a line, etc. Being able to insert text in the box would be crucial.
    04-08-12 06:27 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD