For those who read any of the magazines published by Time Inc., here is a press release that came out today - reported on Reuters - regarding their plans to release all of the magazines for existing tablets.

Time Inc. Will Launch Tablet Editions for Every Magazine by Year's End | Reuters

Sadly, but not suprisingly given the states of things, the Blackberry Playbook is NOT one of the tablets listed as being supported. Hopefully, the android tablet version of their magazines will work on the Playbook.
    08-03-11 10:09 PM
    Fortune magazine is already available to Playbook. Also Zinio is on the way, so you won't have any problem getting all the magazines including few of these TIMES magazines.
    08-03-11 10:26 PM
    For those who read any of the magazines published by Time Inc., here is a press release that came out today - reported on Reuters - regarding their plans to release all of the magazines for existing tablets.

Time Inc. Will Launch Tablet Editions for Every Magazine by Year's End | Reuters

Sadly, but not suprisingly given the states of things, the Blackberry Playbook is NOT one of the tablets listed as being supported. Hopefully, the android tablet version of their magazines will work on the Playbook.
    I think this is mostly about selling digital subscriptions -- I suppose there's nothing wrong with that. Having said that, I've been accessing the regular web page for Time magazine at Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews - TIME.com or using the PlayBook's News App to grab the RSS feeds from Time (eg top stories, pictures of the week, top politics stories, top science and health stories). I think the PlayBook renders these pages rather well!
    08-03-11 10:36 PM
    Sorry, I probably should have clarified why I posted the initial thread. I guess I was dismayed that yet again the Playbook Tablet is not even being considered, included, or mentioned by some of the more mainstream companies. In all the news stories about this release that I've seen, the Ipad, Xoom, Hp Slate, Galaxy Tab, and others are mentioned specifically has being suported. But the Playbook is left out in the cold. I honestly wish that one day, I will wake up to see a press release from mainstream company include the Playbook.

As for Zinio - I am looking forward to it being released. I check every single day for a new press release from the company since the last couple of press releases have indicated that the releas is imminent That will be very sweet.
    08-03-11 10:46 PM
    Others speak the truth - it's about providing a nice app to read a magazine, which includes a subscription cost.

Not sure this actually matters, considering we can just use their feeds (like for entertainment weekly's RSS feed which can be found here - RSS Headline Feeds | More | Entertainment Weekly - and the like on their other magazine sites).

Besides, its 17 magazines - duplicate information can be found in News360 or any news website you can bookmark FOR FREE, so I can't say I care one way or another if the apps make it to the PB. Not sure ANYONE should.
    08-03-11 10:52 PM
    I just think it is odd because the Playbook has sold more units than the other tablets mentioned for which they are making digital editions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 11:01 PM
    Fortune magazine is already available to Playbook. Also Zinio is on the way, so you won't have any problem getting all the magazines including few of these TIMES magazines.
    Everything is on its way to waterloo, but they take detour to the land of the comingsoon and stay there until fall.
    Use the browser please.
    08-03-11 11:11 PM
    Zinio is on the way? Thats great that everything is on the way.
    08-04-11 12:22 AM
    I find it quite interesting that they are making it available on the Touchpad. I frankly don't think the Touchpad is doing that much better than the PB...
    08-04-11 01:08 AM
    Also Zinio is on the way, so you won't have any problem getting all the magazines including few of these TIMES magazines.
    Back this up with proof, please. I would love to know how you are so confident that Zinio is "on the way."
    08-04-11 06:09 AM
    Maybe the fact that the PB has a full web browser and flash is deterring app developers. Wasn't there some argument that the need for apps was based around the fact that most mobile/tablet OS's were stripped down and lacked flash. So, since the PB has the same browser as a laptop/desktop, maybe developers don't see the point; I mean, I don't have a Time Magazine app on my laptop. Then, there is also that whole RIM factor to the PB...

This is not to say I don't want apps on my PB; actually, I welcome them with open hard drive space.

Last edited by Amy wineBerry; 08-04-11 at 08:18 AM.
    08-04-11 08:13 AM
    Technically Whats deterring developers is the NDK which is yet to be released. So they can't write native apps.
    Commercially its low sales volume and possibly no approach from rim.
    08-04-11 08:18 AM
    But even if they had the requisite NDK, is there any real incentive? Take the im+ app. Everyone was up in arms that there were no IM apps. Then they get a price point of it as it gets closer to actually being released, and PB owners are against it. I guess they'll just stick to the browser for IM.

08-04-11 08:21 AM
    I just think it is odd because the Playbook has sold more units than the other tablets mentioned for which they are making digital editions.

really? the PB is selling more than the ipad and android tablets?

the touchpad maybe, but not the others.

Zinio will be here when? this month, quarter or this year?
    08-04-11 08:31 AM
    The other incentive, other than technical and commercial, must be pity.
    08-04-11 09:39 AM
    Back this up with proof, please. I would love to know how you are so confident that Zinio is "on the way."
    People are getting this from email communication with the company to which said company have indicated that an app is forthcoming. There are a couple of threads on these forums in which you can see Zinio's response given to users.

Also, the last three press releases from Zinio have indicated that "a RIM app to launch imminently"

See http://ru.zinio.com/press/press-rele...aseid=pr148240 and look at paragraph 5, last sentence.

So on the surface it does seem like something is in the works from Zinio.
    OniBerry likes this.
    08-04-11 09:55 AM
    Hm... much like Amazon said almost a year ago that Kindle is coming for the PlayBook. Do we still believe that Kindle is on the way?
    08-04-11 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD