As you may of seen, there was a email campaign to skype ceo to get skype on our playbooks. So far there has been no word or response from him or skype. Thorsten we need skype, YOU need skype as well to sell your playbooks. I know more than a couple people who went other directions than the playbook for lack of core apps. Skype being number one, netflix and hulu were the other apps they were looking for. If RIM can hand out free pb's to dev's, then why can't you hop on a plane with a couple hundred and head over for a lil face time with skype? If verizon can work a deal to get skype on their phones and other manufactures can work deals to get skype on their devices, it's high time RIM did the same. We all know you care about what users here are saying, so I don't feel we need to do a email campaign to your inbox to get your attention. We just need you to pay attention to your users and what we want/need. Impress us Thorsten, show us there really is a change at RIM and the days of ignoring users and dev's with arrogance is gone. Make this happen and you'll win the hearts again of many of us PB users and also gain many as well. This would be a great feather in your cap and a great way to start a long career as head of RIM. Get it done Thorsten! We're cheering for you, now impress us!

PS we are all crossing our fingers that OS2 will give us netflix and hulu. Hope RIM doesn't disappoint.

If anyone agrees, please post it.
    stevepar likes this.
    02-09-12 09:57 PM
    There is a LOT of silence coming out of Skype and RIM on this subject.

Maybe there will be a surprise in OS2.
    BrizzadMan and zethaaron like this.
    02-09-12 10:14 PM
    There is a LOT of silence coming out of Skype and RIM on this subject.

Maybe there will be a surprise in OS2.
    Lets hope!
    02-09-12 10:39 PM
    And if the people at Skype still wont play ball, get us an add on for desktop manager. RIM is a mobile communications company right. So if the most popular wont give your customers what they want then how about you do it.

Personally I only know 2 people who use Skype so this isnt really an issue for me but i bet if there was a pc version of BBM that included video chat it would be a hit, a bit like RIMs solution to MSN & Skype all rolled into one.

Add some front facing cameras to you next gen phones and.........

Just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by musical1806; 02-09-12 at 11:48 PM.
    02-09-12 11:43 PM
    And if the people at Skype still wont play ball, get us an add on for desktop manager. RIM is a mobile communications company right. So if the most popular wont give your customers what they want then how about you do it.

Personally I only know 2 people who use Skype so this isnt really an issue for me but i bet if there was a pc version of BBM that included video chat it would be a hit, a bit like RIMs solution to MSN & Skype all rolled into one.

Add some front facing cameras to you next gen phones and.........

Just my humble opinion.
    While that's a great idea for existing BBM users, it wont satisfy those who need and want skype. Nor will it win any new customers, at least not at first. I believe the old management at RIM was a bit too arrogant to pick up the phone and make a deal. I think Thorsten is smart enough to know better. We all know things need to change at RIM, getting Skype on the PB would be a good sign that they are listening and just as importantly, acting! Get it done RIM! I have total faith that you can! Don't disappoint us Thorsten.
    02-10-12 12:00 AM
    Dont you guys dare spam Throsten... seriously im sure he already has enough to deal with and im CERTAIN hes aware of this skype kuffuffle already thanks!

you guys are turning into 4chan... and its really really sad.
    02-10-12 12:02 AM
    Dont you guys dare spam Throsten... seriously im sure he already has enough to deal with and im CERTAIN hes aware of this skype kuffuffle already thanks!

you guys are turning into 4chan... and its really really sad.
    Read the original post and then take a chill pill please.
    Adhamalghamdi and lma13 like this.
    02-10-12 12:04 AM
    As you may of seen, there was a email campaign to skype ceo to get skype on our playbooks. So far there has been no word or response from him or skype. Thorsten we need skype, YOU need skype as well to sell your playbooks. I know more than a couple people who went other directions than the playbook for lack of core apps. Skype being number one, netflix and hulu were the other apps they were looking for. If RIM can hand out free pb's to dev's, then why can't you hop on a plane with a couple hundred and head over for a lil face time with skype? If verizon can work a deal to get skype on their phones and other manufactures can work deals to get skype on their devices, it's high time RIM did the same. We all know you care about what users here are saying, so I don't feel we need to do a email campaign to your inbox to get your attention. We just need you to pay attention to your users and what we want/need. Impress us Thorsten, show us there really is a change at RIM and the days of ignoring users and dev's with arrogance is gone. Make this happen and you'll win the hearts again of many of us PB users and also gain many as well. This would be a great feather in your cap and a great way to start a long career as head of RIM. Get it done Thorsten! We're cheering for you, now impress us!

PS we are all crossing our fingers that OS2 will give us netflix and hulu. Hope RIM doesn't disappoint.

If anyone agrees, please post it.
    1) If he is going to hop on a plane, he better go meet with Steve Ballmer and take more than a couple hundred. Skype has a boss in Redmond, Washington.
    2) How can RIM disappoint on Netflix or Hulu? They have never promised anything, nor has Netflix or Hulu? People can only disappoint themselves on that front since it is a fantasy of their own creation. One can't blame RIM if they don't deliver something they never promised nor even implied....
    02-10-12 12:12 AM
    Read the original post and then take a chill pill please.
    i read the original post. I m just putting it other there before there any ideas... these ideas jump out pretty fast.
    02-10-12 12:13 AM
    1)
    2) How can RIM disappoint on Netflix or Hulu? They have never promised anything, nor has Netflix or Hulu? People can only disappoint themselves on that front since it is a fantasy of their own creation. One can't blame RIM if they don't deliver something they never promised nor even implied....
    Well first of all as many have reported, there is a netflix folder hidden in the PB somewhere. Also there have been rumors of hulu. I'm getting a lil sick and tired of ppl here blaming the developers and application companies. It's not their fault PB's havent sold well (untill the fire sales). Believe me, if PB's were breaking records and flying off the self, we'd probably have these apps already. We all know the PB's some great hardware, yes there might be some debate on the size, but the OS seems fast and solid. I like it. Now we just need to get some core apps that the vast majority of buyers are looking for and once that is done, I think sales will pick up and so will the apps. We just need RIM to make some things happen as other companies have done.
    WrightWords likes this.
    02-10-12 12:17 AM
    While that's a great idea for existing BBM users, it wont satisfy those who need and want skype. Nor will it win any new customers, at least not at first. I believe the old management at RIM was a bit too arrogant to pick up the phone and make a deal. I think Thorsten is smart enough to know better. We all know things need to change at RIM, getting Skype on the PB would be a good sign that they are listening and just as importantly, acting! Get it done RIM! I have total faith that you can! Don't disappoint us Thorsten.
    True.... but like i said, IF the people at Skype dont play ball. I am aware that it would be a small start BUT it wont be limited to BBM users at all. I know for a fact that if it meant chatting to my son more, my mother and aunt would both install a pc program if i suggested it. This would introduce BB to more potential users. also bare in mind even Skype had to start somewhere.

For those that REALLY want it good luck as we all will benefit from Skype for PB
    02-10-12 04:06 AM
    Steve Ballmer cant even get skype on to windows phone or xbox yet, so don't hold your breath for a playbook version.
    02-10-12 04:19 AM
    Steve Ballmer cant even get skype on to windows phone or xbox yet, so don't hold your breath for a playbook version.
    Interesting, I had skype on my HTC touch years ago, which was a windows phone.

I personally blame the arrogance of RIM's former management. They thought they were too good to lobby dev's for their devices and treated them like crap for a number of years. That is all changing now and has been even before Thorsten took over, a bit late but it is changing. I really believe Thorsten can get the job done. We are not asking for a miracle here, we are only asking RIM to do what others have done to get skype on their devices.
    02-10-12 04:33 AM
    What about Google Voice - all we need is the voice/chat plugin - and we can start calling ...
    02-10-12 09:26 AM
    I have skype on my iphone 4 and it is a very handy thing for phone calls when you're away from your service provider or in a place where there is no cell coverage....I use it for phone calls only and it is great. I was all over the Caanadain arctic on two separate trips last year and most hotels (using the word loosely) have good strong wireless internet and my iphone/skype worked flawlessly. Infact some people were astounded to see a cell phone in use - I told one person it was the new iphone with a built in sat phone - and he bought it. When I'm in the USA having skype on the iphone saves a lot of money. Someone can shoot me an email and i call them back. I would like skype on my pb......as I would like to see bb clear up this error 10000 crap so I can purchase apps.
    patpatiar likes this.
    02-10-12 10:05 AM
    I would just like to point out as the one who organized that Skype campaign, there was an entire other thread about how man emails were sent, and the only reason I'm just emailing Skype now is because honestly, even if we convinced them, they probably won't tell us. Also, if I'd emailed any sooner than today or tomorrow they probably would have just deleted it, still might, but there's a chance they'll actually respond since the email campaign is over. There was definitely not "no word" from me. :P
    02-10-12 06:13 PM
    Like it or not Skype has become a mainstream app. Most people now travel to some extent out of country and into Roaming area's.
    Usage on vacation is huge. I spend the winter in Mexico and all the gringos use Skype, mostly on laptops and iPads. I use my laptop because of course my lovely Playbook does'nt have it.
    zethaaron likes this.
    02-10-12 10:00 PM
    I don't think skype will be available for OS 2 .
    No skype
    No viber
    No whatsApp
    No native BBM

WTF !
    02-11-12 03:15 AM
    Well, I've installed Ver 2.0 and my error 10000 problem did not go away. I have had this thing 3 months now and have not been able to purchase a single app. I have been patient with Support, had several tickets put into the system, then am ignored by support in the hope i will go away then they finally send me another email saying the problem must have been corrected and they close off the support ticket as "fixed". My emails to them when they try to close the ticked are ignored. The problem is not fixed and I have been requesting a replacement unit or a refund......so far no luck. And I was silly enough to purchase the extended warrenty.
    02-24-12 06:00 PM
    Sure there are a few things i like about the new os2. The facts remain, no skype, netflix, hulu or sling make it nothing but a second rate web browsing device. I say that only because its so much nicer to browse and read on a ten inch tablet. And no i dont want a apple of droid device, i want a blackberry device that does it all and is easy on the eyes.
    02-24-12 09:16 PM
    You can believe that Skype is coming to WP and XBox. Sooner rather than later.
    02-24-12 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD