Especially while watching videos, can we just hold the user interface somehow? When my son is watching a video, I don't want him to tap anything.
    04-13-12 04:40 PM
    Nope, no such feature exists I'm afraid.
    04-13-12 04:43 PM
    That's terrible. There is a power button on it, right? Maybe we can develop a small app that disables touch interface and leaves only power button or volume rocker active. Or disables until you plug a USB.. something like that. How difficult would that be? Just a line of code.

Run
    Disable touchscreen
    Enable touchscreen if...
    End

?
    04-13-12 04:48 PM
    Apps don't work like that. For a start they have limited control over hardware, and secondly they can't generally act "in" other apps (they can be running in the background, but not actually having any real influence on the current app etc.). Sadly it is not possible unless RIM decide to add the feature in a future update.
    04-13-12 05:38 PM
    Actually, it's not a bad idea. Unfortunately, rim has not made access to those kinds of services available to programmers.
    04-13-12 05:58 PM
    I share the need for that but I think it would only be useful for children and while watching video. An adult can refrain from touching things.
    04-13-12 06:07 PM
    Certainly, that's the main purpose.
    I will be posting in developer forums to see if it will get me any feedback. I doubt it, but still.
    Another use would be when PB is used for displaying information or looping video, sort of like a monitor usage. It could be installed in a way to hide access to buttons yet you won't have to put the screen behind a glass.
    04-13-12 06:49 PM
    it would be awsome if they put it in as an option when pressing the battery icon, and then a bezel to bezel swipe to unhold it!
    04-13-12 07:05 PM
    The incarcer app can do this on jb ios devices.
    Dont know how this helps the discussion though.
    04-13-12 07:13 PM
    I would hope for RIM to give access to OS integration for Developers.. This is usually annoying with touch specially when you load something on the screen and then pass the device on to someone.. It's always touched and the screen changes into something else.. Image the infinite loop it would go into lol.. you set the zoomed image.. pass it.. its touched and moved.. pass it back.. repeat process..

The neatest would be to have the idle bottom right bezel gesture to result in screen lock or freeze or hold.. that would be amazing.. just like the keyboard.. tiny diagonal swipe to lock.. swipe back to unlock..
    04-14-12 12:26 AM
    One reason RIM hasn't added certain niceties like this is probably their strong focus on security.

In this case, imagine what a developer could do with an app which could disable all bezel swipes. It acts normally for a while, but then fakes a password dialog. It gets the user to enter his/her password and clears the dialog away, sending the device your password.

You could protect against this in various ways but then you have to add another app permission, carefully analyze all the scenarios and use cases, and generally not jump into things too quickly. The under-six market is also probably not their focus right now...
    04-14-12 12:38 AM
    Just turn off showcase mode (switch it to paused). This is in the general section of the main pulldown options menu. Then when you swipe up that app is paused. Works for videos at least. Doesn't seem to work for some games though. It paused tetris, but not angry birds.

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com.
    04-14-12 06:52 AM
    One reason RIM hasn't added certain niceties like this is probably their strong focus on security.

In this case, imagine what a developer could do with an app which could disable all bezel swipes. It acts normally for a while, but then fakes a password dialog. It gets the user to enter his/her password and clears the dialog away, sending the device your password.

You could protect against this in various ways but then you have to add another app permission, carefully analyze all the scenarios and use cases, and generally not jump into things too quickly. The under-six market is also probably not their focus right now...
    Although I agree that security may be their focus but for years they have allowed such background apps on their very secure (or not) phones. The user, of course, can chose not to load such programs.
    04-14-12 09:39 AM
    F2, I don't know why you're bringing "background apps" into the picture, but I'd merely point out that yes, they've been doing stuff like this for years on a very mature OS.

I'm not saying they won't do it with BB10, just that it's very soon to expect them to have implemented every single such feature that was available on the old platform.

I also suspect they've learned from the old platform a few lessons they feel they need to apply to the new one. For example, the massive number of permissions available on the old one means most users simply click "grant permission" to any dialog that appears, without thinking. That means they're not really being protected (especially with side-loaded apps).

I would guess that part of the reason we still have such a limited number of permissions available (as developers) is that RIM plans to improve this area by simplifying, attempting to make it more likely users will actually understand and sometimes deny permissions when they don't appear to be required by an app. I could be wrong about that... maybe they're just slow.
    04-14-12 09:44 AM
    I share the need for that but I think it would only be useful for children and while watching video. An adult can refrain from touching things.
    Meant as somewhat of a joke, I find that I actually swipe down the title bar and other gestures while watching videos. It's just so much fine to play with the "PlayBook", sometimes just can't resist.
    04-14-12 09:47 AM
    F2, I don't know why you're bringing "background apps" into the picture, but I'd merely point out that yes, they've been doing stuff like this for years on a very mature OS.

I'm not saying they won't do it with BB10, just that it's very soon to expect them to have implemented every single such feature that was available on the old platform.

I also suspect they've learned from the old platform a few lessons they feel they need to apply to the new one. For example, the massive number of permissions available on the old one means most users simply click "grant permission" to any dialog that appears, without thinking. That means they're not really being protected (especially with side-loaded apps).

I would guess that part of the reason we still have such a limited number of permissions available (as developers) is that RIM plans to improve this area by simplifying, attempting to make it more likely users will actually understand and sometimes deny permissions when they don't appear to be required by an app. I could be wrong about that... maybe they're just slow.
    Having a bbphone has actually had the opposite effect. I resent the very limited permissions. As I have indicated in some other threads, Zinio has ONE permission. Grant them access to Personal Info which is very broad. They are entitled to locate the tablet and any other info that they want - my contacts? My email? My browsing habits? Under the permission it could be any of those things. So, I do understand that background apps could do lots of things but, again, as an adult, I should be free to make some decisions but give me more control of those decisions.

If rim does need time, fine but some of their actions, Zinio can't provide "adult" content, the possible limitation of sideloading, stuff like that - a bit too big brother. On my computer, I love having a macro program (that's how I quickly post Support numbers for rim, how to reboot and how to debrick). I would like something similar on the pb. Obviously, that may take time but I would like it nonetheless. I like Shortcutme on the bbphone.

I shall wait but that does not meant I won't occasionally support the inclusion of background apps when it seems appropriate.
    04-14-12 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD