Thinking about getting my wife a Playbook, she has a Blackberry and I would also like it to be used for our 17 month old. Some basic learning apps or story book type apps that my wife can use interactively with our daughter. I am not going to using this as a toy to just hand over to her, but hopefully something my wife can use with her.

I know the ipad has tons of kids apps and kids learning apps, just not sure about the Playbook.

Would love to take advantage of the direct from RIM sale pricing, 199 much better than 499 for ipad. Not too mention ipad is terrible for web browsing and Playbook is very good.

Thanks
    11-28-11 10:39 PM
    they have a couple of kids app not as many as the ipad of course, but once the official 2.0 is out to the public in February you ll be able to download Android apps which adds about 300k more to the list.
    you can go to BlackBerry App World - Free BlackBerry Apps - Official Store
    check out the available apps.
    Im happy with my decision of the playbook over the ipad2. plus I saved $300 lol
    11-28-11 11:13 PM
    Tons of kids apps.

Painting / Coloring apps.
    TVOkids games
    memory games
    some spot-the-difference type games (Patty and the Candy Party, and Patty - Easter is on its way)
    Life (the board game)

..... maybe some parents will chime in. Unfortunately, there is no "kids'" section on app world.
    11-29-11 01:14 AM
    I have daughters 4 and 6. I'm a little cautious about immersing them in electronics but have found a lot of content for them on my PB.

There are a lot of coloring apps that they love. My 4-year-old probably spends most of her time on it watching stories. I say watching because there are photos like picture books and you can choose to either read to them or encourage them to read, or you can have the narrator read the story. Lots of these books to choose from. Other stories like The Little Bun have animated graphics while you read the story.

Another favorite of mine is the various puzzles that they have to work through. The best ones require the kids to figure out what needs to be done, then figure out how to do it. Click Tribe is excellent. Sliding puzzle is another good one. And there are all kinds of math and spelling apps that are cleverly disguised as games to the little ones. And of course memory challenges.

I try to stay away from simple entertainment if it doesn't stimulate learning, but let them have at air hockey or bubble birds occassionally. I'm very happy with the number and variety of apps for kids. Before I let them touch it I made sure I had my PB in it's Otterbox, though!
    KermEd likes this.
    11-29-11 02:06 PM
    my 2 girls have a great time on my ipod touch,in fact i had to get 2 so they wouldnt fight over it haha,i have some great memory learning games and some coloring and drawing apps as well.they are all free,they also have infant apps and todler apps,i hope their will be similar apps available for the pb when os2 is ready
    11-29-11 08:23 PM
    There's a series of apps called "the land of me"' that I'd recommend for this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-11 10:40 AM
    It's small, it's almost all touch-based, the swipe-action OS is easy to use, great screen and sound...easy video recording, easy camera settings, easy music player...the pb is kid friendly

drawing and painting apps, games, books, puzzles...get the pb while it's on sale
    11-30-11 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD