Is there an app that I can use as a basic password manager AND automatically fill in user names and passwords when requested by other apps or Web sites. Tired of typing in my very long email address.
    05-21-12 10:47 PM
    For which device? This is for the PB (my bad).
    Last edited by pittster; 05-21-12 at 11:14 PM.
    05-21-12 11:12 PM
    JerBru, there's no app, and no way to make one. You might check if one of the alternative browsers (Secure Browser or Simple Browser) supports that feature.

We're expecting an upgraded browser at some point (with 2.1?) and perhaps that will finally have some improvements in those areas.
    05-22-12 08:13 AM
    JerBru, there's no app, and no way to make one. You might check if one of the alternative browsers (Secure Browser or Simple Browser) supports that feature.

We're expecting an upgraded browser at some point (with 2.1?) and perhaps that will finally have some improvements in those areas.
    What about an auto-fill text utility? Several such utilities exist for our BB phones, but is it possible to make one for the Playbook? I would like to see a utility that could ideally be added to the context menu of a text entry box. Finger and hover on any text entry box, select Auto-fill, choose one of your pre-configured text strings.
    05-22-12 09:41 AM
    Is there an app that I can use as a basic password manager AND automatically fill in user names and passwords when requested by other apps or Web sites. Tired of typing in my very long email address.
    I feel your pain!. As much as I love my Playbook the "1" pet peeve I have with it is the lack of a good form filler/password manager. I use Lastpass on my computers and it works beautifully. I understand that it's been ported to Android and I know people have tried to convert the .bar file to the Playbook with no success. I've even exchanged emails with Lastpass about them developing an app for the Playbook and their response has been that they have no intention of developing for the Playbook now or in the future..(ouch!).

This has to be addressed at some point?. Hopefully in OS 2.1?

@peter9477 - I don't understand your comment.."and no way to make one"..?. No dev could now make one natively or is everyone waiting for BB10 on the Playbook to make it easier to develop native apps?.
    Last edited by oobergeek; 05-22-12 at 10:35 AM.
    05-22-12 10:25 AM
    no api's exist for external apps to do it...
    05-22-12 11:04 AM
    Thanks for the comments.
    Keep hoping.
    Does not have to be super secure.
    05-29-12 09:03 PM
    Thanks for the comments.
    Keep hoping.
    Does not have to be super secure.
    then use a notepad app or a spreadsheet :P - ya no solutions for now because app run in their own window and cant access each other.
    05-29-12 10:02 PM
    What about an auto-fill text utility? Several such utilities exist for our BB phones, but is it possible to make one for the Playbook? I would like to see a utility that could ideally be added to the context menu of a text entry box. Finger and hover on any text entry box, select Auto-fill, choose one of your pre-configured text strings.
    @peter9477 - I don't understand your comment.."and no way to make one"..?. No dev could now make one natively or is everyone waiting for BB10 on the Playbook to make it easier to develop native apps?.
    No, an auto-fill text utility could not be created. No app can interfere with the operation of another app, no way, no how, currently. It's basically impossible with the QNX OS the way they've structured things, aside from one of two approaches:

1. an explicit API to allow it... which does NOT exist, and may well not exist at the time of the initial BB10 launch.

2. a hack... which if it existed (and no one has stumbled over one and publicized it) would probably be shut down by RIM in the next update as it would point to a security risk due to a bug in the OS somewhere.

So until RIM chooses to support such a thing, it basically can't happen. I'd say maybe next year, once BB10 is out and they're into the third update or so...
    05-29-12 10:35 PM
    No, an auto-fill text utility could not be created. No app can interfere with the operation of another app, no way, no how, currently. It's basically impossible with the QNX OS the way they've structured things, aside from one of two approaches:

1. an explicit API to allow it... which does NOT exist, and may well not exist at the time of the initial BB10 launch.

2. a hack... which if it existed (and no one has stumbled over one and publicized it) would probably be shut down by RIM in the next update as it would point to a security risk due to a bug in the OS somewhere.

So until RIM chooses to support such a thing, it basically can't happen. I'd say maybe next year, once BB10 is out and they're into the third update or so...
    I have to say this is more than a bit disappointing. I realize that rim is reinventing itself but does it have to reinvent the wheel at the same time. I can think of a series of apps I have my my phone that interact or provide information as background tasks. If it really is going to take another year or more for them to get these things operating on their NEWEST, GRANDEST phone OS, then they will be forcing users to lose a lot of power and ability. Obviously, they won't be forcing anybody but they may be putting them seriously off the platform. Just one person's opinion.
    05-29-12 11:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD