Under the *Thank You Gift* section in AppWorld on the Playbook, there are four apps:
    1. Birthday Calendar for Facebook (listed as $1.99)
    2. Spell Checker for Playbook (listed as $0.99)
    3. Checklist HD for Blackberry (listed as $1.99)
    4. Translator for Blackberry Playbook (listed as $0.99)

Don't see the same type "FREE" tagging on them as on DriveSafe.ly in AppWorld on the phone.

Maybe we just get a discounted price on some apps?!
    Last edited by MLE724; 10-19-11 at 07:15 AM.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-19-11 07:13 AM
    Wonderingthe same thing myself! Want the Spell Checker, but since I feel spell check should be a basic addition to every OS, I'm not willing to pay for it.
    10-19-11 08:03 AM
    If that is someone's idea of a sick joke, I'm not laughing. Most of us were expecting at least something yesterday in the way of a date, feature list, walkthru, something. Most would agree that some form of spell check should have been there.

To put a spell checker in a "Thank You" section of the PlayBook app world and charging for it is rubbing salt on the wound.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 08:07 AM
    PlayBook service was not interrupted. The free give away has nothing to do with the Playbook. Will not be much for any handset that runs OS7 either...LoL
    10-19-11 08:09 AM
    Where is the thank you section in the Playbook Appworld?
    10-19-11 09:09 AM
    Where is the thank you section in the Playbook Appworld?

There isn't one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-19-11 09:16 AM
    PlayBook service was not interrupted. The free give away has nothing to do with the Playbook. Will not be much for any handset that runs OS7 either...LoL
    Really? You were able to send and receive email on your PB while your BB service was down?
    10-19-11 09:29 AM
    Under "Apps", the first category shown.
    Last edited by MLE724; 10-19-11 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added screenshots
    10-19-11 09:33 AM
    Really? You were able to send and receive email on your PB while your BB service was down?
    No problem with my playbook during service interruption, gmail and hotmail was working good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 09:36 AM
    Yes, if you used the tethered data rather than bis and used a web interface.

Not to get into the middle of the debate, but if you are doing mission critical things on your phone, you should at least have a backup plan if the phone has a problem.

For example:

Have cell phone numbers and emails of the BBM contacts and either call them or text them. I realize international texting may cost more than BBM and not offer all the features.

For the email, be prepared to have to access it some other way than on the phone, even if it means using a laptop or PlayBook and or working out of the office or home. Tethering would still have worked to a Playbook or laptop.
    10-19-11 09:39 AM
    Under "Apps", the first category shown.
    Not showing here in Canada yet.
    10-19-11 09:41 AM

Really? I had no issues with my PB during the outage.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-19-11 10:00 AM
    ok, im gonna say this now, and sure, if im wrong i`ll happily take it back.

ANY developer can place their apps in there, so its devs putting them in there realising they`ll gain `app presence` as people will be looking at it.

i just looked on appworld to prove this, and i could easily place my PaperPlane app into that category should i wish, so this is what i personally think is happening. like i say, if im wrong then i`ll happily appologise, but as i can do it also, i think thats whats going on here.
    10-19-11 10:02 AM
    my PlayBook worked jus fine. i know what your trying to say, that because your bridged BB wasnt working therefore your BB Bridge apps werent connectiong to the network. but thats like saying `my wifi`s down, they should pay my mortgage` its jus not gonna happen like that.
    10-19-11 10:04 AM
    Rob et. al. the point isn't whether or not there were backup plans in place. RIM is offing this as a way of making up for users who could not use their devices. As such while the BB system was down email on the PB on the road wasn't possible. There are MANY ways to cope with this. But it doesn't change the fact that opening my PB and typing out an email while on the road and not within a wifi signal wasn't possible.
    Zwickliffe likes this.
    10-19-11 10:48 AM
    ok, im gonna say this now, and sure, if im wrong i`ll happily take it back.

ANY developer can place their apps in there, so its devs putting them in there realising they`ll gain `app presence` as people will be looking at it.

i just looked on appworld to prove this, and i could easily place my PaperPlane app into that category should i wish, so this is what i personally think is happening. like i say, if im wrong then i`ll happily appologise, but as i can do it also, i think thats whats going on here.
    I think you are right. It is possible though, that the devs may have outsmarted themselves. The "gifts" category does not appear in my PB App World and searching for the apps listed in the op does not find them. (I am in Canada and I am using the beta so perhaps this makes a difference.)
    10-19-11 11:05 AM
    I think you are right. It is possible though, that the devs may have outsmarted themselves. The "gifts" category does not appear in my PB App World and searching for the apps listed in the op does not find them. (I am in Canada and I am using the beta so perhaps this makes a difference.)
    I am in the US. The "gifts" category doesn't show up for me and I can't find any of these apps either. Why could some people in the US see this, but not me?
    10-19-11 11:37 AM
    It appears that it may have been a bogus category post by a developer as mentioned by one of the other members. Glad I took the screenshots, would have been getting blasted for sure.
    10-19-11 12:37 PM
    It appears that it may have been a bogus category post by a developer as mentioned by one of the other members. Glad I took the screenshots, would have been getting blasted for sure.
    i saw it on mine too, but now gone. those that step out of line have ben dealt with
    10-19-11 12:38 PM
    Rob et. al. the point isn't whether or not there were backup plans in place. RIM is offing this as a way of making up for users who could not use their devices. As such while the BB system was down email on the PB on the road wasn't possible. There are MANY ways to cope with this. But it doesn't change the fact that opening my PB and typing out an email while on the road and not within a wifi signal wasn't possible.
    Man, Some people just like to complain, If you are using bridge you obiously have a blackbery and you are getting free apps for it to compensate you, that's the thank you gift they are offering and you can take it or leave it... it's not like you are not getting anything, I would like to be compensated with a Ferrary but is not going to happen...

The Playbook in bridge mode is just a front end interface for the emails in the blackbery, what you are suggesting is like saying that you have your playbook connected to your TV and use it with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to answer emails through bridge while at home, so, where are my free apps for my TV, Keyboard and Mouse????

You can never please everyone, it's like when Opra gave free cars to everyone in the audience and some people complained that it caused them to pay taxes on it...
    batboris and OMGitworks like this.
    10-19-11 12:55 PM
    People feel entitled...
    10-19-11 01:05 PM
    Just got an urgent notice e-mail from RIM saying that the "Thank You Gift" category is restricted and reserved for use by RIM only.
    Looks like some devs dumped their apps into the category on their own. Sneaky way to get some undeserved attention. Hope it backfires for them.
    10-19-11 01:33 PM
    Its been removed I think I don't see it, I am in california.
    10-19-11 01:37 PM
    Its been removed I think I don't see it, I am in california.
    nope has been removed, heres the appworld email in its entirety

Dear Vendor:

We have added a new category in BlackBerry App World entitled '* Thank You Gift *'. This category is reserved for use by RIM only.

If you put an app in this category, whether intentionally or not, we will deny it until you revert the category back. Reapproving the app after you revert the category may take upwards of one week to complete.

Thank you,

The BlackBerry App World Team
    as you`ll notice from the bit i bolded, those apps dont show even when you search for them now. so yes @jetstreamblue it has backfired on them lol
    Lumute likes this.
    10-19-11 03:03 PM
    I just checked and all I can see here in Canada is 'Amsterdam Memory Challenge" for $0.99
    10-19-11 09:01 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD