I notice when there are no links in the feed window, there isn't an option (or I can't find it) to go straight to the feed web page. Could you add that functionality! Hands down for how I use it, your reader is tops!

The Hankster
    05-02-11 03:44 PM
    I notice when there are no links in the feed window, there isn't an option (or I can't find it) to go straight to the feed web page. Could you add that functionality!
    This feature will be in v1.0.7. I've submitted this update to RIM for approval. Unfortunately the approval process can take a while sometimes.
    jeannie919 and sayg like this.
    05-02-11 11:51 PM
    This feature will be in v1.0.7. I've submitted this update to RIM for approval. Unfortunately the approval process can take a while sometimes.
    Saweet! That's the only thing that I can see is missing from this app right now, thanks!
    05-03-11 07:30 AM
    I now declare the app perfect! Thanks GeeReaderDev!

05-03-11 07:40 AM
    Firstly, thank you so much for the app, navigating the feeds is much, MUCH nicer then trying to use reader in the browser, this is a very needed app!

I am having a problem with the popup window though. When I open a story, I am unable to close the window, clicking the 'X' does nothing. The other odd behavior is when I click on the title bar, all text disappears from the popup window. Does anyone else experience these issues?
    Last edited by stealyourface23; 05-03-11 at 10:07 PM.
    05-03-11 10:04 PM
    It's a great launch app, very nicely put together, fast and easy on the eyes. My main complaint was I can't get to the feeds themselves or the links, sometimes, as its hit or miss as to whether the link will open. Great to here its on the upgrade change log. I'd also like to be able to share easily, as I can from my Torch reader.

Some of the "bugs" are really the crankiness of my google reader (which imported easily). It's funny, I haven't had problems with gee reader but couldn't get Feedwheel to work at all.

I hope RIM steps up its staffing for PB app world review. It's git to be a bear dealing with all of these new, often copycat apps, many of which lack basic functionality. But when somebody gets it right (like with gee reader) you can see that platform is going to be great.
    05-03-11 11:23 PM
    I am having a problem with the popup window though. When I open a story, I am unable to close the window, clicking the 'X' does nothing. The other odd behavior is when I click on the title bar, all text disappears from the popup window. Does anyone else experience these issues?
    I suspect you may have an older version of the app. The version number is displayed in the splash screen at top right or bottom right (depending on the version) of the splash screen. Make sure you're running ver 1.0.6 of the app. You might need to just refresh your AppWorld catalogue.
    05-03-11 11:58 PM
    . Great to here its on the upgrade change log. I'd also like to be able to share easily, as I can from my Torch reader.

I hope RIM steps up its staffing for PB app world review. It's git to be a bear dealing with all of these new, often copycat apps, many of which lack basic functionality. But when somebody gets it right (like with gee reader) you can see that platform is going to be great.
    I plan to continuously develop GeeReader over the next few months. Sharing via Email and Twitter are definitely on the todo list.

Apparently RIM is in the process of automating some of the release testing and approval processes. I hope this happens soon.
    05-04-11 12:10 AM
    So glad to hear you will continue to develop. I think from this point on you will simply be putting the finishing touches on a great app. Thanks again for you work on the application!

The Hankster
    05-04-11 06:16 AM
    Yep, I was not on the latest version, works great now, thanks!

I might be missing something, but is there a way to open the original story (like when clicking on the headline in the reader web app)
    05-04-11 07:38 AM
    Yep, I was not on the latest version, works great now, thanks!

I might be missing something, but is there a way to open the original story (like when clicking on the headline in the reader web app)
    Glad its working for you now. Unfortunately there's no way to open the original article yet. This feature is included in v1.0.7 which has been submitted to RIM for approval.
    (I'm kicking myself for leaving this out of the original version....)
    05-04-11 07:42 AM
    Awesome program! Keep up the good work!
    05-04-11 09:50 AM
    Moved to PB Apps & Games
    05-04-11 09:52 AM
    Glad its working for you now. Unfortunately there's no way to open the original article yet. This feature is included in v1.0.7 which has been submitted to RIM for approval.
    (I'm kicking myself for leaving this out of the original version....)
    having some issues with the new version. getting green ring of death and no posts. first, i restarted. nothing. deleted and reinstalled next. nothing. now restarting again, will update after restart.

UPDATE: delete, reinstall and restart appears to have worked.
    Last edited by Bluemax413; 05-06-11 at 09:10 AM.
    05-06-11 08:49 AM
    UPDATE: delete, reinstall and restart appears to have worked.
    Great!! I'm glad its working for you now
    Wolfgan likes this.
    05-06-11 10:17 AM
    anyone know how to get to the www version of an article? also, to import your feeds from igoogle, just go the home page of reader and it will import for you
    05-06-11 06:19 PM
    anyone know how to get to the www version of an article? also, to import your feeds from igoogle, just go the home page of reader and it will import for you
    click on the title if you have version 1.07
    heli_fixr and GeeReaderDev like this.
    05-06-11 06:21 PM
    Thanks so much for making GeeReader available! It is an awesome app and I'm just starting to play around with it and discovering how powerful it really is..

I have one minor feature request for your consideration. I have lots of feeds in my feed list and scrolling up and down the list on the left can be a hassle. Would you consider allow the user to "close" or "collapse" the folders that you've organized your feeds into, kind of like how you can on the web interface? That would make it easier for me to quickly jump between the different categories of feeds I've created without having to scroll up and down through the whole list of feeds..

Hope that makes sense..

Thanks for your consideration!
    05-07-11 09:13 AM
    @Mojoski I'm happy to hear that you are finding GeeReader useful.
    I have received quite a few requests to make the folders collapsible. I'll definitely add this at some point.
    05-07-11 12:32 PM
    I love this app as well, although I think there are some small UI changes (specifically with how the app deals with the reading pane) you could make to truly make this an awesome RSS reader:

1) When you click on a feed to get the pop-up reading pane, you don't need to keep gesture support live for the background. For example, when I click on a heading and the pane comes up, swipe-scrolling still affects the list of feeds behind it. To me at least this is kind of distracting, and you can sometimes lose your place on the list if allowed to scroll in the background.

2) Why even have two sizes of reading panes? Make the reading pane automatically maximize to fill the screen when you click a headline, but keep the scrolling boxes at the bottom below that. Perhaps you could add an 'Up' and 'Down' or arrow buttons of the same in the bottom bar that hides and shows the scrolling headline boxes if the extra space is really needed in the full view?

3) In the reading pane, make the top bar 5-10 pixels taller and the one just below it that much shorter. I think this would really help people with bigger hands. I found myself tapping the screen several times before it would maximize/close a reading pane.

3) Instead of an 'X' in the upper right corner of the reading pane, maybe just put a 'Back' arrow button of some sort in the top left corner to return to the list view? It would keep some congruency between the app and the rest of the OS.

The only other things I can think of would be to add GoogleReader sync so that feeds show as 'Read' on the GReader web app, and the ability to add URL feeds that also sync back with the web app. I know some of the other things I suggested may seem like I'm nit-picking, but after using this app for almost 5 hrs after the .7 update, these things really started to irritate me.
    Last edited by bacon.jay; 05-07-11 at 09:27 PM.
    05-07-11 09:16 PM
    1) When you click on a feed to get the pop-up reading pane, you don't need to keep gesture support live for the background.
    Definitely. This is actually a bug and I'll sort it out ASAP.

2) Why even have two sizes of reading panes?
    I've had a few comments about the size of the popup dialog etc. I'll look at tweaking it's design and I'll certainly take your suggestions into consideration

3) In the reading pane, make the top bar 5-10 pixels taller and the one just below it that much shorter. ... I found myself tapping the screen several times before it would maximize/close a reading pane.
    Once I tested the app on the device itself I immediately realized that that title bar is too small. I also battle to maximize/close the dialog. Unfortunately while developing the app I could only test on a simulator using a mouse and all was fine then I will address this ASAP.

3) Instead of an 'X' in the upper right corner of the reading pane, maybe just put a 'Back' arrow button ...
    LOL (I'm laughing at myself). The 'X' close button is so "Windows" I'll replace that with an "Back" button ASAP.

The only other things I can think of would be to add GoogleReader sync so that feeds show as 'Read' on the GReader web app, and the ability to add URL feeds that also sync back with the web app.
    It actually should already be marking the items are read on the Google Reader service. Looks like there may be a bug here. I'll investigate.

I'll be adding feed management in a future version.

I know some of the other things I suggested may seem like I'm nit-picking, but after using this app for almost 5 hrs after the .7 update, these things really started to irritate me.
    You gave me exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Even the smallest issue can become a major irritation when you are using an app regularly. Thanks for the great feedback and suggestions for improvement!!
    05-08-11 01:38 AM
    can you make it work like fluent news? opening the link in mobile version or something like that? make it simpler, faster.
    05-08-11 02:32 AM
    Is the next update soon? I am considering whether to wait or try it now.
    05-08-11 02:13 PM
    I plan to release the next major update at the end of the month. This update will include share via Twitter/Facebook and email, one or two other new features and a few bug fixes.

I may release another bug fix release before that though if any more app breaking bugs are found.
    05-08-11 02:19 PM
    Ah, just got the new version, great to see the link to original article, very solid app now and sound like it is going to continue to improve, thanks!

Is the next update soon? I am considering whether to wait or try it now.
    No reason to wait, app is stable and usable, check it out!
    05-08-11 10:34 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD