I am currently creating graphics for my point and click, but have the engine done for my text adventure.

I am basing the writing off of popular decision for the most part. I will tweak it to my liking.

Genre:
    Fantasy
    Modern
    Dystopian
    Futuristic

Story:
    Provide ideas and I will take them into consideration!

Price:
    What would one be willing to pay for a text adventure? (Ps, it works well with the touch keyboard AND the bluetooth remote)
    KermEd likes this.
    02-22-12 04:45 PM
    My preferences:
    Story(spitballing here):
    - something involving dragons. Perhaps you are a dragon, or you befriend one. Other creatures could work, but I like dragons
    - futuristic story in a similar setting to Dead Space (nice ship with advanced equipment and weaponry)
    - PlayBook OS3.0 is coming out, what do you do?!?

after that last one I think I'll stop writing down ideas...

Price:
    I'd probably be willing to spend $4.99 if it's done well, but there are a few thing to comsider:
    1. Is there any replay value? Can you go through the game multiple times picking slightly different options and getting different results? Or can you continue playing after the main storyline is done?
    2. How long does it take to finish the main storyline? If it will only take around 30 minutes to finish the game and there isn't some sort of replay value, I don't think you should be charging more than $0.99, if that.
    3. How well does the virtual keyboard work for this game? If you have to use an external device to play it properly then you should reflect that in the price.

One more thing to keep in mind: If you make more than one game, will you sell each of them as a different app? Or will you sell a single app which then downloads adventures seperately? Or both?

And one question just because I'm wondering: I've seen text-based games with text input such as "throw rock", some with such things as "you now have the rock, press 't' to throw, 'd' to drop, or 's' to store in your inventory", and some with multiple choice and you either press 1, 2, 3, 4 or press buttons for the different options. Which type of game is this?

Sorry this is so long!
    02-22-12 06:07 PM
    1. I am a big fan of replay value, and open ended worlds. I plan to create "quests" to complete (think: Dragon Age)

2. I enjoy epic games. It would take a while.

3. The engine works well with virtual keyboard, resizes to match the open keyboard, and works in portrait and landscape.

Multiple games or as a single app: Undecided.

Same idea, the text adventure game spectrum is broad.
    02-22-12 07:00 PM
    Will the text adventure be only text or have some pictures as well?
    Because if it is only text and I'm paying, I'd expect there to be a freaking AMAZING writer behind the text. .
    I guess my want would be something like.. I mean I like anything from Medieval Times to Space Age. But Something interesting where you can actually upgrade your own stats. Like when you do get the decision to jump or something, it would be a certain color. The color would always correspond with agility. Depending on the level that it upgraded to, there would be a Success rate. You can succeed or fall and get hurt and have to choose another option.
    02-22-12 07:28 PM
    Will the text adventure be only text or have some pictures as well?
    Because if it is only text and I'm paying, I'd expect there to be a freaking AMAZING writer behind the text. .
    I guess my want would be something like.. I mean I like anything from Medieval Times to Space Age. But Something interesting where you can actually upgrade your own stats. Like when you do get the decision to jump or something, it would be a certain color. The color would always correspond with agility. Depending on the level that it upgraded to, there would be a Success rate. You can succeed or fall and get hurt and have to choose another option.
    I believe that to be true and I will deliver!

None the less, pictures or not, I expect quality out of anything I make.

I will be adding RPG-ish elements to it as well.
    02-22-12 07:53 PM
    Food for thought to the developer of the text-adventure games. Develop the game engine and each game as a loadable module. The price for the game engine could be free with revenue generated from the sale each "story." I remember playing text-adventure-style games on CompuServe during the early to mid 1980s.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-22-12 08:32 PM
    I'd buy this!
    02-22-12 08:35 PM
    Food for thought to the developer of the text-adventure games. Develop the game engine and each game as a loadable module. The price for the game engine could be free with revenue generated from the sale each "story." I remember playing text-adventure-style games on CompuServe during the early to mid 1980s.
    I second this... I would love to see a story system. In the very least, add on modules @ 99c, think add-ons for Fallout 3. If there was a way to engage community options to create their own kits and submit them --- the kit sells for 99c, and they will get 25c ---or free, would be a cool idea and you know at least one guy somewhere is going to fall in love with the idea...

I'm game for anything though!!! Loving the idea.

Ed
    02-22-12 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD