Is there some setting I'm missing? I am hoping that there's a way to make apps that require an internet connection to use the tether when I'm away from wifi. At the moment apps such as Weather and AppWorld won't work when I'm away from wifi. Even if I am tethering and using the bridge browser.

Or am I confusing tethering and bridge in some way? Is there a way to make my apps work?

Thanks so much for any advice.
    04-26-11 08:14 AM
    Tethering and Bridge are two different things.

Bridge is a Bluetooth connection to your phone that "mirrors" your email, calendar, browser etc. It does not pull data to your PlayBook.

Internet Tethering allows you to tether to your phone through your data plan to get data on the PlayBook. Some carriers (like AT&T) require a tethering plan for this.

For more check this video: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bridge
    04-26-11 08:49 AM

Bridge is a Bluetooth connection to your phone that "mirrors" your email, calendar, browser etc. It does not pull data to your PlayBook.

Internet Tethering allows you to tether to your phone through your data plan to get data on the PlayBook. Some carriers (like AT&T) require a tethering plan for this.

For more check this video: BlackBerry Bridge Video Walkthrough and "Free Tethering" on the PlayBook Explained! | CrackBerry.com
    Double post. O_o

Anyways.. My App World doesn't work when tethered, but my weather works just fine. I didn't understand why App World won't work when tethered, but it will work on Wifi when on a BlackBerry phone, it won't work and Wifi but it does with your data plan. Weird..
    04-26-11 08:57 AM
    Double post. O_o

Anyways.. My App World doesn't work when tethered, but my weather works just fine. I didn't understand why App World won't work when tethered, but it will work on Wifi when on a BlackBerry phone, it won't work and Wifi but it does with your data plan. Weird..
    What 'chu talkin 'bout willis? I only see one post from Adam!
    04-26-11 09:03 AM

For more check this video: BlackBerry Bridge Video Walkthrough and "Free Tethering" on the PlayBook Explained! | CrackBerry.com
    I think the confusion comes from the "bridge browser" application. It's a tethering thing rather than a bridge thing, right?

If the bridge browser isn't tethering...then how does one tether?
    04-26-11 09:50 AM
    I thether with a wifi tethering app on my Palm Pre. Everything works for me when tethered like that. The PB simply thinks it's on regular wifi.
    04-26-11 10:02 AM
    What 'chu talkin 'bout willis? I only see one post from Adam!
    Cheater! :P One of you removed the double post.
    04-26-11 10:05 AM
    I think the confusion comes from the "bridge browser" application. It's a tethering thing rather than a bridge thing, right?

If the bridge browser isn't tethering...then how does one tether?
    Bridge is simply a "mirrored" connection to your phone. So the Bridge Browser is pretty much just your phone browser but on the PlayBook.

Tethering is actually using data from the phone as data on the PlayBook. This is under Internet Tethering in the settings on the PlayBook.
    04-26-11 10:23 AM
    Cheater! :P One of you removed the double post.
    hehehe, I can't tell a lie it was ADAM!!!!!!!!!!

Nay it was me. I'm only teasing.
    04-26-11 10:34 AM
    rheostaticsfan makes a valid point and I would go further.

No PlayBook app looking for an internet connection should require a wifi connection. They should all work in either tethering or bridge mode.

If I were at Blackberry I'd require that for certification for App World placement.
    04-29-11 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD