Dear Crackberry Community,

I wish to announce my new app available for download to the Playbook. I hope you will enjoy it. The DEMO version is the only *FREE* Text-Clock available to download at this moment for the Playbook, and mine also has Talking / Alarm / Customizable Color options not found on other text clocks yet.

Here is the link:

DEMO version:
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...08256/?lang=EN

PRO version:
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...08255/?lang=EN

This app keeps your playbook awake as long as it is in the foreground, so you can put it on your bedside charging stand/pod and have it run during the night and wake you up in the morning. The PRO version has a bunch of extra features including SNOOZE.

Please download the DEMO and enjoy it! Features of the PRO version are listed, but are "greyed out". Even the FREE demo is still a very functional and FUN app. You can hook it up to your BIG SCREEN HDTV too! Awesome for store displays!

Much appreciation to anyone who finds it useful and buys the PRO version for $0.99. I hope to be updating it and add more sounds/colors/voice options, so your interest in the app will be a great motivation for me.

Thank you all!
    Last edited by edmeister; 05-02-12 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added links
    05-02-12 10:48 AM
    downloading the demo now...

Slight bug I think. I was in settings and had it say time for Alarm and it was about 1:28pm. It spoke "It is 25 past BLANK PM" where it left out the number ONE where I show "Blank!"
    Last edited by F2; 05-02-12 at 03:32 PM.
    05-02-12 03:08 PM
    Thanks for downloading! Sometimes there is an issue with audio playback that occasionally happens. If you just leave it to "rest" a bit, the audio buffer clears and should play ok the next time around when you hit "Try" button or tap the clock to say the time. Probably happens when flipping too quickly between alarm sounds and it is still hiccuping on the previous sound preview.

This is a Webworks app and I have no issues testing on Google Chrome (smooth as butter) and most of the time on Playbook it's ok also. So it must be the Playbook implementation of webkit audio playback that is a big sluggish or does not support multiple simultaneous HTML audio streams. So that is why when it is saying the time it needs to wait for each word to finish before playing the next, whereas on Google Chrome it can play the next sound even when still finishing the first one... The audio would overlap and all words play no matter what.

So if you just let the app "do it's thing" and give it some time (a second or two) between pressing too many buttons, changing settings or tapping the screen, it will be ok. I have added the "speed playback" setting for the voice (in DEMO it is set to 1.0 default which is usually fairly smooth) to compensate if this happens too often, you can change this number. But with speed setting 1.0 (default) it should be rare. I'm continuing to work on this.

Thanks for downloading the app and providing feedback!
    05-02-12 04:39 PM
    Hi folks,

I've added some screenshots as well to this post so you can see the app. Thanks again for trying it out!
    05-02-12 04:41 PM
    I am updating my app and looking to add more color presets and VOICES!

If anyone has any suggestions on good colors to use and a name (foreground text, background text and background wall) please submit them on this thread!

Regarding the voices...

If you think you can impersonate a funny voice (a famous actor, movie or cartoon character, etc) please submit your VOICE for a preset. All you have to do is say the following numbers and record them:

Regular Numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
    Special numbers: quarter, twenty, twenty-five, half
    Extra Phrases: a.m., p.m., past, to, o'clock, it's a

Just say these one after another, record them and attach to this thread! Please DOWNLOAD the Talking Alarm Text Clock to see the existing example of the way the clock talks for an idea. Thanks!!!!
    05-06-12 04:58 PM
    I will check out the demo, thanks!
    05-06-12 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD