04-19-11 01:40 PM
    Good job RIM. Provide the largest US GSM carrier with a launch day gift.
    04-19-11 01:42 PM
    That's BULL. AT&T must be inundated with unhappy customers and they put out this BS statement. And RIM won't publicly confirm or deny.
    04-19-11 01:44 PM
    I am not buying that!

AT&T has known about the PB for a long time and have collaborated closely with RIM on it's software, so this is BS!
    04-19-11 01:47 PM
    Indeed, AT&T does suck. but on the flip side, RIM should have had a deal with AT&T in place before shipping their product, like, you know, that other company with a 3G tablet that sells like crazy.
    Difference being this is wifi only so no comparison as it is not tied to the carrier.
    04-19-11 01:58 PM
    Maybe it's Apple behind. AT&T and Apple have had partnership for several years. Is that what they're doing behind the stage?
    04-19-11 01:59 PM
    AT&T probably is testing the bridge app........... testing so they can try and see if they can figure out a way to determine if someone is tethering through the bridge and charge you some more money.
    04-19-11 02:14 PM
    04-19-11 03:15 PM
    Yeah, the whole "we just received it" is not flying. Seriously? They must have received it months ago because how else would RIM be testing the PlayBook without the Bridge app?
    04-19-11 03:26 PM
    That's not fair AT&T... you just can't use that... :Mike:
    04-19-11 03:29 PM
    Actually it's not that far out of the realm of possibilities now that I think about it. I'm sure they have probably seen the bridge app, but probably not with the bridge browser. When I went to the Amp it up training on Sunday, two days before the launch, the RIM reps did not know anything about the Bridge browser. One of them actually said it didn't make sense to even do a bridge browser because you already have tethering and bridge was only supposed to be a mirror of what was displayed on the device.
    04-19-11 03:34 PM
    I don't know who the culprit is but everyone is always quick to assume is some company no named RIM. For all we know, RIM could have waited for the last possible minute to get over to AT&T with the hopes of it slipping by them and letting their users tether without additional charges. Not saying that's what happened but for anyone to think that's not a possibility you really are blind to think a company isn't capable of trying to do that.
    04-19-11 03:41 PM
    Not buying it. RIM reps may not have known but I'm willing to bet someone at AT&T knew.

AT&T is going to disable the browser and probably allow email/contacts/calendar but surfing the web. Forget it.

Said it in another thread. Look at the Motorola Atrix and it required a tether plan, essential the same thing.
    Last edited by Daps; 04-19-11 at 03:58 PM.
    04-19-11 03:51 PM
    I don't know who the culprit is but everyone is always quick to assume is some company no named RIM. For all we know, RIM could have waited for the last possible minute to get over to AT&T with the hopes of it slipping by them and letting their users tether without additional charges. Not saying that's what happened but for anyone to think that's not a possibility you really are blind to think a company isn't capable of trying to do that.
    I think the gig or is it jig was up months ago when Mike stumble about using your existing data plan with with the PlayBook. AT&T chuckled and said not on our network Mike. That announcement set these forums on fire with posters saying how they were happy because now they were going to use their blackberry and not have to get an additional data plan.

Yeah AT&T knew what was up.

Civic posted about Sprint in a thread a few days ago.

This is just AT&T putting something out there to quiet the masses and maybe throw blame to RIM some what.

I wouldn't jump ship too quick to Vzw either. They'll probably do the same thing at some point. AT&T just decided to nip it before iOS and Google got the idea of creating a bridge.

US carrier only care about $$$ Verizon & AT&T both pretty much copy what the other does.
    Last edited by Daps; 04-19-11 at 04:00 PM.
    04-19-11 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD