Hi!

There is another EPUB reader called SVIT available in App World. Now we have four ereaders out there.

BR

SOAMAN
    Spaceheater likes this.
    07-08-11 03:43 PM
    Just bought and downloaded. Seems great. No page turn animation but I don't really care. No book cover graphic but again don't really care. Can change font and size. Bookmarks as well. Came with 30 books. Great link to Project G. Downloaded 3 more books in seconds.
    Not sure what more you'd want for 1 dollar!
    07-08-11 04:52 PM
    Can someone post some pics of this app? im interested in the UI, how the books look on portrait, and fonts and theme options.
    07-08-11 05:12 PM
    Will it read DRM protected epubs?
    07-08-11 08:05 PM
    Sorry no... The description clearly states this in AppWorld.
    07-08-11 08:41 PM
    07-08-11 09:40 PM
    Well, i tried 5 epubs and none of them opened! Is the appmaker reading this thread?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 06:01 AM
    i bought it,but i am not really satisfied.
    i miss some things like page turning animations,its weird without you dont really see which way you are going.
    Also i woukd like to tab right or left to flip the page not swipe,thats uncomfortable.And i would prefer some other fonts.
    Covers would be better too,but the biggest problem for me is like i said the need to swipe for flipping.
    i wrote the dev and hope he will listen
    07-09-11 07:15 AM
    Thank you for this, so far i've been pretty happy with EPUB reader, but i like how this app displays the page number and book percentage, two very important features IMO, i think that im gonna wait a little to see how often the developer updates his app before buying it.
    07-09-11 01:50 PM
    I'm still holding out for Kindle for Playbook, but I really like the direct link to Gutenberg and I like the attempt to make full use of the touchscreen topography. Its a glimpse down the road for the Playbook, when we begin to see apps that both optimize the display capabilities and the touch sensitivity. Good effort.
    07-09-11 11:15 PM
    Nice app though i can't seem to open files i converted from mobi to epub with calibre :S i'm stuck at the loading book screen
    07-10-11 09:34 AM
    Nice app though i can't seem to open files i converted from mobi to epub with calibre :S i'm stuck at the loading book screen
    what steps are you taking? i found the keycode was the 'key' for me. for mobi, since it had been a while since i used it and actually didn't have it on this phone, i installed mobipocket on my pc, then added the pc PID to the key code. that did the trick and i was able to import and convert to epub. for all the books i converted (mobipocket, ereader.com, barnes and noble) i made sure i could open them in calibre before loading on the PB. some books i thought were converted still had the DRM on them.

For those who are going from ereader.com to epub it's a 2 step process. first import into calibre, which converts it to pmlz. then highlight the book and hit the convert books button to convert to epub.

lastly, i wrote the developer about pdf files that have converted to epub hanging at the 'loading book' screen. he says a new version is pending approval from RIM that should fix that problem. he actually said it should be in appworld tomorrow (7/19).
    Last edited by vecharo; 07-18-11 at 08:49 PM.
    07-18-11 08:44 PM
    i run with the default settings :/ though the new update did solve the issue so all's good
    07-20-11 04:47 AM
    If you downloaded a file through the Playbook browser, everything will go into the Download folder no matter the type of the files. Or try a different ereader.
    11-25-11 12:00 AM
    no, he means an actual folder called downloads. its where things get placed when you download them. if you get the program called air browser from app world it will show you it or you can enable file sharing and find it with windows.
    11-25-11 05:38 PM
    If you downloaded a file through the Playbook browser, everything will go into the Download folder no matter the type of the files. Or try a different ereader.
    ... then too ... SVIT has a file manager which allows you to pick books from any directory. Once you add the book to the library you have easy access to it.

The best source for ePub public domain books (and music and videos) is from
    Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine
    (archive.org)

My favorite apps are PlayEPub and BookReader.
    SVIT does not render graphics yet so it is low on my list.
    Each reader has it's benefit since each book file renders differently. If you are a book reader then get the first two.
    Last edited by mandony; 11-25-11 at 10:38 PM.
    11-25-11 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD