I am looking to learn how to make playbook apps and was wondering what books or websites would be the best to look at or buy? I used to be able to write a little MS-DOS but am way way out of practice.
    01-16-12 05:44 AM
    I am looking to learn how to make playbook apps and was wondering what books or websites would be the best to look at or buy? I used to be able to write a little MS-DOS but am way way out of practice.
    You will definitely need to hone up on your generic programming skills. JavaScript/HTML is a good place to start - a Google search on the phrase "javascript tutorial" will produce thousands of hits.

Beyond that here is a good basic introduction to what development options are available specifically for the PlayBook.

Adobe Edge: January 2011 - Quick tips: Developing apps for the BlackBerry PlayBook

And here is a link to the official RIM developer forums:

Developer Support Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    cuong205a likes this.
    01-16-12 11:49 AM
    It kinda depends on what kinda app you wana make. head over to the blackberry dev site anyone can signup and there is plenty of free and trial software and resources you can download and read up on the different packages for devs i have zero programming knowledge... i went there signed up and read up a bit on the most basic "web app" got as far as the signing process but the key signer couldent locate my sdk i think due to win 7 issues so its on the back burner for me lol but there are some dummy books like html5 for dummies and others i cant think of atm.. but id check out the dev site see which route u wana go with your app and read up on that particular subject i guess.. heh like i said i have zero programing knowledge and i wasent succesfull with the basics but this is my expierence anyway good luck to ya!

heres a link to the playbook dev site.. atleast in dec/nov you could download all this free on windows.. some software is trial but i think its 6months

BlackBerry - Tablet OS - Calling All Apps for the BlackBerry Tablet OS
    cuong205a likes this.
    01-16-12 02:02 PM
    It kinda depends on what kinda app you wana make. head over to the blackberry dev site anyone can signup and there is plenty of free and trial software and resources you can download and read up on the different packages for devs i have zero programming knowledge... i went there signed up and read up a bit on the most basic "web app" got as far as the signing process but the key signer couldent locate my sdk i think due to win 7 issues so its on the back burner for me lol but there are some dummy books like html5 for dummies and others i cant think of atm.. but id check out the dev site see which route u wana go with your app and read up on that particular subject i guess.. heh like i said i have zero programing knowledge and i wasent succesfull with the basics but this is my expierence anyway good luck to ya!

heres a link to the playbook dev site.. atleast in dec/nov you could download all this free on windows.. some software is trial but i think its 6months

BlackBerry - Tablet OS - Calling All Apps for the BlackBerry Tablet OS
    Your post brings to mind my short list of three attributes that a good PB developer needs

1. A keen love of logic and willingness/talent to apply this aptitude to real world situations. If you think that creating an excellent app is easy, then you are in the wrong line of business. You have to use logic to anticipate all the illogical ways that a user will abuse your "perfect" creation.

2. A keen love of problem-solving. If you normally quit when "stumped" by a problem, you are in the wrong line of business. Ability to persevere is good; knowing when to change course is better. Perfectionism (within reason) is a good trait; but working with flawed tools is a reality.

3. Knowing how and when to seek professional help. Your fist instinct must be to use search tools when stymied. Never ask a question in a developers' forum until you have used Google and the search tools available in the forum. Be ready to provide examples of the steps that you have taken so far in order to solve your problem.
    peter9477 and jetstreamblue like this.
    01-16-12 03:34 PM
    Your post brings to mind my short list of three attributes that a good PB developer needs

1. A keen love of logic and willingness/talent to apply this aptitude to real world situations. If you think that creating an excellent app is easy, then you are in the wrong line of business. You have to use logic to anticipate all the illogical ways that a user will abuse your "perfect" creation.

2. A keen love of problem-solving. If you normally quit when "stumped" by a problem, you are in the wrong line of business. Ability to persevere is good; knowing when to change course is better. Perfectionism (within reason) is a good trait; but working with flawed tools is a reality.

3. Knowing how and when to seek professional help. Your fist instinct must be to use search tools when stymied. Never ask a question in a developers' forum until you have used Google and the search tools available in the forum. Be ready to provide examples of the steps that you have taken so far in order to solve your problem.

Heh this is all true as far as im concerened but trust me i spent ALOT of time searching around for answers to my problems and even found some devs with similar problems on the bb dev forums and like me there questions were un answered and the 2 posts im reffering to were months old already at the time.. I boiled it down to windows 7 issues as the people with my problem were also on win 7.. that said I wouldent say im done with trying i just dont have the time to spend on experamenting currently :/ its almost like trying to learn a new language to someone who has only ever dabbled in html as far as code goes heh but i agree with your post but i shouldent have said i gave up lol just on the back burner for now
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-16-12 03:54 PM
    @Alt-F4

You gave a very good answer to the OP's question - and I hope you continue down the road you have taken. Your take on things reminded me of what went through my mind when I first started out. I was just wanted to express your thoughts in a more generic form. The basic thing I wanted to communicate that there is no "right" way to answer the OP's question. App development is more about having the correct mindset than knowing how to use a specific set of tools. If you are excited about writing apps and have the "correct" attitude, you will find a way to do so.
    Alt-F4 likes this.
    01-16-12 04:12 PM
    I will quote you what my asm instructor told me.

If you feel like you want to throw yourself under a bus, congratulations, you're doing something right. Problem solving is not easy.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-16-12 08:46 PM
    I will quote you what my asm instructor told me.

If you feel like you want to throw yourself under a bus, congratulations, you're doing something right. Problem solving is not easy.
    I can certainly understand this statement as it relates to challenges in writing assembly code, the quintessential procedural language. Modern object oriented languages are at the opposite end of the spectrum and allow programmers to model the world as familiar things that interact with each other.

If I were to give the OP one last piece of advice about writing an app, it would be to learn about OOD and OOP so that your app doesn't end up as one or two massive blobs of procedural code that are virtually impossible to debug. You might feel like throwing yourself under a bus at that point but is is most certainly NOT because you did something right.

Java, c++ and AS3 are object orient languages. JavaScript is a procedural language but can be made to behave in an OO manner. If you have no idea what I'm talking about remember that Google is your friend. Google "OOD OOP" and the first entry in the search results is a Wikipedia article on object oriented programming. The second entry is an article on object oriented analysis and design.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-16-12 11:53 PM
    Thanks for all the great input I have always been interested in making apps so I am all fired up and ready to learn is there a main book people would recommend me to buy to read up on this?
    01-17-12 01:18 AM
    Thanks for all the great input I have always been interested in making apps so I am all fired up and ready to learn is there a main book people would recommend me to buy to read up on this?
    If only it were that easy hah ;p id say check out the different platforms for developing on the bb pb os. they are listed on the dev site from my link above.. that should give u an idea on how you want to build your app and from there id say check around for books on for example developing with webworks/adobe air.. ect "i think" the different sdk's are better suited for diff types of apps correct me if im wrong heh but id say u should deff browse around the bb dev zone so u get an idea of what your getting into and then go from there but as far as i can see there is no books like how to develop apps for the playbook.. there are books for android/ios and blackberry phone os that i have seen.. dunno what exactly they do teach but i havent found anything like that yet for the playbook.. id say someone must be working on a dummy book or something hopefully heh
    01-17-12 03:02 AM
    I've found with the online resources available, books aren't really the way to learn to program anymore. A lot more practical and easy to follow some tutorials. If you're writing Air apps, Adobe has a lot of excellent tutorials and references to help you get started.
    01-17-12 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD