Hi, they actually have a case, bluetooth keyboard and stylus that will be released. they have not announced this but ive seen it due to my working relationship with them. i dont know the specifics on timing but like you i would love this in advance of OS2 in feb. i know, no pics no proof but this is true.

thanks
    what kind of stylus are we talking about here? if it's just another capacitive stylus then I won't be looking forward to it. But if it's a stylus like the one galaxy note has, then I'm definitely gonna be waiting for it...
    12-10-11 10:18 AM
    in android I tried using the handrite app and it works nicely. i tried some styli at future shop and never found one that worked well with this app, or with the playbook. unsure if its the touch sensitivity or the app.

has anyone tried any android apps for note taking?

I've tried Handrite, Genial Writing, TabNotes and PenSupremacy.

My personal favorites are Handrite and Tabnotes (has a pinch/zoom feature but doesnt export to PDF)

PiciNote is good, but handwriting stays short in my opinion when u compare it to the android apps. But for a native PB app is one of the best ones i've tried. I like that you can take pictures and make doodles on them. (good for college)
    12-10-11 09:24 PM
    Where can one find the .bar files for handrite and the other mentioned android apps?
    12-10-11 11:02 PM
    Where can one find the .bar files for handrite and the other mentioned android apps?
    I can't share the .bar files for most of them.

Handrite Free and Genial Writing can found on one spreadsheet for android bars. Dont remember which one.
    12-10-11 11:22 PM
    does anyone know if the playbooks screen is capable of using an active digitizer pen? similar to the lenovo thinkpad tablet, if thats possible then a real hand-writing note app could be made, i actually wonder why no one really makes that feature, aside from lenovo and the htc flyer.
    koolkid15 and koolkid15 like this.
    12-10-11 11:29 PM
    does anyone know if the playbooks screen is capable of using an active digitizer pen? similar to the lenovo thinkpad tablet, if thats possible then a real hand-writing note app could be made, i actually wonder why no one really makes that feature, aside from lenovo and the htc flyer.
    that question has also been popping around in my mind these couple of days. I am wondering why the playbook does not play nice with the capacitive stylus available in the market, there must be something in the screen, perhaps another "unknown" layer that works with a proprietary stylus??
    12-11-11 01:07 AM
    okay, so I did a little check on playbook's display hardware, it uses the cypress cy8ctma3 touch screen technology with the latest true touch tm technology. I browsed through cypress' website and found this TrueTouch� Touchscreen Controllers - Cypress Semiconductor

It says that the true touch technology supports 1mm resistive style stylus.

now this intrigues me.....

Last edited by marksasongko; 12-11-11 at 07:10 AM.
    mccs, Spinal and Guyzer like this.
    12-11-11 07:03 AM
    okay, so I did a little check on playbook's display hardware, it uses the cypress cy8ctma3 touch screen technology with the latest true touch tm technology. I browsed through cypress' website and found this TrueTouch� Touchscreen Controllers - Cypress Semiconductor

intrigues me too.

i'd love to have the ability to take notes like that. it's why i almost bought the htc flyer instead of my pb.

i bought a cheap ($12) targus stylus at walmart to use basically as a key presser when i would get lazy and didn't want to use my fingers. works fine for me when i have my pb propped up on my desk on in my lap.
    12-11-11 08:23 AM
    intrigues me too.

i'd love to have the ability to take notes like that. it's why i almost bought the htc flyer instead of my pb.

i bought a cheap ($12) targus stylus at walmart to use basically as a key presser when i would get lazy and didn't want to use my fingers. works fine for me when i have my pb propped up on my desk on in my lap.
    I had a targus once, didn't work unless I press real hard, bought zeego or something like that, has a finer tip and works slightly better. I'm gonma try my ipaq's stylus when I get home..

if it works, this is really gonna differentiate it from other 7" tablets
    12-11-11 08:31 AM
    the old hp ipaq? as in windows mobile one? i thought those were simple sticks because the screens were resistive vice capacitive...

but if it works, awesome!
    12-11-11 08:41 AM
    the old hp ipaq? as in windows mobile one? i thought those were simple sticks because the screens were resistive vice capacitive...

but if it works, awesome!
    yep, check out the youtibe vids I posted.. cypress girl was using a fine tip stylus, like the resistive stylus. but the material looks like metal of some sorts..
    12-11-11 08:51 AM
    okay, I lost my ipaq stylus, but I tried the stylus from fujitsu lifebook.. didn't work.. I guess the stylus needs to be made of metal so that it can conduct charge..
    12-11-11 09:27 AM

if this is true and the hardware is there why doesn't RIM enable this, i mean the whole idea of having a tablet (in my opinion anyway) would be something to replace taking notes with a pen/paper or at least having the option to. the lady in the vid used that small 1mm one - I wonder if they're available on ebay or something for purchase as it does not require a battery like the lenovo tablet, so maybe it'll just work?

i have the targus one as well i got from work (cost is dirt cheap lol) and i just use it so i dont get a zillion finger prints on the screen, otherwise its pretty useless.
    12-11-11 10:04 AM
    Those videos, particularly, the HOVER one are a bit generic. I doubt the pb has that screen type. Someone posted a pretty good video comparing about 5 different models. Some did better at fine character, handwriting entry.

I tried two stubby rubber tipped ones and returned them both. Still using the finger and not doing much FINE entry.
    12-11-11 10:41 AM
    Those videos, particularly, the HOVER one are a bit generic. I doubt the pb has that screen type. Someone posted a pretty good video comparing about 5 different models. Some did better at fine character, handwriting entry.

I tried two stubby rubber tipped ones and returned them both. Still using the finger and not doing much FINE entry.
    I can't say for sure, the teardown web says that pb has cypress with the latest true touch technology and cypress web says 1mm stylus support, and carlosroo said RIM is preparing for an official stylus. Perhaps our fearless leader Kevin could have something to say aboutthis...
    12-11-11 10:50 AM
    okay, I lost my ipaq stylus, but I tried the stylus from fujitsu lifebook.. didn't work.. I guess the stylus needs to be made of metal so that it can conduct charge..
    Just grab an old metalic pen. remove the ink charger and the tip. Replace it with a soft sponge and you got yourself a more responsive stylus than those on the market.
    marksasongko likes this.
    12-11-11 05:20 PM

Just grab an old metalic pen. remove the ink charger and the tip. Replace it with a soft sponge and you got yourself a more responsive stylus than those on the market.
    thanks i will try this.
    12-11-11 05:48 PM

could you post a pic of that?thanks a lot...
    12-12-11 12:08 AM
    could you post a pic of that?thanks a lot...
    There you go! Looks horrible but works well.. you can see the two other pics are demos of the use of these little guys.

I personally prefer writing with the short one... feels good in my small hands.
    Last edited by alekza; 12-12-11 at 01:44 AM.
    marksasongko likes this.
    12-12-11 01:33 AM
    would like to hear more about this 1mm stylus thats shown in those videos. wondering where I can buy one.

also has anyone had any use with the bamboo stylus? I'm looking to buy a quality stylus for note taking
    12-12-11 01:40 AM
    There you go! Looks horrible but works well.. you can see the two other pics are demos of the use of these little guys.

I personally prefer writing with the short one... feels good in my small hands.
    I thought the sponge was on the small tip... could you really write with a stylus that big?
    12-12-11 01:47 AM
    would like to hear more about this 1mm stylus thats shown in those videos. wondering where I can buy one.

also has anyone had any use with the bamboo stylus? I'm looking to buy a quality stylus for note taking
    in one of the article about this, it was said that cypress demoed writing using a standard pencil. I tried that, didn't work. Now, there are several possihle causes:
    1)feature is blocked by RIM
    2)feature is inhibited by screen protector
    3)feature is not available

in regards to reason #1, perhaps the dingleberry team could have a say in this?
    12-12-11 01:58 AM

I tried bamboo... and I use a screen protector... and I had to apply a significant amount of pressure to get the desired result.
    12-12-11 02:01 AM
    I thought the sponge was on the small tip... could you really write with a stylus that big?
    I haven�t tried with the tip because of the pen I used the metal tip holder can be removed. As i posted, there are the samples of the notes i took with them... when i find a better pen... i'll give it a try. I dont have a big need at the moment for a stylus because of the holidays.

EDIT: made the tip smaller and more... presentable... works too.
    Last edited by alekza; 12-12-11 at 02:20 AM.
    12-12-11 02:08 AM
    I haven�t tried with the tip because of the pen I used the metal tip holder can be removed. As i posted, there are the samples of the notes i took with them... when i find a better pen... i'll give it a try. I dont have a big need at the moment for a stylus because of the holidays.

EDIT: made the tip smaller and more... presentable... works too.
    what kinda sponge are you using? I couldnt get my sponges to work on my pb
    12-12-11 04:39 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD