got a question for the devs...I assume the bitrate n quality settings of converted files are hardcoded into the server software? Is there any chance it could be implemented as a config file (before having to code it into the UI)?
    Just so I can manually tweak things w/o much code modification.. maybe?
    04-23-12 11:00 AM
    If your video is able to play in the PlayBook built-in player, StreamingNow will play that too because both players use same video playback api provided by OS. So their video playback ability should be exactly same, nothing less and nothing more. Remuxing and transcoding is used only when the video is not supported by PlayBook OS.
    This app won't work over a wifi hotspot will it? I have my PB connected to the hotspot of my phone and can't get this app to connect. Or does my PB have to connected to the same wifi internet connection as my PC?
    04-23-12 02:32 PM
    Anyone else having trouble running the media server on their pc? Still unable to connect my playbook? Any tips? I followed the directions on the site.

Thanks
    Very likely it's firewall setting issue. Please make sure Windows Firewall allows "Java Platform SE binary" to access your network.
    04-23-12 04:02 PM
    Hmmm...it appears the PB running this app has to be connected to the very same network the PC is using. My PC is connected by wire to a specific wireless router which my PB is using and I can get this app to connect to my PC. But when I connect my PB to a different router that my PC is not connected to, this app won't connect. It won't connect to a hotspot nor any other network connection that the PC is not connected to.

This defeats the purpose of this app...being able to connect to your PC and play media from your PC while out and about.

If there are no plans to fix this problem in a future update, I would like to apply for a refund.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 04-23-12 at 04:38 PM.
    04-23-12 04:16 PM
    Hmmm...it appears the PB running this app has to be connected to the very same network the PC is using. My PC is connected by wire to a specific wireless router which my PB is using and I can get this app to connect to my PC. But when I connect my PB to a different router that my PC is not connected to, this app won't connect. It won't connect to a hotspot nor any other network connection that the PC is not connected to.

This defeats the purpose of this app...being able to connect to your PC and play media from your PC while out and about.
    This app is designed for home entertainment. It doesn't stream over internet. In local network environment, StreamingNow works no matter which routers pc and pb connect to as long as they are accessible to each other. If it doesn't work for you, please check your network settings.
    04-23-12 04:43 PM
    This app is designed for home entertainment. It doesn't stream over internet. In local network environment, StreamingNow works no matter which routers pc and pb connect to as long as they are accessible to each other. If it doesn't work for you, please check your network settings.
    No need to check my network settings. This app isn't connecting to my PC while on a network my PC isn't on. What I means is: the streaming media server is up and running on my PC, if i go out and about and connect my PB to any wifi hotspot, this app won't connect to my PC. I believed this was an app that would substitute actual content on my PB with access to that content through this app connected to the internet. It doesn't. It is useless to me. $3 is a lot of money for a jobless, no-income person. I can find another useful app somewhere to use that valuable $3 on.
    04-23-12 04:49 PM
    In UK, Just downloaded it and tried it.

Works fine, handy tool to have...

Glad its Native as well, Its handy having a load of android apps to use in the android player but you cant help but feel more secure when its a native app.
    04-23-12 05:11 PM
    No need to check my network settings. This app isn't connecting to my PC while on a network my PC isn't on. What I means is: the streaming media server is up and running on my PC, if i go out and about and connect my PB to any wifi hotspot, this app won't connect to my PC.
    You still dont get it.... its not meant to stream over the internet. In fact, you could do it but the xfer from home -> PB would be so crappy you would get like 1fps depending on your outbound BW from home.
    Its designed to run on LAN only since thats more suitable for high BW traffic such as streaming HD movies.
    Next time read what it does before actually buying it =)
    04-23-12 05:59 PM
    You still dont get it.... its not meant to stream over the internet. In fact, you could do it but the xfer from home -> PB would be so crappy you would get like 1fps depending on your outbound BW from home.
    Its designed to run on LAN only since thats more suitable for high BW traffic such as streaming HD movies.
    Next time read what it does before actually buying it =)
    I didn't see anything about a local area network connection restriction when I bought the app. Nor did I see anything stating this app won't connect to the internet or stream over the internet.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 04-23-12 at 08:13 PM.
    04-23-12 06:41 PM
    Nice app may21, thank you.

Allowing a user specified bitrate on the conversion settings would be very useful. I had a 720p 2000kbps ish file and it converted it down to 200kbps ish, so it looked aweful.

I also notice when deleting the converted file the confirmation window doesn't always appear correctly.
    04-23-12 08:12 PM
    Nice app may21, thank you.

Allowing a user specified bitrate on the conversion settings would be very useful. I had a 720p 2000kbps ish file and it converted it down to 200kbps ish, so it looked aweful.

I also notice when deleting the converted file the confirmation window doesn't always appear correctly.
    We'll release a server update soon to increase the bitrate of conversion files. Actually we set the max output bitrate is 3000kb/s currently. We'll check why it down to 200kb/s. Can you email us the detailed media info(like codecs, bitrate, resolution, etc.) of the original file you are having issue? or send us a screenshot that shows the files's media info? Our support email address is [email protected]. thanks for your feedback.
    04-23-12 08:34 PM
    We'll release a server update soon to increase the bitrate of conversion files. Actually we set the max output bitrate is 3000kb/s currently. We'll check why it down to 200kb/s. Can you email us the detailed media info(like codecs, bitrate, resolution, etc.) of the original file you are having issue? or send us a screenshot that shows the files's media info? Our support email address is [email protected]. thanks for your feedback.
    Will do. At work currently so will have a look tonight or tomorrow.
    04-23-12 08:46 PM
    Nice app, I like the integration for remuxing and conversion. Besides subtitles, I would like to see an option to buffer a stream, this is convenient especially when streaming 1080p movies. The PlayBook cannot keep up with more than 2MB/s.
    04-23-12 10:04 PM
    May here is the info on the converted file. The quality is really bad on the PB. Can you make better specs of the converted file? Bigger resolution, higher bitrate?

Thank you.

PS. I posted original file mkv versus converted file - avi. Hope that it helps.
    Last edited by majorusa; 04-24-12 at 04:54 AM.
    04-24-12 04:40 AM
    We'll release a server update this weekend for improving video quality of converted fies. It won't affect remuxed file and it'll still keep the best quality as the original files.
    bluetroll likes this.
    04-25-12 12:02 PM
    Please, i hope subtitles are coming soon
    04-25-12 01:19 PM
    I finally got paid and went to buy this app.. it went up from $2.99 to $3.99... not a biggy, i like to support Devs.

Now the problem is that I'm in the UK. They use � (sterling pounds) here. RIM is trying to charge me �3.99 pounds, which at most recent conversion rate ends up being US$6.45

Is this fair for users?

I know isn't devs fault but I believe this is even illegal to price US$1=�1

Even Apple, Google and Nokia proce their apps accordingly �0.69, €0.79, US$0.99

Rim should get they s*** right and stop stealing from consumers like this.
    04-25-12 04:48 PM
    Does streaming now have a filesize limitation or something? Because Im getting an error it cant read file from the server and to please restart server, on my PB side after remuxing a 7GB movie.
    Ive tried restarting server , remuxing it again and still the same issue.
    04-25-12 11:36 PM
    Alright, I guess I was wrong bout the audio quality when remuxing. This needs to be fixed ASAP. Its reencoded to PCM 16khz?! thats extremely poor quality audio. Can you change it to at least do aac or something?
    I couldnt tell cuz I was watchin it w/ just speakers on PB. Wasnt till hooked up to decent speakers .. I was like WTF?!
    I notice it uses a file called wmediaengine to process everything. Are there any cmd line arguments I can use on it to do a conversion manually? maybe set PCM to a higher khz or something? Thanks
    04-28-12 12:31 AM
    We'll release a server update this weekend for improving video quality of converted fies. It won't affect remuxed file and it'll still keep the best quality as the original files.
    Well, the week-end passed and no update. Can you post a status for the promised update? Thank you.
    05-01-12 12:18 AM
    Man, I was told quite differently, ugh... this app needs the remuxed audio settings changed DRASTICALLY, PCM 16khz is simply not acceptable for audio quality. It needs AAC @ VBR, minimum, w/ same source channel count.
    Video settings dont need to be changed , since most videos play natively. Its the audio settings that need changed in either full encode or remux...for sure!
    05-01-12 12:30 AM
    Man, I was told quite differently, ugh... this app needs the remuxed audio settings changed DRASTICALLY, PCM 16khz is simply not acceptable for audio quality. It needs AAC @ VBR, minimum, w/ same source channel count.
    Video settings dont need to be changed , since most videos play natively. Its the audio settings that need changed in either full encode or remux...for sure!
    Yes it's different becuase you are talking the remuxing but I talked conversion(transcoding) in the post. And you are the only person complaining about the quality of remuxed video but we'll improve it anyway, even if it's lower-priority for most users and us.
    Last edited by may21; 05-01-12 at 09:09 AM.
    05-01-12 09:02 AM
    Well, the week-end passed and no update. Can you post a status for the promised update? Thank you.
    Sorry for the delay. We decided to include subtitle support, conversion video quality setting(server-side) and improving remuxed audio quality in this update. It's a big improvement. Most code are done and we'll start to do full testing from tomorrow. We'll try to submit to app world this week. Thank you for your patience.
    05-01-12 09:07 AM
    Sorry for the delay. We decided to include subtitle support, conversion video quality setting(server-side) and improving remuxed audio quality in this update. It's a big improvement. Most code are done and we'll start to do full testing from tomorrow. We'll try to submit to app world this week. Thank you for your patience.
    Very cool, can you tell me w/ what settings your going for in the audio w/ remuxing?
    Also, is there any chance user changeable codec settings will be implimented into the server soon?
    05-01-12 09:41 AM
    Thanks I rather have a good update than a half one. Also I noticed worse audio quality after a remux. Not really noticable when playing on the book, but it is really bad when attached to headphones/speakers.

Anyway I like the support and your work in this app. I really like it, missing some subtitle support now, but can live without it as it is already scheduled
    05-01-12 01:34 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD