This app is just great.. When I first bought the playbook, my intention was to use it as media device. When I found out about side-loading etc I used it more for games etc. because the playbook does not recognize all file formats (no AC3 etc...) With this app, I have just everyting..

I have a homeserver with the streamer installed on, that server has enough cpu power to convert the movies fast enough for me. Also that this can be actioned from the playbook makes the concept so easy.. It is just great!

Bought the app and I like it very much! One question though. The name says:"Media server". Does that mean that there will be support for MP3/WMV files in the future? If so then it would be the most used app of the playbook .
    04-19-12 06:44 AM
    This app is just great.. When I first bought the playbook, my intention was to use it as media device. When I found out about side-loading etc I used it more for games etc. because the playbook does not recognize all file formats (no AC3 etc...) With this app, I have just everyting..

I have a homeserver with the streamer installed on, that server has enough cpu power to convert the movies fast enough for me. Also that this can be actioned from the playbook makes the concept so easy.. It is just great!

Bought the app and I like it very much! One question though. The name says:"Media server". Does that mean that there will be support for MP3/WMV files in the future? If so then it would be the most used app of the playbook .
    Thanks wesjuhdabomb. We are happy to heard you like our app. StreamingNow media server already support audio playback behind the scence but we need to enable it in the app side. For now we mainly concentrate on video playback. Once we are satisfied with that, we'll start to work on the audio part. With the help of the media server, it'll support all popular audio formats including FLAC, also will do real-time transcoding for unsupported audio.
    wesjuhdabomb and VeGiTo like this.
    04-19-12 08:15 AM
    I have to ask, I just purchased Lan File Explorer yesterday, did you develop that one as well? The apps are almost identical. Streamingnow does exactly what I am looking for. Is there any chance I can get a refund on the other?
    04-19-12 10:26 AM
    Thanks wesjuhdabomb. We are happy to heard you like our app. StreamingNow media server already support audio playback behind the scence but we need to enable it in the app side. For now we mainly concentrate on video playback. Once we are satisfied with that, we'll start to work on the audio part. With the help of the media server, it'll support all popular audio formats including FLAC, also will do real-time transcoding for unsupported audio.
    Wow thats great Will wait for the update in that case . Only thing I noticed with converting an unsupported MKV file is that remuxing damages the audio quality (not really noticable through Playbook speakers, but it is through stereo/headset). And Converting just damages video & audio.
    04-19-12 10:44 AM
    Can I use the media server to access my files from my NAS? Lan File Explorer can not do that
    04-19-12 12:10 PM
    Please!!!!!!! I have a nas with all my movies, but use a Mac currently. Would love to use this app instead of copying movies over manually when I want to watch something.
    04-19-12 06:53 PM
    Can I use the media server to access my files from my NAS? Lan File Explorer can not do that
    Both apps support NAS by mapping NAS device to a network drive.
    Last edited by gaoliang21; 04-19-12 at 09:09 PM.
    04-19-12 08:44 PM
    this app is freaking awesome!!!

i was a bit skeptical at spending $2.99 on this app, but i took the plunge.

it's so easy to setup too!

IT'S WORTH IT!!!
    EpicSoftworks, fbloise and raymond like this.
    04-19-12 09:07 PM
    Downloaded last night. Very excited!
    may21 likes this.
    04-20-12 06:39 AM
    omg... i've been using this app since yesterday and i honestly think this is one of the best apps in app world....

this turns the pb into a media centre.

$2.99 is a steal!
    EpicSoftworks and may21 like this.
    04-20-12 11:43 AM
    This is a great app but the technical support from 7mobile.ca is even better. Thanks guys.
    may21 likes this.
    04-20-12 01:29 PM
    Thanks for this awesome app !

I got 2 Questions...

First I got a problem with a mapped drive.
    It's a Hdd from my DVR, mapped as a Network device.

I can choose it in the PC Program of StreamingNow, but when on the Playbook and trying to select the Drive, it looks like it connects only to show the message, that it can't connect and try to check if there's still a connection.

In Lan File Explorer it works this way as expected.

2nd Question is, will there in the future be support (atleast for remux) for mpeg2 and .ts files?
    Would be awesome since my Files on my DVR are all mpeg2 .ts files.
    Last edited by Dave_Carter; 04-21-12 at 12:37 PM.
    04-21-12 09:18 AM
    To the OP, first of all I want to thank you for this app, its simply amazing and I ultimately hope to stream any sort of video(my movie collection) to my bigscreen TV using micro HDMI cable and ur app.
    I was really afraid to purchase it at first knowing my streaming experience w/ subsonic using the web ui, was HORRIBLE, nothing above 1000kbps wanted to stream reliably, and because it was 1000kbps the quality was horrible.
    But I took the plunge and gave ur app a shot and it works astoundingly well, the fact it keeps the original video format has me jumpin up and down for joy =)

I did however, in the use of it, have a couple ideas pop up that would add some desired functionality.
    I would like to see an option to "download" the remuxed / transcoded result to the playbook itself(I know I can do this by going to PC and draggin n droppin the video file onto playbook over network, but would be so much easier if could be done through UI of StreamingNow itself. (Perhaps put another button next to delete file option, which says Download, then it simply downloads the file to the "videos" folder on playbook.)

Also, in the section that shows codec / bitrate for video summery ... can you add a channel count for audio?

Also, I would like to see control over transcoding options for both audio and video. These settings should just go into the server portion of the program.
    I noticed one quality issue. When having to do the full convert instead of just remux. The audio sounded like crap. Luckily one doesnt have to do the full convert very often cuz PB supports many diff video types.

Thats all I can think of for now.
    All I can say, its a great app. Its my first officially paid app on any mobile device Ive ever owned.
    Thanks much!
    may21 likes this.
    04-21-12 12:00 PM
    Thanks for this awesome app !

I got 2 Questions...

First I got a problem with a mapped drive.
    It's a Hdd from my DVR, mapped as a Network device.

I can choose it in the PC Program of StreamingNow, but when on the Playbook and trying to select the Drive, it looks like it connects only to show the message, that it can't connect and try to check if there's still a connection.

In Lan File Explorer it works this way as expected.

2nd Question is, will there in the future be support (atleast for remux) for mpeg2 and .ts files?
    Would be awesome since my Files on my DVR are all mpeg2 .ts files.
    Lots users are able to access their network drives without issues. Did you map your DVR hard drive as a network drive like "x:\".

We'll look into mpeg2 and ts file in later update.
    04-21-12 01:33 PM
    I would like to see an option to "download" the remuxed / transcoded result to the playbook itself
    +1 for this one
    04-21-12 01:36 PM
    To the OP, first of all I want to thank you for this app, its simply amazing and I ultimately hope to stream any sort of video(my movie collection) to my bigscreen TV using micro HDMI cable and ur app.
    I was really afraid to purchase it at first knowing my streaming experience w/ subsonic using the web ui, was HORRIBLE, nothing above 1000kbps wanted to stream reliably, and because it was 1000kbps the quality was horrible.
    But I took the plunge and gave ur app a shot and it works astoundingly well, the fact it keeps the original video format has me jumpin up and down for joy =)

I did however, in the use of it, have a couple ideas pop up that would add some desired functionality.
    I would like to see an option to "download" the remuxed / transcoded result to the playbook itself(I know I can do this by going to PC and draggin n droppin the video file onto playbook over network, but would be so much easier if could be done through UI of StreamingNow itself. (Perhaps put another button next to delete file option, which says Download, then it simply downloads the file to the "videos" folder on playbook.)

Also, in the section that shows codec / bitrate for video summery ... can you add a channel count for audio?

Also, I would like to see control over transcoding options for both audio and video. These settings should just go into the server portion of the program.
    I noticed one quality issue. When having to do the full convert instead of just remux. The audio sounded like crap. Luckily one doesnt have to do the full convert very often cuz PB supports many diff video types.

Thats all I can think of for now.
    All I can say, its a great app. Its my first officially paid app on any mobile device Ive ever owned.
    Thanks much!
    We have planned to add remuxing and transcoding options to allow user to choose A/V bitrate, audio track, etc. We'll start to work on this after next major update.

StreamingNow app has the channel value already but doesn't display it because of the precious screen space. We'll display more detailed media info somewhere when implementing the feature of remuxing/transcoding options.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    04-21-12 01:46 PM
    I bought and tried and was satisfied!
    Gave 5 stars, and waiting for subtitle support.
    The app is native and work well with Playbook, unlike others tversity which is terrible.
    Was able to watch all of my videos even those with AC3 by doing a demuxing which take less then 2 mins for a movie.
    For me, its awesome, and only missing subtitle support.
    may21 likes this.
    04-21-12 04:04 PM
    It appears the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway just to be sure: will this app also play movies that are already stored on the PlayBook, including videos with codecs unsupported by the stock video player?
    04-21-12 09:39 PM
    It appears the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway just to be sure: will this app also play movies that are already stored on the PlayBook, including videos with codecs unsupported by the stock video player?
    No, just like what the app name says "StreamingNow". It's used for streaming videos from Pc to PlayBook. If the video/audio codecs are not supported by PlayBook, it's able to do remuxing or transcoding.
    04-21-12 09:50 PM
    EDIT - Tried some AVI files and it wants to remux them. So far it won't play after remuxing. It just has a blank, black screen. And the app froze. Had to kill it to get it to work again. Looks like tapping to play an AVI file is freezing the app.
    We can't reproduce the issue.

EDIT 2 - After a reboot of my PB, the converted files are now playing. Remuxing doesn't seem to work. At least remuxed files won't play.
    If the video codec is not supported by playbook or not standard, it won't play even if it's remuxed. That's why it also provide Convert button beside Remux. This is rare. We tried over 70 video files and just found one doesn't work after remuxing. And it works after conversion.

EDIT 3 - Okay, it doesn't seem to take too long to convert a file and the visual quality is sufficient to be acceptable so I believe I can live with it.
    The quality of the converted video is decreased intentionally but is reasonable. We'd like
    the converted video are able to be streamed smoothly over slow wifi connection. As what I mentioned in the previous post, we'll add "remuxing/transcoding options" in later update and user will be able to control the quality by himself according to his wifi connection.

Thanks for your feedback.
    04-22-12 10:36 AM
    If the video codec is not supported by playbook or not standard, it won't play even if it's remuxed. That's why it also provide Convert button beside Remux. This is rare. We tried over 70 video files and just found one doesn't work after remuxing. And it works after conversion.
    The catch is, some of these files that won't play in this app will play on the Playbook outside of this app. The reason I want to use this app and stream videos is because I was not wise by not opting for a larger capacity PB when I bought this 16GB one. I have no space to load video files on my PB. But I have had some of them loaded on it and know they do play fine. But those very same video files will not play in this app without being converted.
    04-22-12 11:52 AM
    The catch is, some of these files that won't play in this app will play on the Playbook outside of this app. The reason I want to use this app and stream videos is because I was not wise by not opting for a larger capacity PB when I bought this 16GB one. I have no space to load video files on my PB. But I have had some of them loaded on it and know they do play fine. But those very same video files will not play in this app without being converted.
    If your video is able to play in the PlayBook built-in player, StreamingNow will play that too because both players use same video playback api provided by OS. So their video playback ability should be exactly same, nothing less and nothing more. Remuxing and transcoding is used only when the video is not supported by PlayBook OS.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-22-12 01:52 PM
    If your video is able to play in the PlayBook built-in player, StreamingNow will play that too because both players use same video playback api provided by OS. So their video playback ability should be exactly same, nothing less and nothing more. Remuxing and transcoding is used only when the video is not supported by PlayBook OS.
    Yeah, you're right. Apologies. It seems they are now playing fine after reboots. The MP4 files wouldn't play after install, now they do play after several reboots. And the playback quality is superb on unconverted files.

I will provide positive feedback. Thanks for your support of the Playbook.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 04-22-12 at 02:38 PM.
    may21 likes this.
    04-22-12 02:34 PM
    Quote:
    I would like to see an option to "download" the remuxed / transcoded result to the playbook itself

+1 for this one
    This is coming next week.
    04-22-12 03:44 PM
    Anyone else having trouble running the media server on their pc? Still unable to connect my playbook? Any tips? I followed the directions on the site.

Thanks
    04-23-12 10:44 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD