I have an external hard drive hooked up to my wireless router and was wondering if there were any apps to stream movies/mp3s from there to my playbook. I searched and saw a few options but it looks like you have to install a program on my computer and stream from the computer's hard drive. I don't need to stream from outside of my LAN, though that might be a cool option, but honestly I probably wont ever use that feature. Any ideas?
    01-06-12 03:10 AM
    It think it's only possible if your network drive/NAS has support for web browsing.
    So that you can access it with your browser.
    01-06-12 04:04 AM
    why don't u just import the movie and or music to your PB and then errase then once you are done?
    01-06-12 04:30 AM
    Orb works really well.......and there is a playbook app (you can get it in app world for free). You have to install the app on your home computer first (also free), then install the playbook app (you can also just use your web browser)....you will be able to access all of your shared drives on your computer (including your external hard drive if you have it set up as a shared drive)....

I've been using it for a bit now and love it!.......have access to my movies, pics, documents, etc from anywhere I have an internet connection on my playbook....I highly recommend it!......video quality is very decent too when streaming movies....
    01-06-12 08:40 AM
    If your a Mac user try this.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ok-os7-681560/

Or install a simple web server and off you go. Orb is OK and all but it live converts the media to flash. This drags your computer down a lot and the video look like crap (to me).
    01-06-12 10:27 AM
    Ryatzu, if you are using the OS2.0, download the ESFile Explorer for Android, and set up the LAN part of the Explorer to streem whatever you have on your NAS. I have been using this setup since the .bar file was posted on the Android list. All works great, but do not expect full support for video formats.
    01-06-12 10:53 AM
    It think it's only possible if your network drive/NAS has support for web browsing.
    So that you can access it with your browser.
    i can view the folders on the network drive through the browser, but when i click the files, it doesn't stream the video, it tries to save it on the playbook

why don't u just import the movie and or music to your PB and then errase then once you are done?
    cause it's so much easier to stream

Orb works really well.......and there is a playbook app (you can get it in app world for free). You have to install the app on your home computer first (also free), then install the playbook app (you can also just use your web browser)....you will be able to access all of your shared drives on your computer (including your external hard drive if you have it set up as a shared drive)....

I've been using it for a bit now and love it!.......have access to my movies, pics, documents, etc from anywhere I have an internet connection on my playbook....I highly recommend it!......video quality is very decent too when streaming movies....
    i'll have to check out that orb thing.

Ryatzu, if you are using the OS2.0, download the ESFile Explorer for Android, and set up the LAN part of the Explorer to streem whatever you have on your NAS. I have been using this setup since the .bar file was posted on the Android list. All works great, but do not expect full support for video formats.
    not running 2.0...

If your a Mac user try this.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ok-os7-681560/

Or install a simple web server and off you go. Orb is OK and all but it live converts the media to flash. This drags your computer down a lot and the video look like crap (to me).
    does that work for movies too, not just mp3s?

thanks guys
    01-07-12 02:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD