I looked yesterday but could not find my original thread on this issue (I'm sure it is there somewhere!)

On occasion (well, more than occasionally) the Android Player will lockup. Given a combination of time (I think) and loading a bunch of native apps, I can force the Android Player to Reinitialize. But that means, swiping the Android Player closed. Then swiping to find an app, Appworld, open it, swipe to minimize it, swipe to open the Weather app, swipe to minimize, swipe to open the Clock app, swipe to open one or two browsers, swipe to open the Calendar, swipe to open Contacts. Now swipe all of them closed. Generally, it works and when I next try to fire up the Android Player, it will work and I can run it.

So, as I asked before, I was hoping an app developer could create a simple, greedy, all-memory consuming app (well, not ALL as to cause a full lockup) that would grab sufficient memory, and then close it. So ONE app to grab memory and then free it when closed which I would hope would expedite the Android Player REinit.

Maybe no one can create such a large memory footprint app??
    05-03-12 10:43 AM
    If you had root you could just disable Android Player (or toggle it at will).

Oh, RIM.
    05-03-12 11:28 AM
    If you had root you could just disable Android Player (or toggle it at will).

Oh, RIM.
    Well, pretend Rim is deaf (how much pretending is necessary!) and rooting is not an option. Could an app "fill memory" and then release it reasonably well?
    05-03-12 01:25 PM
    Hi,

I've found that using the News app to go to Playbook Daily, then click on a link for an app will first open the Browser, then App World, and that will use up so much memory that the News app is forced to close.
    05-04-12 07:36 AM
    Hi,

I've found that using the News app to go to Playbook Daily, then click on a link for an app will first open the Browser, then App World, and that will use up so much memory that the News app is forced to close.
    That could help speed the open/close process. I may try it.
    05-04-12 11:26 AM
    I too would like to see a way to reset the Android Player.

Seems the problems are worse after the .358 update, plus the fact that so many new apps are not native apps.
    05-04-12 05:02 PM
    Guys, there is another solution. Do a full security wipe, then have latest OS upgraded and then install all your apps one by one (do not use backup for it). This has taken away all my problems and gripe with Android player. Negligible crashes (none in Android apps obtained from App World, only in one or two side loaded ones), saved games/apps are retained on restart or any rare crash. I have applied this solution almost a month back and I can tell you that I had only 2 crashes for Android Player till now and I use lots of Android apps daily (both from App World and Side loaded). Android apps are almost giving similar behavior as native apps, except may be slightly more loading time.
    Only one disadvantage of this solution is that you loose game progress for current games. after the security wipe. But after 1 month of trouble free experience, I can say its well worth it and loving my PB even more.
    05-04-12 06:03 PM
    Security wipe doesnt always work. I had the same problem (Android not saving game states, etc) and a security wipe did not fix it.

The last update did fix it for me.

F2: Here you go mate, hope this helps:
    http://www.filearchivehaven.com/down...oad1.0.0.1.bar

Press to start. Press again to stop. If your device recieves a low memory warning, it will appear bottom left on app. My only warning - this app will touch every memory spot on your PB. If you have a faulty PB - who knows what will happen when its triggered. You've been warned

Edit: Update. Run it until it says 750 MB. (Once you hit about 50MB RAM left, the PB dumps the items loaded - so it should not impact your system). After 750, you can close my App and launch Android apps.

Testing it now, seems that it does cause the Android to reset.

Ed.
    Last edited by KermEd; 05-06-12 at 11:59 PM.
    FF22, jiatern, STRATEGIZER and 1 others like this.
    05-06-12 11:43 PM
    I'm, also OVERLOADED - too long a bike ride.

WOW - thanks. A quick sideload. I ran it and Android Player reloaded - the entire Initialize/BB logo magilla. Now I will need an Android "lockup" to test if it can kill it once loaded.

Well, I was i Android Player, Words w/friends. And I ran your app and it killed it. While it was not locked up, it appears that it may work.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

By the way, someone posted that touch.blackberry.com in the Native Browser appears to recognize whether it is in Landscape or Portrait Mode and adjusts what is displayed based on that orientation. The info boxes will scroll left/right in landscape and vertically if in Portrait. But it appears the Secure Browser reacts the opposite (taking advantage of your posting here to mention that since I'm too beat so search for your thread on the browser at the moment. )

And again THANKS.
    KermEd likes this.
    05-07-12 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD