I got the refusal letter twice.

Once from Mike Kirkup and once from the Paul Cebo. Both stating that I did not qualify because they are looking for game devs for the NDK.

I don't do graphics, only programming. So unfortunately I can't really do games.

But yes, I do confirm that RIM is looking for game devs for the NDK beta atm.
    09-15-11 06:40 AM
    I got the refusal letter twice.

Once from Mike Kirkup and once from the Paul Cebo. Both stating that I did not qualify because they are looking for game devs for the NDK.

I don't do graphics, only programming. So unfortunately I can't really do games.

But yes, I do confirm that RIM is looking for game devs for the NDK beta atm.
    If you reply to those rejection e-mails, and explain your case, they may change their mind. (You just need to be prepared to deal with a raw OpenGL ES capable system, and have to provide all your own GUI code on top of it. Game developers do this already, which is probably why they are currently focusing it in that direction.)
    09-15-11 07:41 AM
    If you reply to those rejection e-mails, and explain your case, they may change their mind. (You just need to be prepared to deal with a raw OpenGL ES capable system, and have to provide all your own GUI code on top of it. Game developers do this already, which is probably why they are currently focusing it in that direction.)
    Maybe I won't read into this and just ask: So the ndk is not very useful at this point for developing apps that are not games? So the ndk is still far from being a useful tool for developing native apps of all kinds for our 5-6 month old platform? Terrific.
    09-15-11 08:57 AM
    Maybe I won't read into this and just ask: So the ndk is not very useful at this point for developing apps that are not games? So the ndk is still far from being a useful tool for developing native apps of all kinds for our 5-6 month old platform? Terrific.
    I am a Java programmer and I never thought that I would be saying this, but here goes: I was pleasantly surprised by the AIR SDK's capabilities.

I now accept the fact that AIR is perfectly acceptable SDK for the vast majority of non-game apps. I would add "if only it was completed" but I fear that I would have to write pages of explanation.

There are a lot of people who are under the impression that the NDK's release will be accompanied by a rash of "useful" and much-needed apps. You will see some ports of open source C++ apps and some nifty apps that need direct access to hardware. And you will see some driver-type applications that extend the AIR SDKs capabilities. And you will see a lot of high-performance games.

But, the improvements that NDK will bring will be incremental in nature and will not instantly improve PB sales in the way that many of us are hoping. It will be a welcome tool in the developer's toolkit but it is not a panacea.
    09-15-11 10:18 AM
    For me it's mostly because I'm much more competent with C/C++ than ActionScript3. Infact I know nothing about AS3. For UI, it's fine I can work with OpenGL, I've done things in the past with it (unless ES is very different).

I might try that though, replying and checking with them. I don't mind if all I have is nothing and have to build a UI or console. I'm sure I could muster something useful with it.
    09-15-11 02:32 PM
    Another week goes by, another week of silence. Presumably some have received access and have been beaten down to not saying so. Others have received a rejection notice, or even two! Some say look in your beta zone account, you may have been invited there, with no email notification.

For my part, just nothing. No acceptance, rejection, invitation, kiss-my-you-know-what, nothing.

At RIM, the Vice President for Enforcing the Cone of Silence will be (probably the only one) getting a big fat performance bonus this year.
    09-16-11 08:35 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD