I have signed up over a week ago and I am still waiting to be contacted within 2 business days...

Has anyone been contacted or not contacted within 2 days of signing up?
    09-07-11 04:05 PM
    It's coming soon. Down the road. What you need to understand is this. I didn't say that.

Pick one of RIMS standard answers from the above.

Tim
    09-07-11 04:12 PM
    I got denied today, they are looking for game developers only
    09-07-11 04:38 PM
    Yeah, same here.
    09-07-11 05:24 PM
    A half dozen of us in the IRC chat (#playbook-dev) got turned down as well, because we didn't "meet the beta criteria" which was, in effect, to say "I'm going to write Open GL ES games" when asked what your purpose was for getting the beta.
    09-07-11 05:30 PM
    Oh, good. We can look forward to nothing that makes dealing with pdf or spreadsheets any better. Wonderful.

I wonder what phantom apps Rim has WAITING (and waiting) in the wings that they don't want competition for?
    Last edited by F2; 09-07-11 at 07:06 PM.
    Darlaten likes this.
    09-07-11 06:17 PM
    Oh dear lord. You are not serious are you? If I wanted a hand held gaming device, I'll get the PSP Vita - it does skype by the way

While I dont mind games on the Playbook, I was really hoping that the release of the NDK would actually see some serious productivity apps in development.

It's disappointing to see them denying people/developers who were looking at bringing something useful to the device.
    09-07-11 07:40 PM
    Oh dear lord. You are not serious are you? If I wanted a hand held gaming device, I'll get the PSP Vita - it does skype by the way

While I dont mind games on the Playbook, I was really hoping that the release of the NDK would actually see some serious productivity apps in development.

It's disappointing to see them denying people/developers who were looking at bringing something useful to the device.
    it wasnt "released" though, its a closed beta.
    09-07-11 08:52 PM
    They could of at least had the decency to reject me instead of keeping my hopes up ;(
    09-08-11 01:59 AM
    The NDK closed beta is currentlt aimed at Game developers. So if you didn't make it explicitly clear you wanted to develop games, then you will not be granted access to the closed beta. Also, log into beta zone and see if you are eligible for the program already. I know of people that did not receive an email, but noticed in beta zone that they had been invited to participate.
    09-08-11 02:02 AM
    I had received an email about the NDK saying open beta zone and check eligible programs, fill out the form and I will be granted access. There is nothing in my eligible programs other than the usual ones and I have no access... Has anyone received that email?

EDIT: They had given me access on another email and had to activate that beta zone account to access it. WOOP
    Last edited by unome1233; 09-08-11 at 02:10 AM.
    09-08-11 02:05 AM
    I was denied too for the beta as well as every other developer I know. In fact I was denied twice. The first denial came from Mike Kirkup and he doesn't even work at rim anymore. Looks like they had the denials planned way in advance. Not only that but they didn't reply to my repeated emails I sent several times during the year regarding the alliance program.

Thanks again RIM! Keep up with the good 'Developer Relations'!
    09-09-11 01:55 PM
    I was denied too for the beta as well as every other developer I know. In fact I was denied twice. The first denial came from Mike Kirkup and he doesn't even work at rim anymore. Looks like they had the denials planned way in advance.
    Yup same thing happened to me, I only signed up once but got denied twice by 2 different people.
    09-09-11 02:07 PM
    Why would a rookie like me be granted access then? Their selection process must be top notch
    09-09-11 02:29 PM
    Do you work for EA? Poynt? That seems to be their selection criteria
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    09-09-11 02:30 PM
    Yup same thing happened to me, I only signed up once but got denied twice by 2 different people.
    I'll direct to this you but it is more generic...

Can you developers sell PB apps through MobiHand or other outlet and allow sideloading? I'm sure it is more complex than I make it sound! At least with developers we've grown to know from out BB apps, the trust/reviews/etc would be maybe a bit less of an issue.
    09-09-11 02:36 PM
    I'll direct to this you but it is more generic...

Can you developers sell PB apps through MobiHand or other outlet and allow sideloading? I'm sure it is more complex than I make it sound! At least with developers we've grown to know from out BB apps, the trust/reviews/etc would be maybe a bit less of an issue.
    No but if you pay $2000 to be an alliance member you will get a couple of 'secret api's'.
    09-09-11 02:51 PM
    Do you work for EA? Poynt? That seems to be their selection criteria
    Not even close
    09-09-11 03:03 PM
    Hmm... interesting. must have been a glitch then. ... or maybe you were strategically chosen because you are a rookie so they knew you would have been excited and would post everywhere "Hey!! I'm in the NDK program! I'm going to make lots of apps! This is great! I can't wait to work with all the other developers to crank out great new apps for the PB!" - giving the impression that tons of devs have been selected and 1000's of new NDK built apps are 'on the way!'

Interesting how they conveniently didn't mention the beta program was only for game devs when they announced it.
    09-09-11 03:10 PM
    That is definitely what I am doing. Good one.
    09-09-11 03:58 PM
    Interesting how they conveniently didn't mention the beta program was only for game devs when they announced it.
    Well, or not so interesting...

What do you think would have happened if they'd said "You're invited to apply for the NDK closed beta. Note that only those who say they are going to use it for OpenGL games will be accepted." ?

Somehow I doubt they'd get any devs saying they'd be writing anything but games. ;-)
    09-09-11 08:38 PM
    It makes sense though because the NDK in its current state has no real GUI aspects. So if a non game dev wanted to program a productivity app for instance, it would all have to be graphic based.
    09-10-11 02:18 AM
    Well if they let app developers loose without a UI toolkit it would guarantee pretty nice apps (all GL ES 1.1/2.0).

P.S. Am I allowed to drop native .bar's on here or would that be against NDA?
    09-10-11 03:29 AM
    No word yet. Very frustrated. Beta form clearly said first come first served, notification within two days (which they have since removed.)

How can I get anything out of bb dev conference for playbook if I can't even use the tools before I get there?
    09-14-11 10:52 PM
    Game developers? I thought Research In Motion was touting the BlackBerry PlayBook as "the first professional grade tablet." Apparently, they meant professional game players aka gamers. Game players... gamers... maybe RIM was being honest afterall because thus far we have been gamed to the turn of 499.00+ just for the tablet. When I begin graduate school next year it will be interesting to see how much of my "educational experience" can be achieved with this tablet.
    09-15-11 03:38 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD