Just something I was curious about and thought I would share -

I was interested to know, after 4 months of being available to the public, how many apps were available for the iPad.

An important date - the iPad (Wifi Version) was released on April 3rd, 2010.

According to this website - App Store: Now With Over 20.000 iPad Apps - after 4 months of being in stores, on August 13th 2010, the App Store overtook the 20,000 app mark.

Now, I was still curious - see, I knew that a lot of iPhone apps were basically directly ported over to the iPad, with minimal time to do so. ****, the latest bit of news regarding the Skype app was that they FINALLY released an actual iPad optimized version, having been using the iPhone version instead.

So I continued my search to find out - what were the top apps available at this time. Here is a list of the top 10 from this website: iPad App Store Now 20,000 Apps Strong - Here Are The Best -- AppAdvice
    1.Reeder for iPad (RSS Reader – $4.99)
    As a blogger, I read an awful lot of posts every day through a bunch of RSS feeds. Ever since I discovered Reeder, I use it all day long. It’s the single app I spend the most time using and I can’t get myself to go through my feeds on any other device or app anymore. It’s also tightly integrated into our AppAdvice workflow and is just great.

2.Flipboard (Social Aggregator- free)
    I used to spend a good part of my day following links in my Twitter feed and opening lots of windows everywhere to allow me to read them throughout the day. It was a mess. That’s now a thing of the past thanks to Flipboard. I’m even reading Facebook updates again.

3.Instapaper ($4.99)
    Instapaper was the app I really waited for, and it’s everything I hoped it would be. It integrates amazingly with Reeder and Flipboard when I don’t have time to finish an article.

4.iBooks (eBook reader – free)
    It’s an obvious one, but it’s so helpful not having to carry books around anymore.

5.AirVideo (Mac to iPad video streaming – $2.99)
    I watch tons of TV shows. Now I can do that on my iPad without having to move my MacBook Pro off my desk. I would probably enjoy Hulu+, Netflix and the ABC app, if only I were in the US…

6.iTeleport (VNC client – $19.99)
    Lets me launch the AirVideo server on my Mac remotely (when I forgot).

7.CineXPlayer (Video player – free)
    When I don’t get around to transcoding my shows into mp4, CineXplayer can read them natively. It kills the battery a bit fast though.

8.Angry Birds HD (Game – $4.99)
    It keeps my better half busy when I need some extra time to finish a post.

9.MyWi 4.0
    From the jailbreak. It allows me to get a cheap pre-paid unlimited (or like 2GB) iPad data plan anywhere in the world and share the connection with my Mac and iPhone. Cheap data everywhere.

10.Safari & Mail
    Stock apps, probably my most used ones after Reeder.
    Well ya know, that seems like an awfully lame list. So I continued my search for another top 10 list - I found one for Dec. 2010 (With around 50,000 apps at this point) listed here: The Full List Of The Top iPhone And iPad Apps Of 2010 | TechCrunch

===========================
    Overall Top 10 PAID iPad Apps

1.Pages
    2.GoodReader for iPad
    3.Numbers
    4.Angry Birds HD
    5.Keynote
    6.Glee Karaoke
    7.WolframAlpha
    8.Pinball HD
    9.Friendly for Facebook
    10.Star Walk for iPad

===========================
    Overall Top 10 FREE iPad Apps

1.iBooks
    2.Pandora Radio
    3.Netflix
    4.Google Mobile App
    5.Solitaire
    6.Movies by Flixster – with Rotten Tomatoes
    7.IMDb Movies & TV
    8.Kindle
    9.Google Earth
    10.Virtuoso Piano Free 2 HD
    Now, it may just be me, but for a device that had no previous OS to help get its apps count off the ground, and hasn't even released a Native Software Development Kit yet - opening the door for a wider variety of developers - I am not unhappy with my app selection by comparison.

***Assuming*** they keep their word and deliver an Android App Player in the next 3 months, I can honestly say I believe we will have had a better selection of apps for our device than ANY iOS device has had at a comparable time after launching. I'll even wager we will have a damn near competing number of QUALITY/SUPER/MUST-HAVE apps versus the CURRENT Apple App Store.

Just keepin' it optimistic.
    AbsoluteT23 likes this.
    08-10-11 07:11 AM
    I don't think I'm going to need many apps besides a good IM one. Other then that I can find most of what I want and need on the web. Now give me that missing functionality and I'll be good to go with an IM app.
    08-10-11 07:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD