I was thinking about buying a Logoitech Squeezebox before I got my PB. Today I realized that the PB would make a perfect control face if someone developed a "squeezebox-like" app ! And it has better speakers than the S-box.
    What do you think - could this be real?

What is a Squeezebox?
    Logitech Squeezebox Wireless Internet Radio: The Logitech Squeezebox Radio works with your Wi-Fi network to stream a world of crystal-clear music to any room in your house. You can play songs from
    (1) your personal digital music collection,
    (2) tune in to thousands of Internet radio stations from around the globe, and
    (3) connect to online services like Pandora, Slacker or Rhapsody.
    Listen thru the single speaker or output to another device (note - the S-Boombox model has superior sound)
    12-13-11 08:21 PM
    I was thinking about buying a Logoitech Squeezebox before I got my PB. Today I realized that the PB would make a perfect control face if someone developed a "squeezebox-like" app ! And it has better speakers than the S-box.
    What do you think - could this be real
    It's not exactly what I think you are asking, but there are a couple of squeezebox clients in the app store ( I'm using Music2Touch right now actually). The squeezebox server software is opensource so someone could in theory do a QNX port that would run on the playbook. What I think you want though is all three components together on the playbook (i.e controller, server and receiver/player). Is the player open source? I suspect it is but I am not positive on that.
    12-13-11 09:38 PM
    What do you think - could this be real?
    It's a bit unclear what you are asking for. There's are two controllers available on Playbook for the Squeezebox: music2touch and squeezeytunes. There is also one player (which as of this writing does not yet have a controller built into it -- so it is a player on), squeeze2pb.

Nothing as fancy as ipeng unfortunately, but the key things are there.
    glassofpinot and nimrodity like this.
    05-18-12 07:28 PM
    Thx for the tip with squeeze2pb,absolutely great app,was looking forward and while for an app like this.
    Because of the superior Sound compared to my iPad this one's way better than the ipeng Player which I almost bought,and squeeze2pb is cheaper and does the Job just fine
    05-19-12 12:39 AM
    I had a look at squeeze2pb but it says only mp3 and Ogg Vorbis formats are supported and most of my music is FLAC. Instead I'm using the free MusicStreamer app by Joe Marshall to play an MP3 stream converted on the fly by the Squeezebox Server software on my PC. This works OK with BitRate limiting set at 256 kbps and LAME quality at 5.

MusicStreamer is (I think) a ported Android app and is insisting on portrait mode which is a pain so I'm on the look out for another player.

PS for the OP: if you run the SqueexeBox Server software on a PC you can control it using the PlayBook's browser without the need for a dedicated app (though a good one would be nice)
    Last edited by sharmuk; 05-19-12 at 07:26 AM.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    05-19-12 07:16 AM
    on of the best free android apps for controlling the squeezebox is the dicontinued squeezecontrol.Its my default app on my smartphone and i use it a lot on my playbook aswell.
    its very simple but really fast
    squeezecontrol.bar
    05-19-12 08:14 AM
    I had a look at squeeze2pb but it says only mp3 and Ogg Vorbis formats are supported and most of my music is FLAC.
    FWIW, I added flac support to squeeze2pb, now.

I think what it really needs next, is a simple controller, in order to be more convenient.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    07-19-12 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD