06-27-11 04:08 PM
37 12
tools
    Make it so that you can connect by bluetooth to other PBs and partner up with human or AI. THAT would be sweet!
    06-02-11 04:09 PM
    We actually had a meeting today to determine if peer-to-peer play via Bluetooth could be implemented. Unfortunately, RIM's SDK (Software Development Kit) does not support any interface to the Bluetooth functionality. We'll re-evaluate the situation as soon as RIM releases tools to support Bluetooth interaction.

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    BlackBerry App World - SouthernTouch Spades
    06-02-11 04:38 PM
    Yah...this version of spades is nice. I agree, not sure about hearts, would love to see a backgammon game for my pb baby.
    06-04-11 01:36 AM
    I've submitted a new version of SouthernTounch Spades, 1.0.6, featuring an adjustable speed of play option and the ability to turn off the 10-bag penalty. Partial support for French, Spanish, and German language is also included. Look for this update to become available later this week.

Backgammon is progressing, though probably slower than many of you would like. Again, thanks for your support and patience.

Darwin Pinder
    SouthernTouch Technologies
    06-05-11 11:45 PM
    I updated my OS version this morning. It seems to have fixed the category view (finally). I can see your game in the cards section now.

I'm waiting for your next one
    06-07-11 10:15 AM
    Any lead on why it isn't in the card games category?
    This was caused by a bug in the PlayBook App World Client. Apparently, the first time you view any category it loads the apps that are currently available and never refreshes the view. But the new PlayBook software update (v.1.0.5.2304) has fixed this.

SouthernTouch Spades is now listed as the second app in the Games/Cards/Paid category, and the sixth in Games/Cards/All. I'm not sure what algorithm they use to determine the order of those apps, but I'm satisfied with the placement anyway. Now if RIM would just make it a featured app.

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    06-07-11 10:20 AM
    Maybe I'm just not very good, but I'm having a hard time winning a game. The AI partner plays well and consistently makes his bids or 1 over, so that's not the problem. Is there any way you could add an adjustable difficulty level?... for people who suck?
    06-13-11 11:14 AM
    Maybe I'm just not very good, but I'm having a hard time winning a game. The AI partner plays well and consistently makes his bids or 1 over, so that's not the problem. Is there any way you could add an adjustable difficulty level?... for people who suck?
    Sorry you're having a hard time winning. I have been considering adjustable difficulty levels, but you are the first person to request it, so it just hasn't been prioritized yet.

I have submitted a new version (1.0.7) that should be approved early next week. Version 1.0.7 adds a button to access the help screen after you started a game. It also includes some tweaks under the hood to improve efficiency and make it easier for me to maintain future releases.

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    06-16-11 11:45 AM
    Wow, RIM is really on the ball today. Version 1.0.7 has been approved 3 hours after it was submitted.

Si parlez-vous franais, il y a une version pour vous maintenant.

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    06-16-11 02:14 PM
    Well well, look who's on the featured app page… Congrats.
    06-20-11 04:13 PM
    I've submitted a new version of SouthernTounch Spades, 1.0.6, featuring an adjustable speed of play option and the ability to turn off the 10-bag penalty. Partial support for French, Spanish, and German language is also included. Look for this update to become available later this week.

Backgammon is progressing, though probably slower than many of you would like. Again, thanks for your support and patience.

Darwin Pinder

Any update on Backgammon?? I'm trying hard to wait patiently but it's not easy!

(Sorry to highjack the Spades thread, I'm still enjoying that game and happy to see you're still giving it some developmental love)
    06-24-11 01:57 PM
    Any update on Backgammon?? I'm trying hard to wait patiently but it's not easy!

(Sorry to highjack the Spades thread, I'm still enjoying that game and happy to see you're still giving it some developmental love)
    No problem--thanks for your interest. We haven't had much time to devote to Backgammon, but I do have a framework started for the game. As you probably know, a decent backgammon AI is fairly nuanced and will take quite a bit of work to develop.

We are considering an initial release of a free version that does not support matches (or consequently, doubling). This should allow us to get a game out a little sooner and start collecting input to help refine our product for a premium version.

Unfortunately, we haven't "struck it rich" in the mobile development game yet, and we are still beholden to our employer. SouthernTouch Spades has been averaging 4 sales a day (split between a team of two). Last week, while we were featured, we were seeing about 15 sales a day. To be frank, the experience has been thoroughly discouraging from a business standpoint.

Still, we've seen over 200 sales in 19 countries, with 12 reviews averaging about 4.8 stars, so that's pretty cool. We're going to continue refining our Spades game and developing Backgammon and new games for the PlayBook in hopes that the platform takes off.

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    06-27-11 04:08 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD